Jack by the Hedge

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It seems to be everywhere this year, much more plentiful than normal. Anyone noticed this too and any theories as to why?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We've got a solitary small clump round here, which is the only one for blinking miles. Not common here at all, will have to go look and see how it's doing. If it's even stuck it's head above the parapet, bit colder here.:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dead opposite where i am, what are normally good sized patches are in places, almost non existent this year, definite decrease in the amount of JBTH, but the Alexanders have gone made, so not all bad:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I see tonnes of the stuff up the lanes on my way to work, sometimes I slow down to stick my hand out the window and grab some.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We've got a solitary small clump round here, which is the only one for blinking miles. Not common here at all, will have to go look and see how it's doing. If it's even stuck it's head above the parapet, bit colder here.:)

Please ignore me, not with it today, I was thinking of Lords and Ladies, Arum maculatum for some odd reason.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Dead opposite where i am, what are normally good sized patches are in places, almost non existent this year, definite decrease in the amount of JBTH, but the Alexanders have gone made, so not all bad:)

That's very strange. Apart from where I live I've also noticed more in the Chilterns where it is growing in places I've not seen it before. I would have thought the growing conditions are pretty similar to where you are Kepis.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's very strange. Apart from where I live I've also noticed more in the Chilterns where it is growing in places I've not seen it before. I would have thought the growing conditions are pretty similar to where you are Kepis.

Could be something to do with the salt air i suppose, im less than a mile from the sea at most, there again could also be attributed to over spray from the farm.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Does it not have a basal growth one year and pushes out the next? The basal would not be as obvious.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands

Exactly like that here. Only one bush on my entire (23 km2) island. I intend to get some seeds from that bush and spread it to more places, as it is a nice plant.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I see it everywhere around here, too. But last year I didn't know anythig about this plant, so I believe it is just me now looking different at the plants around me and that's why I see so much of it now.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I hadn't really thought about it until I read this thread earlier. I went out for a bimble this afternoon (to cut sticks to make pot hangers to show some Guides we have on site later this week) and Jack in the Hedge was everywhere. I'm pretty sure that there has not been this much around for the last couple of years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE