Domesticating the wild garlic.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I fancied a really large area of wild garlic (ramsoms) in the herb patch.

They aren't common round here...but where I used to live there are huge carpets of them.

Ramsoms by British Red, on Flickr

A nice guy posted me up a box full in March lifted "in the green" (growing). NB you can only dig them up with the landowners permission if you want the roots and bulbs.

Clearly disturbing the roots and 48 hours in a box handled by the post office did them no favours. They were pretty droopy by the time I got them and not happy plants. Frankly I didn't think they would survive if I planted them out. So I potted them in five large pots of compost in an airy barn in part shade and kept them fed and watered until the top growth died back.

Today most of the top growth had gone

Ramsoms grown on by British Red, on Flickr

so I had a root around to see if they had formed decent bulbs...I wasn't hopeful

The results were better than I had expected

Ramsom bulbs in pot by British Red, on Flickr

In fact very pleasing when I started digging them out

Ramsom bulbs by British Red, on Flickr

I had an area in mind in my wouodland herb area for them

Ramsom area in herb bed by British Red, on Flickr

So I scraped back the woodchip and started digging spit depth trenches

Hole for ramsoms by British Red, on Flickr

I put in the compost they came from and freshened it with some pelleted manure

Compost and peletted manure for ramsom by British Red, on Flickr

Divided the clumps of ramsoms up and spread them out

Planted ramsom by British Red, on Flickr

The topsoil went back on top...

Soil covered ramsom by British Red, on Flickr

I gave them a really good drink

Ramsom Watered in by British Red, on Flickr

Then a three inch layer of wood chip on top

New wood chip on ramsom by British Red, on Flickr

I repeated this a load more times and finished the area I have in mind for them

Finished ramsom patch by British Red, on Flickr

I hope this works - but I won't know for certain until next Spring (I'm very confident though).

Red

Reactions: DocG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Sean - I'm hopefully good with these ones. There are some huge patches there huh? Especially in the woods to the side of "Rat Alley" (that little cut through lane on the way to BW).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those should take fine BR :)
I usually just scatter the wee bulbils, and kick some leaf litter over them, to seed an area.
You should have a good crop from those within a couple of years :approve:

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lets hope - I have an area of Babbingtons leeks just established...and pots to work on three cornered leeks for next year :)

I'm going to lift potato onions and walking onions in a few weeks - having already lifted convential garlic, white and red onions....

I like alliums - we have Welsh onion and regular plus garlic chives in swathes now!

I am so grateful to all the kind people who have sent me obscure plants, seeds and cuttings - we are developing an interesting collection from the kindness of others!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathan-and-delvok

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great work Red! Yet another success for you.

Of course, in years to come the main problem will be keeping them in check, as they are horribly invasive given half a chance.

Still, whoever heard of having too much garlic? :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope for them to "mat" - then I'll make jars of pesto and uproot the bulbs with impugnity to keep them in check :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The seeds are tiny wee black things, just pull a few heads, hang them upside down in a paper bag and let them dry out. Rattle vigorously and the seeds fall out and gather at the bottom of the bag.

Sow the year you gather them for best results apparantly.

My ransoms produce little aerial bulbils....supposedly that's crow garlic and is rarer than the ransoms :dunno:
I really should spend some time picking and checking what I've got though. I know I have the three cornered leek and they're easy. Didn't know about crow garlic until I did a google :eek:

cheers,
M

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Nice one Red,

They look like healthy plants,

Ive just shown my two girls how to spot and id them a couple of days ago , ( an easy one to start with) and we are going to pick some ( Have the landowners permission) and use them in a recipe or two.

atb

Craig

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm confused now.
British Red, you grow a lot of the wild onions; which one looks like ransoms but has little white/translucent aerial bulbils ?
What growing isn't red coloured like crow garlic .....do three corner leek and ransoms interbreed ?

cheers,
Mary

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Only just got some three corenered leek ....so time will tell! Bung me up a photo when the time comes.

You aren't thinking welsh onion?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE