Is this the ventile bargain of the year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Think so mate,if not then the other folk selling them as Ventile on the bay are all fibbing about theirs being ventile!!
C da C.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the Ventile argument is a bit like the goretex one, unless it says it on the label then it's not strictly speaking Ventile. I don't know what this jacket says but there are plenty of surplus windproof cotton smocks about, not sure whether they have the same capilary (sp) characteristics as Ventile though. I used to live in a Falklands windproof DPm smock but it certainly didn't keep the rain out.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thig about it Rich is that they never do say in the issue ones!
Gortex is called MVP.
And some Ventile stuff is just down as cotten on the lables!
I think it is a trade name thing!
Chris.
P.s You may,of course be right tho!...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Shewie the Falkland DPM smocks were cotton gabadine not ventile a few were made in ventile but very hard to find .
The RN smocks were proper old school ventile with a cotton lining must of cost a fortune to make in the day.
Ventile is cold dry only having had a bit over the years its well comfy but in the rain give me goretex every time ...
And were off ...lol
Twodogs

leon-1

Strange that the label on the inside of them says wash as a synthetic.

This is a picture of the 180/104 which is also on evil-bay.

The ventile label normally is requested by the manufacturer of the garment and only comes with the normal ventile cloth. You cannot buy seconds grade cut out the imperfection and use a ventile label on it. It's part of Talbot weavings quality assurance. If it has the ventile label then it / the cloth has passed their quality control.

MVP cannot be called Gore-Tex as it is not made by Gore industries, Gore-Tex is a trade marked name.

leon-1

So none of the 'gortex' issue kit is Gortex?
Or might it be that they have an arrangement with the MOD?
Chris.

I am not sure who has the contracty for them at the moment but the contract for British Military Waterproof clothing was held by Thistle Garments. The only way to find what material they use is to ask them, but if it was made by Gore-Industries and gore were happy to put their name to it then it would probably be on there somewhere.

Sorry for taking this off topic Greeneggcat:eek:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE