Its here!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wow! Lucky you!. I've seen the noses of lords and ladies, which, round here, are the sign that wild garlic isn't too far away.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice to see Allium ursinum coming up, want to sow some this year
I planted these in 2012. Theres a thread on here

Reactions: MrEd and TeeDee

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Oh yeeeeaaah! Seen a few exposed bulbs but no proper leafage yet.... I'll keep a closer look out. I plan on fermenting some this year

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got a tree covered garden in the house we're moving to. It's got vinca in it iirc but we'll be in an area full of wild garlic so wondering whether to add some to the garden. If there's not some already. So easy to find picking patches that perhaps not worth bothering?

Where would you source wild garlic for home cultivation? Would you give it a year or so to establish before picking any?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a tree covered garden in the house we're moving to. It's got vinca in it iirc but we'll be in an area full of wild garlic so wondering whether to add some to the garden. If there's not some already. So easy to find picking patches that perhaps not worth bothering?

Where would you source wild garlic for home cultivation? Would you give it a year or so to establish before picking any?
This is how we did it

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/domesticating-the-wild-garlic.92982/

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Woodland herb garden, what's a growing there besides ransomes?

Our soon to be garden has a lot of tree cover. I wonder what herbs we should grow there? Any native plants you can use instead of common shop bought herbs? Where can you get native plants for herbs? It could be a business being a nursery for British native herbs. Or are there plant sharing websites or groups?

Then again, unless one plant is a direct replacement for a standard herb it's unlikely to get used by people. Plus most people do not have the plant knowledge to know what herb replacement plants to get. Myself included. Might be an interesting topic for a thread to discuss the matter further. Unless it's been discussed before.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Wild Arum - Arum maculatum. Not to be confused with wild garlic although the young leaves can look very similar. All parts contain calcium oxalate which should not be consumed

I'm NOT advising people to eat or Try eating it - merely mentioning it for the historical content, however:-

Portland sago | Definition of Portland sago by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Portland sago

Lords and Ladies, Devils and Angels, Adam and Eve, Cuckoo-pint, Snakes Head, Arum maculatum. (wildfooduk.com)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As you know, I have eaten it - I just wasn't going to go there in a thread on wild garlic :)
(I think that's touché ;))

Totally. I just found it relatively interesting that not only did the processed starch have a known name but it included a Geographical association also.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE