Instagram users beware

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For now I agree with you. But as we've said, FB isn't really private data. And even if they cain't force you to hand it over (the access) you cain't force them to hire you.

As I said, for now I agree with you (I'm retired anyway) But as more and more companies follow suit, there will be less opportunity to tel them "stuff it" and look elsewhere for employment.

TBH I see their point of view. You choose only the best info to put on your CV whereas your socila media tells a more accurate story of how you really behave.

My wife sitting next to me who just finished a law degree said if they ask for access to your social media accounts by asking for user name and password its the same as them asking for a key to your front door. They have no right to ask for it. Whilst they can ask you if you use it and see what you make public they cannot ask to see what you make private.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My wife sitting next to me who just finished a law degree said if they ask for access to your social media accounts by asking for user name and password its the same as them asking for a key to your front door. They have no right to ask for it. Whilst they can ask you if you use it and see what you make public they cannot ask to see what you make private.

I believe it's generally the same over here. That said, The main point was they might not hire someone who simply doesn't have an account at all.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
In the EU your even better protected, and asking for that info is a breach of privacy laws so most places wont do it.

But they can still look at your profile if they can find it, I have seen two rather nasty incidents resulting from that.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In that case I am sure there could be a argument made i.e opperational security etc or conduct unbecoming etc.....

Fairly close. He was making political statements which bordered on insubordination. Marines (and all military personel) are allowed to participate in political ralleys, fund raising for candidates, etc. just as any citizen. BUT! We are NOT allowed to do so in uniform or in any fashion that would give the impression of our view being an official military policy or which would be disrespectful to a sitting official or candidate.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Well that is fair enough, if your doing it in uniform it's breaking the rules campaigning for a political party as the Military (as a group) should have no political views it's very worrying that they might so I can understand why they came down on him for that.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I'm no fan of Facebook I do realise that after getting mucho investment it needs to get money from somewhere.
It will have huge running costs.
That either comes from charging the users for using it, advertising, selling your details to other advertisers or flogging your pics.

That's the price you pay for the service, decide if you are willing to pay that price and go from there.

A while ago I decided that I wasn't willing to let them sell my details to advertisers as I really detest junk mail/spam and bombed it off accordingly.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"It is our mistake that this language is confusing." :yelrotflm

Backtrack quick backtrack!!!!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
The main problem is little Zuckyy spent Far to much on them without board backing trying to look big before the IPO (the whole IPO was a farce) so now they are scrabbleing to try and get some money from it.

Backtrack quick backtrack!!!!

You know that seen in Titanic where they spot the ice berg?

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The main problem is little Zuckyy spent Far to much on them without board backing trying to look big before the IPO (the whole IPO was a farce) so now they are scrabbleing to try and get some money from it.

You know that seen in Titanic where they spot the ice berg?

Have you ever read the windows terms and conditions they used to be in paper form? on the old 2000 disks? Hilarious reading.
Often I think they just play the numbers game. Stick in the most restrictive nasty T&C`s you can think off and just hope they dont notice. If they do we will just wind them down a little more and eventually people will get bored and just accept them.
What does amaze me is that people still thing there is such a thing as a "free lunch" Faceplant, twit-er and all the rest are businesses with massive costs which need to be covered.
They pretend to be your friends and have your interests at heart whilst at the same time surreptitiously probe your pockets for loose change, be it monetary terms or rights and freedoms :)

Ooo the cynicism is flowing today :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Oh yes I have read the old school ones, hell if you want to read war and peace try the ones for VMS they have some of the most retarded conditions in. But the windows ones are special, if you haven't read it yet take a look at the leaked windows 2k source code and look at some of the comments... I kid you not some of the best insults I have ever read.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Here's the latest from the Instagram blog

Including:

Our intention in updating the terms was to communicate that we’d like to experiment with innovative advertising that feels appropriate on Instagram. Instead it was interpreted by many that we were going to sell your photos to others without any compensation. This is not true and it is our mistake that this language is confusing. To be clear: it is not our intention to sell your photos. We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear.

Ownership Rights Instagram users own their content and Instagram does not claim any ownership rights over your photos. Nothing about this has changed. We respect that there are creative artists and hobbyists alike that pour their heart into creating beautiful photos, and we respect that your photos are your photos. Period.I always want you to feel comfortable sharing your photos on Instagram and we will always work hard to foster and respect our community and go out of our way to support its rights.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I confess to having spent too much time on Instagram. If you are into photography it was a good place to share pictures with others who were into photography too. Some of the people I followed would daily post the most amazing photos. Just check out the work of "Wisslaren" daily recording the views around Karlskoga lake.
I say "was" because it has been changing incrementally away from what it used to be.
The niche tags that used to mean you could fine tune your feed were abused by folk who wanted you to look at their pics even if you didn't want to. Gradually everything has become clogged with a morass of commercial fashion pics, teenagers in front of mirrors, and "I heart it" pics. Access has been given to 3rd party apps which allows spammers to make the site tiresome. One of the worst effects seems to be that somehow the spammers could find out who reported them. It became a constant game to determine which of your followers was a real person.
This last business from FB is just a final nail in the coffin. Even if they aren't going to sell your photos, the place is still going to be plagued with adverts.
There are other apps out there, I have Flickr & EyeEm. EyeEm is interesting as it seems to have found a way to generate revenue which is unobtrusive to users. I am sad because I will miss the links with people across the globe that I made through Instagram. But Instagram today is not the same place as yesterday because the quality content providers have already left.

Z

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Here's the latest from the Instagram blog

Including:

Our intention in updating the terms was to communicate that we’d like to experiment with innovative advertising that feels appropriate on Instagram. Instead it was interpreted by many that we were going to sell your photos to others without any compensation. This is not true and it is our mistake that this language is confusing. To be clear: it is not our intention to sell your photos. We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear.

Ownership Rights Instagram users own their content and Instagram does not claim any ownership rights over your photos. Nothing about this has changed. We respect that there are creative artists and hobbyists alike that pour their heart into creating beautiful photos, and we respect that your photos are your photos. Period.I always want you to feel comfortable sharing your photos on Instagram and we will always work hard to foster and respect our community and go out of our way to support its rights.

Sounds like they're running scared now. :nutkick:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE