Isle of Wight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Good day mates. Have any of you bushcrafters visited the Isle of Wight? I've been doing alot of internet research, but it's always better to talk to folks who've actually been there.
I understand that nearly half the island is designated AONB. Are there any/many opportunities for bushcrafting there?
Any and all advice appreciated.
Cheers
Alex

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hang on a minute! You live in Canada....and you want to visit the IoW?

There is a massive amount of irony in that!

I've only visited a couple of times, but I'm sure we have a few members that live out there that can answer your question.

But I think you will encounter the same issue with practicing bushcraft on mainland England in that you will need to seek a lot of permissions to do anything.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Good day mates. Have any of you bushcrafters visited the Isle of Wight? I've been doing alot of internet research, but it's always better to talk to folks who've actually been there.
I understand that nearly half the island is designated AONB. Are there any/many opportunities for bushcrafting there?
Any and all advice appreciated.
Cheers
Alex

I lived there for a couple of years, and have to say its one of my favourite places, camping is cheap and the sites are plentiful (when you think just how small the island is, but there is only one site that allows fires, and that is near Ryde.
lots of beach walks and small woodland areas to explore, but bushcrafting, not so that you would notice, most of the time I've camped there, people look at you strangely if your bread knife is longer than butter knife. I like to walk the coastal path, from Bembridge to Freshwater Bay,

Caveat
I’ve not camped there in the last few years and things might have changed

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Andyn, I get your drift. Canada is huge, no doubt about it, and it would take many lifetimes to even begin to explore it all. But my family(grandparents) hails from the South of England, and I fell the tugs of kinship and homeland of late.
Alex
P.S. Even though you all live there, Britain is quite beautiful to an outsider, even if it isn't all covered in wilderness.
Cheers

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Andyn, I get your drift. Canada is huge, no doubt about it, and it would take many lifetimes to even begin to explore it all. But my family(grandparents) hails from the South of England, and I fell the tugs of kinship and homeland of late.
Alex
P.S. Even though you all live there, Britain is quite beautiful to an outsider, even if it isn't all covered in wilderness.
Cheers

My wife's family moved from England to a place called Branford in Canada. When they came back to visit, they act pretty much as i would were I to go to Canada, they eulogise on just how great England is.

thedude

Mar 2, 2005
Exeter / IOW UK
Although I now live on the mainland, I lived on the Isle of Wight all my life til I went to Uni 6 years ago and have been back there every summer. There are many places to camp and if you choose the correct site you can have a fire too. Compton bay farm didnt mind when we were there last year. It also seems to be acceptable to camp on some more remote beaches although I cannot admit to having done it.

If you want to go a bit more 'bush' then it is probably good to point out that generally the good woodland is owned by the forestry commision or national trust. You can read elsewhere how much of a no-no camping there is, but it is quite normal for people I have met to have slept in there when under the influence or lost and cannot get home. It is always funny that they seem to be carrying a sleeping bag and bivi.

Like most of the UK, there are plenty of Bushcrafting opportunities if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with the correct kit. I am sure you get the idea.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
IoW v Canada?, no contest.

I dont know much about bushcraft but its a great place, hardly changed since Victorias visits and full of flowers (its not called the garden isle for nothing) and has a dry warm climate.

You must try one of the victorian seaside resorts for a taste of England

(theres lots of quiet places on the coast too)

Dont go to Cowes its full of the wrong sort of yachtsmen.
nor Alum bay as its too busy.

there are genuine red squirrels there

Explore the chines (deep seaside valleys) which are typical IoW coastal features

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
PHG,

If you do ever make it over, do let me know first. I won't pretend to know the IoW as well as BL, but I hale from the four fingered side of the water ;). If you are in the area I can promise walks along "trackways" (bronze age paths), over barrows that were old before Julius Caesar and Claudius set foot here and, perhaps most importantly, a proper cup of tea :)

Red

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Thank you British Red, I'll likely take you up on your generous offer. :) Interesting, bronze age paths and barrows, you've got my curiosity piqued!
Cheers
Alex
P.S. We do get 'PG Tips' over here, dont know if that qualifies as a proper cup of tea. ;)

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
Hey, I live on the IOW. Good place for wandering and sampling the finer things in nature, but it can be difficult to get access to land for bushcraft.
I have about 3000 acres which is easy to access and more than suitable. I have 2 spots that I have taken people to for days out and camping around a fire etc and the views are stunning. Most people can't believe it. I wander around the rest of all year and go shooting, camping, or just sitting around relaxing with a fire, a good cuban cigar and a nice glass or two of either Laphroaig or 18yr old Highland Park.
If you are coming over, PM me sometime and I'll hook you up. I've always wanted to go to Canada, so you can return the favour sometime.
You can find your own spot, make your fire, put up your shelter and kill / pick your own food. Perfect. Most people are very jealous of what I have over here, but I will be happy to share it with you.
I'll normally go up on a Friday after work, relax around the fire, then do some shooting Saturday and wander around looking for other ingredients (wild garlic etc). Then, prepare everything and relax and cook it over a fire, with a cigar and something nice to drink. Works pretty well to relax me at the weekend.

Regards

Island Forager

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
94,000 acres, give or take

Actually it is nearer 100,000 acres including forshore!
I have been wild camping and the like, on the south side of the Island for over 20 years. There are many places to stay for extended periods even with a fire and semi permanent shelter. Myself and friends have had various incarnations of a drift wood shack hidden in wood land on the far south of the Island. The latest one is raised up on stilts and has been there for over 7 years. Burnt Wood on the north side of the island offers good oppotunities for one or two night stays if you tuck your self away and are not too silly with knifes, fires and the like.
The Islands foreshore, downland and woodland offers unrivelled but compact oppotunities for all sorts off activities.

Nigel

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
ive never been there but it sounds good,whats it like for canoeing there

I canoe regulary on the Island; mostly on estuaries and harbours but most of the north side is good also for open boats with mainly SW winds it more sheltered.
The southern side is more open water and more suitable for sea kayaks and the like. There are couple of paddles I do regulary that have an overnight bivvi or hammock.

Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE