Is this wood poisonous? (Conifer?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Watch out; arboreal ignoramus about...

So, today I went and visited my parents. In their garden, where I spent much of my happy childhood, they have an elder tree. They also have conifer hedges. Or, that's what they've always referred to them as, but a quick Google search revealed to me that this is a fairly wide category of tree!

Anyway, I decided to have a go at making a whistle, using the excellent tutorial on Jon's Bushcraft (http://www.bushcraft.ridgeonnet.com/elderwhistle.htm). I used a branch from one of the 'conifer' trees to make the dowel. The whistle makes a note, which is pleasing.

HOWEVER, I realise that I hadn't taken into account whether it's safe or not. I feel a bit odd but then again, I didn't eat any lunch, cycled 18 miles and have a cold, so I suspect I'm being paranoid, but I thought I'd check; there's bound to be someone around here that knows. :)

For reference, I had a look in my photo collection, and I found a couple of pictures with it in. Here's a crop of one of them.

Conifer.jpg

I suspect it's quite common, as I remember having seen a plant in a garden centre that looked just like it...

Thanks folks. :)

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Are you worried about the dust? Sap? Or how often you should blow the whistle a day?

Sap, I guess? Or any toxins that might be present in the wood itself? As you can tell, I'm completely ignorant. If the sap is poisonous, does that remain a problem after it dries, and if the dust is poisonous, is that a problem similarly?

But yes, now that I think of it, the smell thing sounds familiar. I used to climb them as a kid...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont bother me and i have cut, whittled, limbed and fell them. But then again lately its been cherry thats giving me grief.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
leylandii, one of my favourite woods. i know it gets a bad press for all sorts of reasons but if it's properly seasoned it's a great wood for all sorts of purposes. it does need to be seasoned for a while though (a year or so should do it) otherwise you end up covered in horrible sticky sap. as for the rash, i'm with mr fenna, it makes a proper itchy mess of my skin too, but i'm fairly certain that it's just the foliage that does that. is wood dust poisonous? yes, all of it, regardless of species inhaling lots of wood dust will made you horribly ill, just work outside or wear a mask, either that or just don't sand it.

HTH

stuart

bob_pickard

Feb 1, 2012
epsom
I get the skin rash too but again that seems to be from the greenery when I cut it - doesn't seem to do anything when it's old and dry

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks Stuart and others - Very useful info.

I'll have to bear this in mind for when my parents next have to prune them. Pity I didn't think of it last time, as they had them cut down quite a bit...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE