Instagram users beware

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
No, nothing wrong with a blog at all, even if its just pictures of bricks you pass by in your day to day life, its art of a sort or at least creative and of course there are some quite amazing blogs out there. Are the some 'quite amazing' facebook pages? Is there anything in there worth signing up for just so you can look at someones facebook page and history? Possibly, but probably not.

I travelled a great deal during the nineties and met and kept in touch with a lot people via email, in those days email was not disimilar to writing a letter, there was no skype, little or no mobile telephony and it might be weeks before the person you were writing to would be able to read and reply, These days the act of writing letters paper or otherwise has...

blah blah my daughter just woke up I'll fill this in later, or not. :)

tl;dr
----------

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Must admit falling out of love with Facebook but unsure of any other way to share my pictures where distant friends and family will see them regularly.

Orric

That's kind of why I set up a blog, my friends and family who don't do the forum thing can still see what I get up to

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't use FB much, but have seen this disclaimer posted by several artist / photographer friends, and have taken the precaution of doing so myself. However I don't think FB would take a blind bit of notice....

"In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal detail, artwork, professional photos and videos etc. (as a result of the Berne Convention). For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times.
(Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws.)"

No they won't take any notice of it whatsoever. Nor is there any legal requirement for them too. When you sign onto FB you automatically agree to THEIR terms of use. You cannot alter a contract by this or any other notice. Run it through SNOPES.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've had a FB account for a couple of years now and use it regularly. The thing to remember about privacy is simply don't ever say anything on there (or post any pix) that you don't want to be public. It's exactly the same thing as if you said something in a pub or on a public sidewalk (or tacked up a pic on a lamp-post on the street) In either case, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had a FB account for a couple of years now and use it regularly. The thing to remember about privacy is simply don't ever say anything on there (or post any pix) that you don't want to be public. It's exactly the same thing as if you said something in a pub or on a public sidewalk (or tacked up a pic on a lamp-post on the street) In either case, there's no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Spot on. I have fb, Twitter x2 and instagram and I'm carefully what I post.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its handy for keeping in touch with workmates, just don't put anything on there you don't mind the rest of the world seeing, its as watertight as the Titanic.

greensurfingbear

totally agree. I run my FB page with a pg/12 rating and I keep it free of anything other than vague general stuff but I don't like the idea of folk using my images to sell stuff without my permission, or at the very least asking me first.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Never had an account and never will, I like forums and email. Bit of goggle and that's about it. Glad I stay away from all of that.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.

Absolutely. If you choose to post it on FB, it's like shouting it in the middle of the high street. I try to keep my posts as clean as if I was talking to my mother. With a potential employer in the room. And I'm convinced that FB was set up by the NSA to see who gets connected with whom.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Absolutely. If you choose to post it on FB, it's like shouting it in the middle of the high street. I try to keep my posts as clean as if I was talking to my mother. With a potential employer in the room.....

Speaking of potential employers, many are now requesting access to you FB (and/or other social media) account rather than a resume (CV) it's becoming difficult in some circles to get a job without one.

resnikov

Speaking of potential employers, many are now requesting access to you FB (and/or other social media) account rather than a resume (CV) it's becoming difficult in some circles to get a job without one.

I have heard of this .Any company that asked for access to my FB account can get stuffed, I would not work for them. They can ask but they cannot force you to hand over private data.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have heard of this .Any company that asked for access to my FB account can get stuffed, I would not work for them. They can ask but they cannot force you to hand over private data.

For now I agree with you. But as we've said, FB isn't really private data. And even if they cain't force you to hand it over (the access) you cain't force them to hire you.

As I said, for now I agree with you (I'm retired anyway) But as more and more companies follow suit, there will be less opportunity to tel them "stuff it" and look elsewhere for employment.

TBH I see their point of view. You choose only the best info to put on your CV whereas your socila media tells a more accurate story of how you really behave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE