Inspired by Wayland, made by launditch1, used by me!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm sure we all agree that Wayland has some great gear, and that he freely shares his ideas with all of us.

I've seen his firetray set up a number of times and last October asked him if he minded me copying his design - of course, being a true gent, he didn't mind and took the time to show me his set up, up close.

This all slipped my mind until recently, when I challenged launditch1 to make a similar setup.

My new toy arrived last week, and is it's half term, I decided to have a few nights out to play with it.:D

All shiney and new, yet to be used...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet002.jpg

In use, supporting my griddle and kettle, mmm breakfast...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet007.jpg

Sideways on, with my home made gypsy pot hanger...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet018.jpg

In this shot you can see the space underneath the tray, which we used to dry the next batch of firewood as everything was soaked!

After 2 days of almost constant use, flat packed waiting to go home...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet024.jpg

Finally, just in case you wondered...yes it was cold:hatscarf:, as you can see from the ice on my tarp:eek:...
Middlewood-Feb2010mininmeet009.jpg

So a big thankyou to Wayland for kindly allowing me to copy his set up, and to Launditch for making the tray to his usual high standards...gents, I salute you both:thankyou::35:

Simon

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I like that Simon.

If you use it without the hoops, is it quite stable & secure or do they help lock it in place as well?

Can I also ask what the diameter of the disk is please?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I like that Simon.

If you use it without the hoops is it quite stable & secure or do they help lock it in place as well?

Can I also ask what the diameter of the disk is please?

The hoops are only there to support the angle irons(and don't touch the main tray at all), which in turn are used to support the pots & pans.

It was very stable, sitting snug on the 3 support "pins".

Diameter is about 18inches.

Simon

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i kind of made the same setup,i also have a cast iron griddle ,not in the picture though.this was the gear before they were painted.
Picture1922-1.jpg

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I forgot to say ,the firetray is quite heavy and only used when car camping of course,the bottom of an oil drum cut of and dressed is the same diameter and is a lot lighter and just as good ,also you get two out of it.:D

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Looks good Simon.Im glad you like it.And i also like the look of that breakfast!!proper food.
Hows the paint job holding up?It should resist temps of 650 degrees...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looks good Simon, sorry I couldn't get out to join you for a bivvi.

Hope you don't mind but I might as well pop the pictures of mine up too to help anyone interested in making one for themselves.

Fire_Rig02.jpg

This is mine although I've since shortened the angle irons so that they nest into the tray with everything else.

Heavy_Kit_3.jpg

This is fully packed with a couple of gas bottle cauldrons and an iron bakestone which helps to show scale.

Heavy_Kit_2.jpg

You can see that the pegs and the rail bars are sized to fit into the tray.

My tray was a metal rim from an old knackered wooden wheel which I welded a sheet of 16g steel to. I've since drilled a small hole near the edge to provide extra support for my gypsy rig.

The plywood disk helps to cap it all when packed and gives an under base to prevent heat strike on the floor beneath the tray. It's smaller than the tray so that it doesn't channel water underneath if it's raining. I've also raised it up on occasions to make a grill under the fire. (Mmmm.... Pizza.......)

Like you I use the space to dry wood out and if I'm using it on a living history camp, where I can't use plywood or angle iron of course, I arrange fire wood underneath to provide the heat shield and set up a tripod over the top.

The idea originated from needing a fire on heritage sites that could not allow fires on the floor for archaeological reasons. It had to protect the ground but also not look too out of place in a historical encampment.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
do you light the fire directly on the steel Wayland? - on my old Scout troop we used to cover the steel base of our alter fires with some soil to protect it. Always have but often wondered if it was necessary. One of those things where you feel it's not worth the risk....

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thanks for the comments.Much appreciated!
Simon has pointed out that the ring on the fire tray could have been taller to allow a build up of embers so im sending him another ring to weld on to make it taller.

And Drew, they are always available anytime just pm me when the time is right mate.Cheers!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mine is about the same height as yours by the look of it.

Some of the copies made by re-enactment traders have a deeper ring, but I prefer it low so that it will slide under the wooden chests, that I use in my living history set ups, when they are packed in the van. Believe me, loading space can be a major consideration when travelling in my business.

If I need more height in use, I just put quarter split logs around the edge and feed them inward as they burn. By shifting their positions around I can control the air flow through the fire.

I usually rake the charcoal out onto the top in the morning and spread the fine ash towards the edge lip. I've run cooking and evening fires for about a week that way with no problem.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks a lot Simon.... I've been thinking about Gary's cooking rig and talked to him as well about it because I'd admired it for ages since I first saw it in use... and you now go and have to post up your new kit.

Looks like I'll have to start saving a few pennies and sell some gear before I drop Laundtich a PM.:rolleyes:

Mind you.... we could always have a Wayland Cookset on tour thread... a bit like the Honey On tour one. Pictures of it in use at different locations with sumptious food on the go :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE