Circa 1955 Scouts Soft Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a very nice bag.

I saw a plan to make a very similar bag from an old canvas smock...this was in an old Guides annual I think.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Woody Girl; If you want a bag I could help you with the leatherwork if you like.
That is very kind tengu. I'm still trying to find an original green one but if I do decide to make one I'd be grateful for some help with the leatherwork. Thank you for offering. I'll let you know.

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
That is a nice pack. had a very similar one as my first outdoor pack as a teenager. never knew it was a scout pack. it was a pass on through my uncles.
Mine had been modified with an axe loop. A soft pack like this made me really think about what I carried and how i packed it, helped no end. Thanks for sharing

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In that times people had to learn how to pack a rucksack, but got a very light pack.

Now a days you can throw in a modern rucksack jour stuff without thinking about, but the rucksack is 1 kilogram heavier than 1920.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've just cast my eye over the 'pattern' in the book. How you came to make such a beautiful pack out of that lord only knows. Again, well done sir.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think they got the same Cordura NATO stuff like everybody. That's the reason why they are sold for that price.

Imagine, they send it to Militarymart, Militarymart sends it to you, somebody has to pack it in somehow, in something...

I guess the army sells it for 50 cents.

They wouldn't do it if they would be still in use.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
They don't have shoulder straps as they have D rings to attach to webbing but they are dead easy to add straps to. They come in two varieties, a linen one and a heavier canvas one. The one in the pic looks to be the linen version. They're not as large as John's, maybe 20 litres. I've a couple and really like them as summer daypacks. Even done a couple of retro minimal overnighters with a plaspalatka lashed onto one.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE