Interview Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi all,

For my University interview at Coventry, I have been asked to "Generate an imaginative concept for a transport device for your use in 2050. The vehicle may be land, water, air or any other type of transport device" so If its to be used by ME (which i think is a bit stupid) in 2050 that would make me 58. So any thoughts? what sort of ideas can people come up with?

I'm thinking some sort of boat that is solar, wind, and wave powered...that i'd live in..like a catamaran? and just say that I like sailing and would like to live in a boat when im older?? any suggestions are very welcome.

However im a bit stumped because I have to provide an A3 page recording any analytical thoughts and observations about my personal transport needs and desires in 2050?? How am I meant to know that!?

PLEASE HELP! :'(

Thanks in advance
Jordan

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
a jetpack like james bond they will have perfected them by then regards dave

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
yes but realistically, the water levels wont have risen significantly enough in the next 40 years surely? I have to be able to justify why im deciding to make it water based rather than land, which i cant ? :( my initial thoughts were rising sea levels but then thought that wont happen in the next 40 years. Another idea I had was making something amphibious, but then again its just the reasons why I need a boat. Basically I need to think what will my transportation NEEDS and DESIRES be by that time? its a stupid question if you ask me I have no idea

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Hovercraft fuelled by a sustainable bio diesel type fuel with no noxious gases.

Able to cover land and water.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
have a word with no idea hes the kiddie for that type of question regards dave

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Basically I need to think what will my transportation NEEDS and DESIRES be by that time? its a stupid question if you ask me I have no idea

What course are you applying for? It may be that part of the 'test' is to see if you can at least imagine yourself 40yrs in the future and relate why you want to do that course to where you see yourself going in the world.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you want to go with the boat thread.....most of the UK is accessible by water transport. Our major cities and towns are based on rivers. The 'Kings Highway' was literally the high and dry footpath/roadway that was usuable all year round. Subsequently, most goods were moved by water. (Most of the road network the Romans established fell into decay when they went back home, too labour intensive in a country with no overall authority. After that the road building was patchy and sporadic.) We are water wealthy, better to make use of it properly instead of polluting the world around us.

They tell us that fuel costs are going to soar, well the tide goes in and out twice every day, without fail, so regularly that we can even predict it accurately and it doesn't matter if it's raining, sunny, blowing a gale, or night time. Someway of obtaining energy from the tide race, either in our out, would surely fuel a boat and make for energy self sufficiency even in an overcast UK.
Amphibious is awfully useful though for getting from major waterways to smaller ones, to dry land.....or would folks just work and shop from home in 2050 ? We'll just need to wait and see :cool:

Best of luck with the interview :D

Just had a thought, Wicca lives on a boat all year round and he sails from the UK to warmer climates for the Winter....that might be a kind of relevant point to use.

cheers,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I have been asked to "Generate an imaginative concept for a transport device for your use in 2050. The vehicle may be land, water, air or any other type of transport device" so If its to be used by ME (which i think is a bit stupid) in 2050 that would make me 58.

Don't get too fixated on the age you'll be ~ but do allow it to guide you to thinking what you're likely to be wanting from life.

So any thoughts? what sort of ideas can people come up with?

Think/look into things that are being researched now ~ but, for the moment are impossible.

However im a bit stumped because I have to provide an A3 page recording any analytical thoughts and observations about my personal transport needs and desires in 2050?? How am I meant to know that!?

You know that you want and desire a craft that's water capable ~ and you know that you enjoy spending time afloat. The 'trick' is to see whether you can come up with a combo/plan of action.

Is there anything stopping you from presenting an A3 mind map?

... my initial thoughts were rising sea levels but then thought that wont happen in the next 40 years. Another idea I had was making something amphibious, but then again its just the reasons why I need a boat. ...

If you have a passion for boats, why not go with it? There is no wrong answer when someone asks you what you think.

Don't try to give them the answers you think that they're looking for ~ they want to see how you think. Remember, the Uni you're going to has (or had) a reputation for students/graduates thinking outside the box.

... its a stupid question if you ask me I have no idea

Not really, they're trying to see whether you are passionate about the subject - and whether you're willing to stetch yourself to see what others cannot conceive of.

Remember to they're not asking for all of the bases to be covered ~ it's futuretech. The science doesn't, as such, actually need to exist at the moment ~ just be named ;) .

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
What course are you applying for? It may be that part of the 'test' is to see if you can at least imagine yourself 40yrs in the future and relate why you want to do that course to where you see yourself going in the world.

I echo what Silvergirl said, it seems a standard type of question to see whether you can interpret a written brief & then stick within the remit of said brief.

So, in 40 yrs, what transportation needs do you think you'll need? At 58 you will still be active and relatively fit, but might need something more comfortable over long journeys. You may have poor eyesight for distance, so something with auto obstacle detection etc. You might be at the age were you need to go to the loo more often - so some type of NASA space loo - for long journeys. Pre-programmed sat-nav so the car can drive you home when you cant remember where you live :) etc etc
But be careful not to be condescending, it'll be sods law that your interviewer will be 58. haha

Then there is the whole eco subject, as the others have mentioned; but make sure you address the core requirements of the brief or they will toast you!

Good luck & let us know what you come up with :)

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Hi all,

For my University interview at Coventry, I have been asked to "Generate an imaginative concept for a transport device for your use in 2050. The vehicle may be land, water, air or any other type of transport device" so If its to be used by ME (which i think is a bit stupid) in 2050 that would make me 58. So any thoughts? what sort of ideas can people come up with?

I'm thinking some sort of boat that is solar, wind, and wave powered...that i'd live in..like a catamaran? and just say that I like sailing and would like to live in a boat when im older?? any suggestions are very welcome.

PLEASE HELP! :'(

Thanks in advance
Jordan

as a general rule of thumb, looking at the history of transportation, an invention takes at least a couple of decades to refine and become available to the public. so something you believe is possible in the next 10 -20 yrs is a good idea to start at. not a lot has happened in the past 20 yrs apart from digital technology.

It is safe to assume a realistic vehucle will be very advanced in terms of electronics so software, and computer realted stuff will be top notch, the sky is the limit for that aspect.
as for the locomotive part of it, not much has changed i nthe previous 50 yrs, most types of vehicles we use today were availlable in 1960, we will probly be using similar versions in 2060

VTOL - I've dreamed of a jet pack for years. I've also thought about a conveyer belt that you step/ drive on to and everyone goes the same speed at the same distance so no(?) chance of accidents. Also double decker roads so you don't have to add lanes ala M25 you build up instead. Not that there will be any cars since petrol will be rationed by then.

None water related I'm afraid.

Gibbo.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i don't see the use of cars changing that much - they're just too convenient. what fuels them will change. 58 you're probably rid of the kids from your house and if you've been wise getting lined up for retirement. sounds like its time for an adventure of sorts. so either the boat option you were on about or an RV with some futuristic twists like an auto pilot or being powered by water/hydrogen.

and some hydroponic nutrient rich food source grower

so you've covered your essentials transport, shelter, food and can now afford to survive on your measly state pension.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Woah hey easy justification for changing to a boat! You've seen how congested London is right?! And what is there that runs straight through London....The Thames! As the roads become more and more congested , which lets face it they will, people traveling by water is not a stupid suggestion at all. People used to travel by barge a lot more than they do now.

Remember what they've asked you to do
"Generate an imaginative concept for a transport device for your use in 2050"

What you design will not have to be realistic, viable or even possible...just imaginative. Just think outside the box, what would you like to be traveling in? Remember some of the most important inventions and discoveries of man kind were made by people too stupid to know they were impossible :D

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
As they haven't asked for a "personal" transport device what about resurrecting the Airship concept?
It always was practical and let's face it,the viewpoint would be awesome ,but you could easily run it on solar
and/or hydrogen fuel cells.Navigation by computer and incredible comms and using modern materials you could
run around the world using the Jetstream to add speed.Come to think of it you could live in it too.Go figure.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE