Its here!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Woodland herb garden, what's a growing there besides ransomes?

Our soon to be garden has a lot of tree cover. I wonder what herbs we should grow there? Any native plants you can use instead of common shop bought herbs? Where can you get native plants for herbs? It could be a business being a nursery for British native herbs. Or are there plant sharing websites or groups?

Then again, unless one plant is a direct replacement for a standard herb it's unlikely to get used by people. Plus most people do not have the plant knowledge to know what herb replacement plants to get. Myself included. Might be an interesting topic for a thread to discuss the matter further. Unless it's been discussed before.
Definitely a new thread! But lots of things. Babbingtons leek always the earliest, both Sorrel & wood sorrel, plus the trinity of trees...Quince, Mulberry and Medlar

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20210215_194426.jpg
Mainly roots showing by the river, but loads of shoots and even a few immature leaves tonight. With the mild weather this week I hope I'll be to pick a few soon

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Same here now, some fully grown leaves, some immature. Had a few lovely meals with it now. My favourite has been a curry loaded with the stuff as you would spinach

Reactions: British Red

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Wild Arum - Arum maculatum. Not to be confused with wild garlic although the young leaves can look very similar. All parts contain calcium oxalate which should not be consumed.
For anyone in the know:
I’m no expert & don’t know the biology of plants & cells,just their common uk names & uses to a degree.
However, I do consume a fair bit of stinging nettle soup when in season(home made).
I’m aware the stings contain oxalic acid & they are made safe by wafting over the fire or boiling.
So the question is..Are oxalic acid & calcium oxalate(in wild Arum)a similar compound/chemical or completely different?
Can one be boiled(soluble) or cooked out..the other not(insoluble).

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For anyone in the know:
I’m no expert & don’t know the biology of plants & cells,just their common uk names & uses to a degree.
However, I do consume a fair bit of stinging nettle soup when in season(home made).
I’m aware the stings contain oxalic acid & they are made safe by wafting over the fire or boiling.
So the question is..Are oxalic acid & calcium oxalate(in wild Arum)a similar compound/chemical or completely different?
Can one be boiled(soluble) or cooked out..the other not(insoluble).

They are not the same. calcium oxalate are literally needle like cells that severely irritate your insides. The roots can be processed to make them edible, and I have done it, but I don't consider it responsible to publish how on here because failure to get it right can be quite dangerous (or at least very unpleasant). Look up Portland Sago for some further info :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE