Its All In Your Head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
I agree, being a bushcrafter first starts with the way you think, after that everything just happens.

Hence the term like minded people
Garry

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
If we prepare our mind, as well as our body for what we must encounter in our daily lives, we are better prepared to overcome the obstacles that we will inevitably be faced with. It doesn't matter if it is a new job, or having to live in a primitive manner. Those that are prepared, will be the leaders, the ones that are looked to for answers and those that rely on the preparedness of others, are the followers, those that are waiting for your help and your guidance.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
When I was a child, a mentor of mine once told me "Ain't nothin' you'll ever need that can't be found or made, boy!" Ever since then I've found that the best way to get just the thing I want is most often to make it myself, even if I have ended up having to buy the materials to do it with. Witha little lateral thinking and a practical approach to a problem, it's amazing at the solutions you can usually find to problems, and it's this sort of thinking that I believe stands a bushcrafter in good stead.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I term I've heard used a lot is "realistic optimisim". Unrealistic optimism is as bad as (if not worse than) pessimism, as it leads to overconfidence, risk taking, and ultimately discouragement - if you expect to build a 3-storey mansion and be waited on by monkey butlers, you're heading for dissappointment.

I have to admit to being a natural pessimist - the glass is not only half-empty, but dirty to boot... ;) But I'm working on it. :)

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I think it's always a safe idea to reign in the extremes of approach in any situation, survival or otherwise. Both over- and under-optimism are wrong and should be consciously dismissed by the individual.

Mental preparation is the real key to success: think about the situation first, dismiss the extreme viewpoint, think about a solution, prepare for that solution, have another think about the implications of your course of action, redo any preparation if necessary then finally commit wholeheartedly into accomplishing the objective.

That might seem like a lot of 'thinking' steps and for most actions they are automatic, but it's in the unusual situations where giving your brain and body the chance to adjust pays dividends.

Everyone's an individual in the end so no one approach can be right for all.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Den,
Its good to consider the importance of understanding how people may react during a survival situation. Generally the stages of reaction are split into:
Pre-Impact Period, Impact Period, Recoil Period, and Post Traumatic Period.
Statistically during the impact period 12-20% of people remain calm, up to 75% are stunned and bewildered, and 10-20% behave inappropriately to the situation.
The mind can be the weakest link, it is also your best assett. Knowledge, training, equipment etc all help. Hope this helps.

lignum vitae

May 5, 2005
kernow
bigthump smarty :You_Rock_ wise words
Like the sound of your basher Gregorach- great minds think alike. What material would be best to make fezs and waistcoats for my monkey waiters?
As far as the will to survive goes a positive mental hook such as a strong desire to reach loved ones can often outweigh training and equipment. ie when people with such kit lack the will to keep going and give in.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Interestingly, my son shows a good mindset. Thats not say he has no fear, but what fear he may have is tempered by common sense (rare in an 8yr old). And though he may doubt his ability in other situations, bushcraft is not one of them.

As a for instance, we are off out tomorrow, overnight, and although the weather is far from convivial :umbrella: he understands that it is just part of the make-up of what you contend with in order to gain the most from the situation.

As a parent, I have more concerns for his wellbeing. As a "bushy" I know we will be comfortable, because I am mentally and logistically prepared. :bluThinki

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Hey,

I suppose from my limited experiance, i find some people have it naturaly (the mindset) but more then that most people even when it comes camping they need home comforts and one i know comfort eats somtimes!!!! i think the most important thing in life is know yourself, once you know yourself then look out to others and helping them.

Cheers
Scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE