Iron for a gresset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I mentioned last week that the middle son had dug up a 13 pound ( after the rust was removed) sledge hammer head. Would the iron it's made from be suitable to make a gresset from?

image_zps66225ab2.jpg

A gresset is basically a boat shaped pan, usually on short legs with a long handle used to melt tallow when making rush dips.

I've made a slight study of them, just photos and dimensions of ones I've come across in museums ( I talked myself into the reserve collection at St. Fagans once) and I'd really like a copy of one to use, ideally by August this year.

i've also got some big Victorian sash window weights they found behind panelling when we had the place done up, is the iron they are made for any use?

I lack the skills and equipment to forge more than a simply small object like a penular broach but if I can get some authentic early 19th century materials together it would be a start of sorts.

ATB

Tom

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
That looks suspiciously like a blacksmith's set hammer. The railroads used them extensively and had the larger sizes. The one I have probably weighs ten pounds.

Would it be suitable to forge into a pan? No. No only is it going to be a higher-carbon steel than mild steel, it would take a ton of fuel and time to beat it into a shape like you're talking about. This is a struck tool, often called a set or flatter because of the square face.

You'd be far better off using a car bumper for your project, or buying thick flat stock to start with. Attaching the legs and handle wouldn't be an issue.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I suspect those weights would be cast iron and not of much use. The hammer however will be good steel. I'd say though it is unlikely to be pure iron.

Would it not be better to get some plate steel and form the bowl from there? You could form ~2mm steel plate yourself with relative ease.
i ask as there is a heck of a lot of forging to get that hammer flat. ;)

all the best
Andy

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
The window weights could be wrought iron, and not cast iron. I would do a spark test to double check. If they are wrought iron, they're worth good money to practicing smiths and knifemakers today.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that about window weights. There are two of them going rusty in my greenhouse just now....I use one to prop the door open :eek:

Any smiths nearby, and I'll happily pass them over.

atb,
Toddy

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
It depends on how old they are, Toddy. Wrought was every bit as common and cheap as cast iron prior to, guessing, 1930. You could do the spark test or the cut test to determine the composition in just minutes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Uncle, from whose wee-shed-at-the-bottom-of-the-garden-that-holds-all-the-clutter they came, said they were from a window in a house that was being split and turned into two in the 1930's. One of the huge great sandstone villas, and the window was being taken out to make room for the new doorway for the upstairs flat. Tbh they don't look wrought, they look sand cast now I think on it. :dunno:
Are they of any use if they are ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They do that :D
I put them in a bucket and it's heavy enough to stop the wind blowing the greenhouse door about :D

I've an entire set of the blocky weights meant for a tattie scale too...from 1lb to 14lbs.
Don't know if those would be of any use either.

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I tried the sledge head on the grinding wheel but to me the results weren't conclusive, not bright white sparks nor dull red just a sort of dullish orangey colour with a hint of yellow. Since folk have been dumping stuff here since at least the 18 th century I've no idea how old the head is. The square striking face is quite dimpled but wether that was from ware or design I can't tell. since I have a couple of good sledges already there's nay point me rehandling it. If I knew it was good steel I would flatten the ends to use as a small anvil.

atb

tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
While we were clearing another bit of the garden I found this a few feet from where the middle son found that old sledgehammer head.

imagejpg1_zps25d19fdc.jpg

Its missing the thick wire handle you see on modern ones of course. Something about it makes me think it was hand made. It's been soaking in citric acid for a day and tomorrow I will wire brush it. Ill compare it to the dimple in the sledge hammers face as well. This is the spot I'm thinking of making a forge in. Ill get the metal detector out and go over the area the next dry day we get..

atb

Tom

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Well... the first one may be a set hammer the second is definitely either a cold set chisel or a fuller, hard to tell which from the pic' due to bad corrosion. Neither any use for converting to a 'grisset'. But, with a bit of work you could probably use the first to help make one.

I've made a couple of grissets using steel sheet (couldn't get the necessary sized wrought iron sheet); long ago they were also cast in iron or made from pottery and a few are know to have been made of stone. Don't know how much smithing you've done or what facilities you have access to, but a you might find it simplest to saw a large steel pipe longwise and go from there on a swage block using progressively smaller sections.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE