It's A Fair Toidy Step...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Out of interest, how far do you normally travel to do a bit of camping/bushcraft? I emphasise the word 'normally' - since those special trips somewhere don't really count. Imagine you were going just for a night or two. Do you stay in your county, in the district/borough, or go up to Scotland (or somewhere)? You get the idea. How far do you have to travel to participate in your favourite pasttime?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Well any kind of distance up to about 100 miles by car or public transport, then maybe up to another 50 miles on the bike, then maybe another 15 miles by foot.

So 65 miles max by my own effect, without an engine.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
about five mins... I now live on the edge of a lovely bit of beech coppice/oak woodland that stretches for a few miles. only access is by footpath and its not even close to a road so it rarely sees any visitors.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Bardster - where is that? I live in Maidstone as well and looking for new places to go - getting a bit fed up with the all-North Downs diet.
I tell you a nice little place to go. But you have to be careful here, and be selective about when you go - Thurnham castle. Problem is, in mid-summer people often go up there to take dogs for a walk, have a few beers, smoke a joint etc. Especially at weekends. But if you can go mid-week, and leave it late, then it's a great place, amid a ruined castle with a bloody amazing view. Sitting atop that mound, first thing in the morning, a mug of tea in hand...mmm, who could object to that?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sadly it seems we are not generally welcome in our own country. Apart from a few places I know that I can wild camp in England mostly if I'm touring here I have to sleep in my van. :(

Scotland is different and so is Scandinavia of course so that's where I go mostly, apart from the odd meet up where we have permission from the land owners.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Bardster - where is that? I live in Maidstone as well and looking for new places to go - getting a bit fed up with the all-North Downs diet.
I tell you a nice little place to go. But you have to be careful here, and be selective about when you go - Thurnham castle. Problem is, in mid-summer people often go up there to take dogs for a walk, have a few beers, smoke a joint etc. Especially at weekends. But if you can go mid-week, and leave it late, then it's a great place, amid a ruined castle with a bloody amazing view. Sitting atop that mound, first thing in the morning, a mug of tea in hand...mmm, who could object to that?

Ah as it happens I havnt updated my profile. I am no longer in Maidstone but now just outside Ashford. Quite a few wooded areas round here. Anyone wants to come down for a look just PM me ;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Up here we are a bit lucky, so normally can be anything from 20-30 minutes by car to a couple of hours. I probably average about 25 miles from home, that gives me a nice range of options.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
However far I can get a lift :D

Bardster .. you should've kept that to yourself ;)

About 20 miles if I don't have to run around picking people up :rolleyes:

About 40 miles if I do. just to make you feel guilty mate

Originally Posted by Bardster
Ah as it happens I havnt updated my profile. I am no longer in Maidstone but now just outside Ashford. Quite a few wooded areas round here. Anyone wants to come down for a look just PM me

Pm inbound :D

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
About 20 miles if I don't have to run around picking people up :rolleyes:

About 40 miles if I do. just to make you feel guilty mate

Update .. apparently I have to travel 40 miles to get to the woods ;)

The guilt trip is working .. but I must say :You_Rock_ for the lifts.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It takes me about 20 minutes by car, then a 25 minute walk to get to my permission area. It is a young wood, with about 55,000 trees, between 10 & 15 years old depending upon which phase they were planted in.

Lovely quiet spot, :D which does have a footpath around the edge, but does not seem busy at any tme of year! Might have something to do with the gradient to get to it! :rolleyes:

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE