Ive took the plunge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
maybe all my crayfishing experditions have made me more aware of the free food we can get from our waters, so as the title say's, I've took the plunge and ordered a sea fishing rod starter package, 2 rods and reels and bits and bobs to get us started (wife enjoys this stuff too) as we live in grays,essex, and have grays beach on our doorstep near enough, seems nearly everything that can be caught, can also be eaten,
catches probably wont be on the same easiness of the crays, or the amounts, but it'll be enjoyable trying, hopefully will be able to report back with some interesting accounts in the coming weeks

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Good luck, looking at the match reports around here there's not much in the pond! Competition anglers have started fishing the rock pools for tiddlers - one match was one by a 4oz fish!!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
im starting beach fishing for food aswell, been practically living off shell fish and various coastal plants so i figured i'd try to expand my diet with little fish :)

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Been there, done that, caught b*gger all! My motivation was the same as yours.

The golden rule seems to be location, location, location. Oh, and season, season, season!

Don't let me put you off though, you may do well. I took a friend and beginner's luck seemed to rule - ok! Given the right conditions, tides, season, weather, bait and many other factors you may come back with enough to stock your freezer. Any form of fishing is skillful, requiring all the cunning and knowledge of any hunter, just randomly throwing a chunk of bait on a hook into the sea might not produce results.

I wanted to catch fish for the pot. It was me that got caught. Just being there, doing it, taking in the scenery, wildlife, watching the tide coming in, the enjoyment list goes on. It was a pleasurable experience even when I caught nothing and lost a heap of tackle.

Bottom line: If you catch fish it will be a bonus but don't expect to. Have the right frame of mind and just enjoy the other stuff. If you do catch - great! If you don't - well theres always another time!

BTW: A trip to the west coast of Scotland produced more fish than I could hope to eat. Ireland is supposed to be a Mecca for fishing off the shore, and my limited experience would confirm this. The Bristol Channel at this time of year normally produces cod catches.

Tight lines!

Paul

the thing to do with fishing is to enjoy always and see fish catching as a secondry item, but apart from that yes i would go for it.

dont forget to run out with your crayfish traps when the tide goes out, tie then down as far out as you can, we normaly use a battery drill and raw plus and a hook, bait up your traps with some thing very smelly and when the tide runs out again see if you have caught any fish/crabs/lobster/prawns

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Hi

I wish you the best of luck. Remember all the time your hook is in the water, you have a chance of catching fish. There are obviously many things that greatly increase your chances of catching fish. In my opinion local knowledge and practical experience is a must. As our ensuring your hooks are always, always needle sharp and have bait on them, and that the bait correctly matches the hook size. Many people make the mistake in masking their hook point with two much bait.

I've been fishing on and off for as long as I can remember, more recently was lucky enough to have the opportunity of skippering a professional charter fishing boat. I like to think I now have a good grasp of the subject, and more so than ever, realise there is still so much can be learned on this subject.

I have been very lucky in the past to gain first-hand experience from seasoned dedicated anglers and professional fishermen.

If you really want to increase your chances both of knowing when to fish, and when not to, as well as how and where to fish, you really want to get first-hand professional knowledge.

You need to be careful of advice from undercover novices and those who have a narrow margin of experience.

Good luck

Fraser

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE