Japanese Water Stones - Sharpening Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

velvetmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
Co Down
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a sharpening set to sharpen a GB Wildlife Axe and a Frost Mora.

Saw the other posts regarding making your won, unfortunately, spare time is the rarest of commodities.

I've done some basic searching on the web, and there are many different types out there - Too many for me to be able to make a distinction.

I saw Mr. Mears going through the three grades of waterstones, and would be willing to spring for them, but any thoughts you could give would be greatly appreciated. Please include price estimation

Thanks

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Axminster tools have double-sided waterstones for £22.45.

I think (my memory is a little hazy) that Dave Budd suggested the 250/1000 would be the more useful of the 2 (the other option is 1000/6000), then finishing with a strop.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I use the GB sharpening puck when I'm out to sharpen everything, axe, knife, golok, SAK you name it, it'll sharpen it. Its a good little combi stone & for me one thing I really like is its compact size. So you can throw it in a backpack and until needed forget about it.

But I want to get a double-sided waterstone which I'm thinking of cutting down to a smaller packable size. I'm thinking of a 800/1200 as that would give me a good working edge. I do take a strop I made out with me to which would give it the finer edge I prefer.

I'll be interested with peoples suggestions posted here too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE