Inukshuk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Inukshuk - Has anyone else made these whilst out and about ?
I sometimes build one when a footpath has been a little misleading compared to the map, to point someone in the right direction. They're fun to build and could help someone who's lost to find the way or indicate a good campsite etc. Maybe the UK Bushcraft Community should start building small ones to show a fellow bushcrafter has been that way or a good place to bivvy up for the night. What do ya reckon ? I'm only talking about small ones a foot high or so.

http://www.sulis.net/inukshuk.htm

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I think these look great and the sentiments that go along with them seem very similar to the attitude of the people on this forum.

There is currently a post on here about cultural influences and a couple of the posts refer to the old hobo signs that were used to identify good places to eat, work and sleep. As the inukshuk are generally made from the local materials available they would blend in with their surroundings and may be difficult to see if they were made smaller, unless you knew where to look. As you are no doubt aware there are lots of other tracking signs that can be and are used to show the way or convey a message.

A lovely idea though and I may build one at the weekend when I'm out for walk.

Cheers

JFW

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Inukshuk's are so common hear in northern Ontario on the road side and along lakes and pathways that they have just about worn out there usefulness. Like everything else once overdone which one would you follow, they were a means of people to signal the way traveled by previous groups as to where shelter and food could be accessed. If "Bushcrafter" are to use them as trail markers etc... at least have a recognisable style that would not be confused with others, Use them sparingly as they are now almost considered "graffity" here.
just athought

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
The last time I built one was in the spring over in the cotswolds. My lad was with me out for a walk for the day, and we were walking up a track when we thought of it suddenly when we saw some nice flat stones. An older couple out for a walk asked if we were burying out pet,!!! :shock: so I explained what we were doing, and about Inukshuk and Inuit. I think they thought I was Mental. I have a friend who is moving to Canada next year, and he told me about these some years ago. I'll be going to visit him when he's over there as often as he'll have me, so I'll be able to see some of the real old big ones that have been around for ages.
I think it's a lovely idea and looks pleasing as has been mentioned when built from the surrounding materials as they are. My idea is not to build an enormous Inukshuk that can be seen from miles around, merely a little pointer or sign to show those in the know what animals are about for example :wink: . You could have a sort of different design for a different message you wanted to convey. Danger etc
I think they're nice and a great sense of spirit from the people who build them the Inuits.
We can knock a small one up Buckshot next time we're out if you like. :wave:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Carcajou Garou said:
Inukshuk's are so common hear in northern Ontario on the road side and along lakes and pathways that they have just about worn out there usefulness. Like everything else once overdone which one would you follow, they were a means of people to signal the way traveled by previous groups as to where shelter and food could be accessed. If "Bushcrafter" are to use them as trail markers etc... at least have a recognisable style that would not be confused with others, Use them sparingly as they are now almost considered "graffity" here.
just athought
you beat me to it Carcajou

The number of cairns etc that are built throughout the hills here in Scotland render them meaningless. Although they may have had meaning in the past, to me now they are no more than self centred grafitti that says "I was here".

The old meaning of the Inukshuks may be beautiful - I worry that the meaning would be lost by being overused.

George

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I think its a great idea falling rain, I have seen many rock sculptures in my travels, some of the best I have seen are by ordinary joes who are influenced by their environment and feel the need to contribute an artistic interpretation - ie Orkney standing stones.
Go on and enjoy yourself and every time you pass your Inukshuk you will remember building it, what it means to you and the times you spent at the marked location. Your son and his children will also be able to appreciate it in the years to come and retell the stories of their ancestors (you).

I use my environment to identify various sites that I like going to, whether it is a natural rock outcrop, a tree or an old wall. It is only relevant to me but I have given friends directions to campsites using a description of features rather than a map and they always find it - so far anyway.

Cheers

JFW

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Carcajou Garou said:
just athought
I spent two weeks in Dorset Ontario just over a month ago,and your quite correct Inukshuks were just about everywhere.Have to say,i was well impressed with Canada and its people,very friendly polite folks.Hope to go back next year.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This must be good place, found over hundreds of these...

Very common on trials in the northern mountains in sweden.

10.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE