Need a new source of tinder flints...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This could fit into several forums but it fits in with the stuff I'm making more than else where I reckon.

I'm in the process of replicating various forms of tinder box for my own entertainment and to finish them I like to fit them out as they would have been back in the day. To this end I had copies of tinder flints I'd seen in museums made and tried to preserve them by using bits knocked off a lump of Flint like most do for actually making fires. Unfortunately the knapped ones work so much better than random chunks so given the chance the sons etc do use the fancy ones so I'm down to just a few. I was going to get a dozen more from my usual source but he has since got a shiny website and his price has tripled. Fair enough but too rich for my blood.

I've tried knapping myself but don't have a aptitude so I'd have to put more time into it to become at all competent ( if I could get that way ) than I'm prepared to. I do have some skills so thought I could trade something I've made or aquired rather than resort to spending money I don't have. From my threads you can see what I do, beeswax and tallow candles, restored tools, blanks for spoons, sulphur matches etc etc amen.

What I'm after are basically the cores that you get from making gun flints. Roughly, very roughly, they should be like this one I saw in a museum near Oxford.
image.jpg1_zpsrm4unyve.jpg

If any of you knappers can assist I'd be profoundly grateful!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, that was my old source, when I dealt with him direct it was a quid a pop for them, on the website I was directed to it's now £2.99. Way it go's and if people will pay that that's what he should ask for them.

ATB

Tom

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I got plenty of flint , but my skills are not up to the job.
I can post you some flint if you like , you just have to find a good knapper...
I think this is a skill ill be working on more in the near future as clearly there is lack of knappers around.
Let me know if you want flint , shards or nodules , big or small lumps...
Loads around here...

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup market forces. Real nice guy, I've had two lots of tinder flints off him over the years.

Cheers for the offer but I've middling lumps of Flint we brought back as ballest in the boot and in the foot wells when we went down to the south coast last year. It's just the skills I'm missing!

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hunting with flintlock rifles is popular all over North America.
In fact, we have a 7 day flintlock & bow season before the general
rifle/big game seasons open Sept.07.

So, I decided to see if I could Google a Canadian/American flint source for you.
Lo and behold!!!!!! They sell English and French flints.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cheers for the offer but I've middling lumps of Flint we brought back as ballest in the boot and in the foot wells when we went down to the south coast last year. It's just the skills I'm missing!

ATB

Tom

No worries Tom, hope you succeed in your search.
Best regards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE