Instant Tofu Soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Hi y'all! I thought I would post up a little gem I found at the grocery store, on my way home from a Dr. appointment earlier today. I have always enjoyed reading the lighthearted banter between Toddy and British Red over tofu. Now please understand, I am not brushed up on the protocol / practices of vegetarianism or its varieties. I, in no way, intend to offend anyone with this post. With that out of the way, I'll proceed. I got home about 13:00 and it has been raining all day so I had to do my little taste trial on the front porch. Toddy's recipes always sound very good to me so I thought I would venture into unknown territory. I know, instant soup is a far cry from home made. :D

Here is a Picture of the liquid sunshine from my back deck.
DSCN2278.jpg

Here is the instant tofu miso soup that I found in the Asian foods section at the store. This pouch was $1.00 so I thought what the heck. I have no idea what the Japanese writing reads; maybe Myagi (Liam) can interpret for me. :D
DSCN2271.jpg

Here is my kit that represents some items I may have in my pack when out and about. USGI canteen, canteen cup, Esbit cooker and Esbit tab.
DSCN2269.jpg

The Esbit tab just lit.
DSCN2272.jpg

My canteen cup with 3/4 cup of water (per soup instructions) on to boil.
DSCN2274.jpg

There are three individual serving packets in the large pouch. Very similar to "cup o soup".
DSCN2275.jpg

The main ingredients are miso, seaweed and tofu; not sure if it meets requirements for a vegetarian soup. I was not sure what to expect in taste as all the little bits were dehydrated. I was expecting something like bland cardboard.
DSCN2286.jpg

However, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste and texture. The soup was not your usual "salty" instant soup. It is hard to describe the flavor. It had a light hint of seaweed and something like a Knorr vegetable boullion flavor. I must say that I like the taste and will keep it on hand for future outings. For me, it was worth the venture into the unknown. :D Little bits of tofu and seaweed in the Sea to Summit spoon.
DSCN2283.jpg

Thanks for lookin'.

Gordy

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I like Tofu and I like Miso, never tried Tofu soup though.

Kikkoman are one of the better brands by the way, their shoyu (soy sauce) is fab.

Liam

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Miso and cabbage soup was one of the Japanese staples after the war. Some of the medical staff maintained it prevented them suffering from radiation poisoning. I suspect its having a resurgence in Japan at the moment.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
The soup was not your usual "salty" instant soup. It is hard to describe the flavor. It had a light hint of seaweed and something like a Knorr vegetable boullion flavor.

Gordon, miso has the seldom heard of 'fifth taste' which is called umami, which explains the difficulty in describing it.

I suspect its having a resurgence in Japan at the moment.

Sadly a lot of traditional companies that made miso were destroyed by the tsunami

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
'tis good food :cool: Simple, nutritious, tasty, low in fat and protein rich.

Must look out for that one here :)

Thanks Gordon :D

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<shudder> :)

I'll stick to Ainsley Harrits "hot and sour" soup! for instant!

I've eaten tofu - and quorn. I can can get as nice a taste eating meat though. At least the meat isn't generally GM ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
<shudder> :)

I'll stick to Ainsley Harrits "hot and sour" soup! for instant!

I've eaten tofu - and quorn. I can can get as nice a taste eating meat though. At least the meat isn't generally GM ;)

This bloke Red

fork.jpg

Tofu soup, I've emptied better looking stuff from a chest drain !

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Often these are ideal when out and about as a base for adding in the foraging :D
Mushrooms, quick stir fried roots and the like, are excellent with them :D

Or if folks are really into the dead beasties food, then roasted woodlice, fried earthworms or shellfish can be the addition of choice for a quick, hot meal.

I'll stick to the tofu :D

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Often these are ideal when out and about as a base for adding in the foraging :D
Mushrooms, quick stir fried roots and the like, are excellent with them :D

Or if folks are really into the dead beasties food, then roasted woodlice, fried earthworms or shellfish can be the addition of choice for a quick, hot meal.

I'll stick to the tofu :D

M

THAT man's brand of soup is made by Symingtons, the very company that provided dried soups for early Antarctic expeditions. You'll find Symington's soup in BM Toddy next to that other soup.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Rik :)

I admit I have a problem with a lot of the quick and instant soups, because they're thickened using wheat flour.
Most of the Japanese ones though aren't, so, so long as they don't contain fish :rolleyes: I find them tasty and useful.

Another goodie is the Tencal range. Tomato and onion varieties are fine for me :) and they do a chicken one I believe.

I've just looked at the photo of the sausages ............:D :rofl:
tell me you didn't photoshop that one :rolleyes: :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE