Is this edible?

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
as a rough rule of thumb if the gills are dark brown or black and it peels it is ediable so white gills don't seem good.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The rule of thumb is ID a mushroom properly down to specific species. There is no rules of thumb. There are family groups which are have no deadly members.

OP: The underside needs to be seen to insure a correct ID. The photo appears to be a bolete [pores on the bottom] , but it is too unclear to ID safely.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd say the only rule of thumb concerning eating fungi is;

Never eat anything you have not positively identified as being edible.

The possible consequences of generalising are too dangerous to comprehend.

Ogri the trog

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd make sure I had an expert with me before trusting my own I'd.

Came across some large bolete under Larch the other day but the cap colours were dark brownish opposed to the books pics and description.

Some nearby were exactly as per the books.

Everything else was the same, underside,flesh etc.

Wasn't the same shape as yours although as Fiona says it'll be of the Bolete family.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would leave it for now matey, get a few books, get yourself on a walk with a fungi chap, Look at your local woodland parks website, or Scottish Forestry Commission to see if they are running any guided walks) or get yourself on a course through your local college(night classes?) or bushcraft type school, it is to dodgy to try and id a fungi from a single pic, with out all the needed info, I've been going through learning to id fungi for the last two years through guided walks, books and chefy friends and still the only ones I eat have bar codes on the box.

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
It's the old adage, when in doubt throw it out. Not worth messing about with unless you can get a positive ID. Lots of mushrooms have symbiotic relations with tree species. That is just one hint but spore print is another. There are some really good books and as someone else stated go on a course if you can find one. I have tried many of the 'edibles' and now have some firm favourites but some you cannot have alcohol with the meal so that is worth knowing too. I try and find ones I know then when I find a new one I pick one up for spore print etc to help with id but keep it seperate from the ones I know so as not to contaminate the edibles. It's fun to go looking though. Enjoy.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
In reference to an earlier post there are no safe rules of thumb : Cortinarius Speciossisimus has dark brown gills and will kill you (or at least destroy your kidneys). So will a Brown Roll Rim if you are unlucky. I would steer clear of anything with gills personally except a Chanterelle.

Your mushroom looks like a Bolete with pores rather than gills, but there are some poisonous Boletes!

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
is it edible? by definition nearly everything is edible, whether it'll kill you or make you ill is the real key..
regarding mushrooms/fungi i wouldn't consider putting it in my mouth unless i'd identified it from at least 3 different sources and i was happy with the ident.
if i was even a little unsure i'd chuck it.
the thing with mushrooms is that 90-95% are perfectly safe, the other 5-10% will either have you clawing the spiders out of your eyes or stone dead within a week.
isn't nature wonderful? :D

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Just don't. I read recently that the guy who wrote the Horse Whisperer was in Scotland foraging with an expert and now he has the spend the rest of his life on dialysis.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
as a rough rule of thumb if the gills are dark brown or black and it peels it is ediable so white gills don't seem good.

OK...time for the warning again.

If you ever hear any rule of thumb about which fungi you can eat and which you cannot then ignore it, because it is dangerous nonsense. That it includes your example. It's not just that it doesn't work 100%. It doesn't work at all. This particular rule appears to be aimed at identifying members of the Agaricus group (which contains shop and field mushrooms). Unfortunately, not all agaricuses are edible.

The rule is this: either you know exactly what it is, or you don't even consider eating it.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
The rule of thumb is ID a mushroom properly down to specific species. There is no rules of thumb. There are family groups which are have no deadly members.

OP: The underside needs to be seen to insure a correct ID. The photo appears to be a bolete [pores on the bottom] , but it is too unclear to ID safely.

Yes, looks like one of the brown Leccinums.

l3wis2000

Jun 2, 2011
Inverclyde
Wow! Thanks for the fantastic replies. Really incisive and educational information on here. (Had me reaching for the Latin phrasebook.)

Safe to say, from here on in, I won't be giving any fungi a sideways glance in fear of dropping dead.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Wow! Thanks for the fantastic replies. Really incisive and educational information on here. (Had me reaching for the Latin phrasebook.)

Safe to say, from here on in, I won't be giving any fungi a sideways glance in fear of dropping dead.

I really would, seriously fungi are so kewl! (i've turned into egon spengler....) the variety never mind the colours and the adventure of positively identifying them is half the fun :D

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I really would, seriously fungi are so kewl! (i've turned into egon spengler....) the variety never mind the colours and the adventure of positively identifying them is half the fun :D

They are amazing organisms. Their behaviour is also gloriously unpredictable. Certain species disappear for years on end then, for reasons nobody understands, they suddenly appear in large numbers all over the place. I've been watching one particular species for longer than any others: hallucinogenic liberty caps. This species fairly reliably appears about the middle of October, just after the first bout of chilly weather (in southern England - earlier further north). Last year I was surprised to find some at the end of August. After that, despite the fact that I spent most of the autumn out looking for fungi, I saw none at all. From a purely scientific/academic point of view, I find this fascinating. I guess it has something to do with the unusual weather we've have over the past couple of years, but nobody knows for sure.

Call me a mushroom-spotter if you like... :)

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
They are amazing organisms. Their behaviour is also gloriously unpredictable. Certain species disappear for years on end then, for reasons nobody understands, they suddenly appear in large numbers all over the place. I've been watching one particular species for longer than any others: hallucinogenic liberty caps. This species fairly reliably appears about the middle of October, just after the first bout of chilly weather (in southern England - earlier further north). Last year I was surprised to find some at the end of August. After that, despite the fact that I spent most of the autumn out looking for fungi, I saw none at all. From a purely scientific/academic point of view, I find this fascinating. I guess it has something to do with the unusual weather we've have over the past couple of years, but nobody knows for sure.

Call me a mushroom-spotter if you like... :)

I think the liberty cap would be a major find for me i've yet to see one wild, much like last year i came across some panther caps, i'd never seen any before. they were old specimens and one had flattened out and actually looked like a speckled brown coffee table about 3" tall. i marvelled at how perfectly flat and perfectly round it was :D
so far i've caught some Enormous oyster mushrooms and some wonderful wood blewit, i love the suprise of wood blewit, creamy on top and a brilliant violet underneath :D the kids loved em too, thought the colour was brilliant.
pete

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I think the liberty cap would be a major find for me i've yet to see one wild, much like last year i came across some panther caps, i'd never seen any before. they were old specimens and one had flattened out and actually looked like a speckled brown coffee table about 3" tall. i marvelled at how perfectly flat and perfectly round it was :D

Sure it wasn't a blusher? Blushers are common as muck, panther caps are rare, and they look very similar if you don't know what the differences are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE