It kinda hits you hard and fast, dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 28, 2017
Kent
Hi everyone! I'm Jade (code name 'Fluffy' - not the most bushcrafting name in the mix, but one that has been with me too many years to divorce)

I have to say, I had no interest in the cold, wet, insect-infested bleakness of camping and bushcraft until I woke up one morning and suddenly did. I suspect possession. Either way, I'm now one of you. Or working my way towards it at least.

I did my first solo woodland camp a few weeks ago and had all the usual newbie issues - Starting fire wasn't as easy as I thought it would be...Tarp knots were easier to do than UNdo, etc etc, but it hasn't dampened the enthusiasm.

I'm here to see what I can pick up before the next one, because apparently the self-teaching isn't going all that well.

Pleased to meet y'all, and thank you for having me :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good to have you and I'm sure that there's plenty of people here that will help you in your adventures and we look forward to hearing about them goodjob

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol it's a strange urge that drags us lumps out of our chairs seeking strange muddy adventures. But it's cool that you've seen the light!

Welcome aboard chapette!

Even seasoned professionals like me, hardened by the fiercest of badger battle sightings, battered by the harshest of mild rain and being stuck in the garden when i forgot my keys, still hides in terror in a tent on my own lol...

We all have our goals to enjoy the outdoors without the inate discomfort and fear that the concrete jungles have left us with.

As for knowledge, you'll be hard pressed to find easier access to peoples experiences and adventures with all the tips and tricks that BCUK has to offer. Althought I stick to the creating side, I have but one bit of advice.

Never! and I mean never!! sleep in a hammock in a horny badger ghetto end of the woods while two badgers are violently mating under it.Worst mistake of my life. Lucky to be alive.

Sep 28, 2017
Kent
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

Salmon, you and I are going to become friends, whether you want to or not. But please leave those poor badgers alone. It's hard enough to 'get some' out in the woods in winter, without some nerd setting up camp on top of us :p

It has been an expensive initial learning curb. I got drawn into the rookie error of buying the warmest, shiniest and best reviewed of everything within budget (and slightly without of it) before realising that (a) It doesn't suit the wild camping adventures I'm mostly drawn to, and (b) I'm really more glamping than camping at the mo.

I THINK in the back of my brain I'm sort of readying myself for the apocalypse, and my Jetboil isn't going to be good for sh*t when the canisters run out.

Sep 28, 2017
Kent
Hi everyone. Many thanks for the warm welcome :) Sorry for delayed response. I did write one and assumed the mods were just taking their time to 'okay' it, but apparently it just didn't go through.

Samon, you and are are going to be friends whether you like it or not. But do please leave those poor Badgers alone. It's hard enough 'getting some' in the woods in winter, without some nerd pitching up atop of them :p

My initial learning curb was an unnecessarily expensive one. Did the rookie mistake of researching camping before actually GOING camping, and bought all the stuff the reviews told me to buy... A nice big Osprey rucksack, a jet boil, a poofy Ol 4 season sleeping back and the largest thermarest.... Of course, when I went I realised immediately that I'm not a base camp girl, I want to be wild camping from site to site *facepalm* which means entirely different equipment.

Not going shopping again though. I also kiiiinda have 'preparing for the apocalypse' in mind, and a Jetboil isn't going to do me any good once Amazon isn't available to send me the gas canisters, so the plan is to base camp with all my warm fluffy stuff for a while and learn how to tie knots, start fires (controlled ones!!) forage and cook using the basics. Hopefully by the time I know enough to safely take my show out into the wilderness I will also have saved enough to be able to buy the basics I need (again!) in ultra light format! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE