Aren't people just awesome?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are lucky to know a number of local tree surgeons who are very good to us. We have developed a relationship with one in particular who is happy to drop us both freshly felled logs and hard wood chip. By the lorry load

Conifer logs by English Countrylife, on Flickr

His latest refinement is to carefully mark the position of any nails or screws that he is aware of in the trees so that I don't damage a saw or axe

Metal in logs by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Given he doesn't want paying for the logs, it's amazing that he is kind enough to do that!

It's hard to show scale but that's well over 2 cubic metres of split wood and there's at least that much left in this one load.

Stacked logs by English Countrylife, on Flickr

People really are lovely :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice gesture, and thoughtful. My only gripe is the plastic coated tie-wrap, wouldn’t a blob of tree marker be a better bet? We used to use it to mark where people hadn’t picked up after their dogs when we worked on public footpaths doing tree work. Cheap and easy. Get him a paintball gun as thanks, they were invented for tree marking, and tons of fun.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice gesture, and thoughtful. My only gripe is the plastic coated tie-wrap, wouldn’t a blob of tree marker be a better bet? We used to use it to mark where people hadn’t picked up after their dogs when we worked on public footpaths doing tree work. Cheap and easy. Get him a paintball gun as thanks, they were invented for tree marking, and tons of fun.
It's a fair point - but he gets the tie wrap back after I cut & split so it's re-used many times.

Love the idea of a paintball gun though - I reckon he would enjoy that :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ooooowww..... I do like to see a nice big pile of logs even better when split, one of the best things I bought was a 5t log splitter so much fun.....
By Summer there should be 48 cubic metres - so a decent sized pile ;)

Fiona got me an electric hydraulic splitter - 10t quoted but probably no stronger than yours in truth. It's great, but I still break down the big rounds with a maul and steel wedges before resorting to the splitter. I find huge rounds heavy and unstable, but half rounds are easier to lift and balance better.

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
On the flip side, this is the work not of a tree surgeon (probably) of 5 trees cut down about half hour ago near where I used to live.

Someone popped out and dropped these trees in minutes and then left them. Probably blocking the light to their garden or something!
06402-A09-6571-43-FC-B8-E4-69678-C76990-D.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On the flip side, this is the work not of a tree surgeon (probably) of 5 trees cut down about half hour ago near where I used to live.

Someone popped out and dropped these trees in minutes and then left them. Probably blocking the light to their garden or something!
What a truly bizarre act. Surely the surrounding houses must have seen it happen?

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Probably blocking the light to their garden or something!

Looks like the work of some inadequate individual who knows his action will upset the local residents. He will get huge satisfaction reading the enraged comments in the local newspaper and probably faint with delight if it makes local TV.
He needs culling...

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Oh I agree there's the odd pain who think they are better than the rest of the world, but I just choose not not give them a thought now - I'm going to focus on all the genuinely kind people in the world ;)
I so agree with what you said here, sometimes it's hard to ignore the idiots, but there are so many amazing people whom put there heads above the parapet and just make the world a much nicer place.

I have met a few on BCUK, most I have not had the chance to see face to face yet, but look forward to it......

......i might need to get my liver into training for rum, and a taste for dried meat :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I so agree with what you said here, sometimes it's hard to ignore the idiots, but there are so many amazing people whom put there heads above the parapet and just make the world a much nicer place.

I have met a few on BCUK, most I have not had the chance to see face to face yet, but look forward to it......

......i might need to get my liver into training for rum, and a taste for dried meat :)
I'm not that bothered about rum ( now whisky is different) but definitely dried meat and bannock!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I bucked it all up yesterday & today. Took two days to cut, split and stack ( not all day). The largest log was 3' across the smallest maybe 6".

Today's job was sectioning up the longer stuff

Saw bench by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Logs sawn into rounds by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Then I split the big rounds with maul plus "sledge & wedge". The smaller rounds and sections of large rounds get processed to firebox size by axe or hydraulic splitter

Log splitting equipment by English Countrylife, on Flickr

This is today's output before stacking. Over the two days it worked out to about five cubic metres ( somewhat over a cord)

Split firewood by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I've a big load of cordwood to process at the back of the yard, but that's easy saw work. I suspect our tree surgeon buddy will have more to drop off soon given the storms!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

That is totally unbelievable :(

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england

likely someone with a new toy possibly electric or battery chainsaw otherwise too much noise for disturbance of the neighbours

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE