I've been decorating.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Some of you may remember that a while ago I put up a request for old OS maps. People have been very generous so I thought it would be nice to post up a couple of pics to show what I've been doing with them.

We still have more to do but so far we are really pleased with how it is looking. Thanks again for your generosity folks. :thankyou:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have a double storey open stairwell and I do that with maps too :D
It seems 'right' somehow :approve: but when I first did it over 25 years ago our neighbour was less than impressed :rolleyes:
I think among the present company though; I still think it's a really good idea :D
I've been trying to compile enough photos of Scotland to make up a giant map of them for the wall when we redecorate this time round.

atb,
Toddy

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks great, we did the exact same thing in one of our rooms..I agree with Toddy it just seems right, and looks awesome I reckon :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks really cool mate; a great thing to do with the old maps, and they're such very nice things with that beautifully detailed printing................

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
We have a double storey open stairwell and I do that with maps too :D
It seems 'right' somehow :approve: but when I first did it over 25 years ago our neighbour was less than impressed :rolleyes:
I think among the present company though; I still think it's a really good idea :D
I've been trying to compile enough photos of Scotland to make up a giant map of them for the wall when we redecorate this time round.

atb,
Toddy

Oooooo! Now your giving me ideas for another wall. I like the idea of a giant wall sized personal photo mosaic.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

At first I thought I'd just get ones of the appropriate area, then I had another thought about getting the appropriate area in season so that the colours kind of looked 'map' like too.
Too damned clever sometimes :sigh: it's made it a looooong process.

greensurfingbear that's a brilliant idea :D our tiny little downstairs loo needs to be repainted and papered and I couldn't find a single wallpaper that I liked. I never gave the maps a thought :rolleyes: I have an old Atlas that's just the very thing for the job.
Sorted :D :D

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not sure that my wife would go for that - she complains enough about my "Trophy Wall" in my workroom (OK it is now 2 walls) with flags from all the countries I have visited on exped with souvenirs such as T-shirt and caps signed by the exped members, worn out Tilley hats, San bow and arrow set, Ghanaian canoe paddle, wooden assagai etc, etc.
Mind you - I love it and would willingly paper the other 2 walls with maps of where the expeds took place!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
That really does look very good!
How are you planning on keeping the corners or edges from coming loose? And isn't the paoper going to discolour to yellows over time?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Maps are made from very good paper and inks; they don't curl and seperate easily and they do fade, but very very slowly. It's more that they mellow with time :D
We took down old maps that had been up for fifteen years and they were still sound. Lasts better than wallpaper :)

Shaggystu, that's a good link for here :approve: Thank you.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE