Interesting leatherwork commission............. (photo heavy)

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I was asked by a fellow member if I could make them a leather case for his bagpipes:confused:

After been given a few more details and measurements this is what I came up with.................

DSCF3110.jpg

DSCF3111.jpg

DSCF3108.jpg

DSCF3106.jpg

The case is 42" long x about 6" at the top tapering to 4" at the bottom. All hand sewn (around 500 plus stitches) in 3mm Veg tan leather with Brass fittings.

I delivered it on Friday to a very please customer:D

Cheers

Richard

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's gorgeous!

You should look into custom shotgun cases...big market and wealthy people!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That looks outstanding mate. Special talent you have there.

Thinking about a leather cover for the air cylinder on my air rifle.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Very, very special indeed. I've made the odd sheath that I've been fairy happy with but that is a different world altogether. Professional bespoke quality.

Graeme

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Wow Richard! - that's cracking mate!

How on earth did you stitch the middle of the tube? it looks like a double line of stitching on an overlap...... and the tube looks too small for your arm to go in and anyway at 21" to the middle that's a long arm stretch!

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Wow Richard! - that's cracking mate!

How on earth did you stitch the middle of the tube? it looks like a double line of stitching on an overlap...... and the tube looks too small for your arm to go in and anyway at 21" to the middle that's a long arm stretch!

Your right:rolleyes: I've learnt - never make anything that you can't reach to the middle of from both ends:eek:

I managed to reach a good 20 odd inches from the top and a good 12" from the bottom leaving about 8" in the middle I couldn't reach:rolleyes:

So after much head scratching I found a way using a pair of long forceps, a torch and a lot of patience - I now know how a gynaecologist
feels:lmao:

Still lesson learnt for next time.

Cheers

Richard

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Lol - I'm even more impressed now!

I've made a couple of short tubes like this that were only just wider than the needles so I know the pliers trick well. I have now had a go at 'but jointing' with a curved awl and needles but need more practice..... I would recommend this technique but its a pain to keep neat, I guess this comes with practice though.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Lol - I'm even more impressed now!

I've made a couple of short tubes like this that were only just wider than the needles so I know the pliers trick well. I have now had a go at 'but jointing' with a curved awl and needles but need more practice..... I would recommend this technique but its a pain to keep neat, I guess this comes with practice though.

Yer butt joint and curved awl is the way to go, but I doubt the strength of a single row of stitches:rolleyes:

Also using a curved awl is much easier if you have a solid former to support the joint, may be next time............

Richard

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Learn something new everyday. I never would have guessed a bag pipe would fit in such a container. They must roll up fairly compact when empty, never really considered it before. Nice work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE