Japanese Pruning Saw's

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres certainly a lot to be said for secateurs BB has two sets in a multi tool configuration that she really likes in the field - I have found them very useful in shelter building and many other tasks

652518360_c0dd072cd0.jpg

652518344_fb288248a3.jpg

Size wise the Silky pocket boy is a little smaller than the Laplander and about the same balde thickness and stiffness although it has more agressive teeth

400914312_d008e16b60_o.jpg

I do agree that "small and handy" are much better than "big and brutal"

Red

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I seem to be leaning toward gardeners world here but here goes!!

I too carry a pair of Secateurs when i go for a wander . I use a pair of Felco 2's and have had them for about 7 years, really well made with a carbon steel blade.

With good technique you can cut through thumb thickness and more depending on the wood. Makes collecting arrows shafts from a hazel thicket quick and clean with little disturbance to the rest of the shrub.

check them out, not very bush-crafty i suppose sorry.

http://www.worldoffelco.co.uk/products/Felco Secateurs/301/L109FEL001.html

maybe i should change my use name to Monty don.

B

bosknurft

Is it possible to get standard 30 cm japanese saw blade to put in normal saws? I mean to ask if there are blades which I could use with the Commando Pack Saw I got. http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod739.htm

My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I recently stumbled upon
this store, which sells replaceable 50 and 60cm Japanese saw blades. Perhaps you could send the owner an email.

Gailainne

Life Member
My old pruning saw, an old C&K thing, but with a really nice blade, finally gave up the ghost at the moot, a big crack appeared, at the pivot, which in the end broke.

Anyway in conversation and a demo of a Silky by Addo, Paul last time at Delamere, I bought one, I may have been a tad ambitious, as I settled on the 30cm Gumboy, boy, is it big, more bang for the buck I thought, eh perhaps not.

It does however cut very well, (its a pull saw, I think they all are).

One bad point, it states in the blurb that it locks in the closed postion, it does'nt.

I'm making a sheath for it anyway (glad I got that extra leather now) so that should'nt pose a problem, but its something to consider.

Whether I would like it hanging from my waist, or hang from a baldrick all day is another matter. Time will tell.

Stephen

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I just purchased myself a new silky nata noko 330mm last week as I was taking a tree down for my step father, I showed it to him saying how good it was, his reply was "its a saw so what" after he swaw me cut through a branch 10 inches thick like it was butter he quickly asked me for a go. After 10 minutes of him cutting through any bits of tree he could find like a mad man with a big grin on his face, he retracted his comment and said I've got to get me one of those!.

law

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
north wales
am an arborist and use silkys on a daily basis i have the gomtaro and can highly recommened it . it cames with a steel karibiner very handy for attaching to harness or pack.already been mentioned but have a first aid kit to hand with steri strips because these things can sure bite.a colleague at work managed to slice clean through three fingernails with his last week.these are top bits of kit and outmatch the laplander saw in speed and strength you could easily fell small trees with it .i have done!

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have a laplander and I think its ok as a small saw for dead wood, Silkys are far more superior though. I know that the Gomtaro's do two saws one with 7.5 teeth per 30mm for green wood and one with 12 for dead wood. They are belting saws I quite like the Zubats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE