Axe sharpening tutorial or video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
OK folks,

I've had a GB SFA for ages and despite my best efforts in denial, I really should sharpen the thing.

The edge isn't totally wasted, it does however, need a wee bit of TLC.

So...
The question is does anybody know of a decent vid of a how to sharpen using a GB puck like sharpening stone?

I've seen Ray Mears (and a few others via youtube) using Japanese Wet Stones, but as I don't have these, and given that a GB axe stone costs less than £30, this would be my prefered option.

Cheers,
Chris

edit: I should have said that I have read through the excellent tutorial by British Red and although I get the theory I would quite like to see it done in "real life ":rolleyes:

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Best way to sharpen a small/medium sixe axe bar none is the mousemat method.

Basically a block of wood, with some foam mousemat/sleepmat glued to it, and wet and dry pinned over it. Just sharpen your axe on that as you would a knife on a water stone. The foam enables the wet and dry to follow the convex edge most axes have, keeping a perfect edge and the whole thing always looks tidy. Go through the grits 240, 400 and 600 and strop. If you want a polished bevel, go higher on the wet and dry upto maybe 1200 grit.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Best way to sharpen a small/medium sixe axe bar none is the mousemat method.

Basically a block of wood, with some foam mousemat/sleepmat glued to it, and wet and dry pinned over it. Just sharpen your axe on that as you would a knife on a water stone. The foam enables the wet and dry to follow the convex edge most axes have, keeping a perfect edge and the whole thing always looks tidy. Go through the grits 240, 400 and 600 and strop. If you want a polished bevel, go higher on the wet and dry upto maybe 1200 grit.

Thanks for the advice.

I have never really needed to try the mouse mat method as most of my knifes are scandi grind, which i find I can keep sharp using my DC4.
However, given that the axe needs a bit of attention I need to give myself a bit of a shake and start looking at these other methods.

Cheers
Chris

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
there was superb demo on mousemat sharpening done by one of the knife shops, i can't find it now though.

this is a reasonable demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSkzZr_lKY&feature=related

cheers, and.

Thanks Andy,

The first vid shows how simple it is to set up the sandpaper/mousemat method. Nice one!

The second set of videos are really comprehensive, covering it all. Great stuff!

That's it then. Nothing else for it.:rolleyes:
I will just have to learn to sharpen a convex edge and the mousemat method seems the way forward.

Not all bad though.
The axe will end up sharp, I won't have to shell out on yet another sharpening stone and I might be able to use the F1 I have had for ages and not used because I wasn't confident I could resharpen it!:eek::):lmao:

ATB
Chris

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah it works well on convex knives too. Though i find that for sharpening an F1, a thinner piece of foam works better than the thicker stuff i use for axes.

Thanks Andy,

The first vid shows how simple it is to set up the sandpaper/mousemat method. Nice one!

The second set of videos are really comprehensive, covering it all. Great stuff!

That's it then. Nothing else for it.:rolleyes:
I will just have to learn to sharpen a convex edge and the mousemat method seems the way forward.

Not all bad though.
The axe will end up sharp, I won't have to shell out on yet another sharpening stone and I might be able to use the F1 I have had for ages and not used because I wasn't confident I could resharpen it!:eek::):lmao:

ATB
Chris

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you're more than welcome. i've been meaning to find that video again for a while.

much like hillbill, as rule of thumb, i recommend a thin mousemat with a hard(ish) plastic face. use it soft side up for axes, but hard side up for knives.

we recently introduced a professional survival instructor to this method on one of our scout leader courses. he was astonished, apparently he'd never had a knife that sharp before! (fallkniven f1)

cheers, and.

Last edited:

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
you're more than welcome. i've been meaning to find that video again for a while.

much like hillbill, as rule of thumb, i recommend a thin mousemat with a hard(ish) plastic face. use it soft side up for axes, but hard side up for knives.

we recently introduced a professional survival instructor to this method on one of our scout leader courses. he was astonished, apparently he'd never had a knife that sharp before! (fallkniven f1)

cheers, and.

Thanks again.
I'll definately give it a go.
I hear you on the F1. The thing is I have more than enough good scandi users so I don't suppose I'm in any great hurry to use the falkie.
TBH while I'm sure it is superb for hard use, for my purposes, the blades is pretty thick.
Still, I bought it and I know I will need to get it dirty.

I suppose if I make a total mess of it I could send it off to Longstrider to work his magic.:eek:

Cheers
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE