inspired by my holiday on Orkney

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just got back from 2 weeks on Orkney ... and if ever there is a place to inspire anyone with an interest in prehistory Orkney is it!
Since getting home I have been having a crack at bits inspired by items I saw in museums there - and this is the result so far:)
bone headed javelin/spear
barbed spear head.jpg
barbed spear and fishing spear
fishing and barbed spear heads.jpg
detachable head on fishing spear
fishing spearhead detatched.jpg
fishing spear close up
fishing spearhead.jpg
limpet spoon, limpet and bone pin cloak pin, shell knife, bone skinning knife/scraper
limpet spoon, limpet and bone cloak pin shell knife bone skinning knife.jpg
view of the 2 spears
two spears.jpg
All natural materials were used in their construction though the bone and rawhide were sourced at a pet-food shop ... the resin glue was melted in a metal pot on a gas cooker and I did use some metal tools and modern abrasives.....
I have yet to make the Atlatl for the barbed spear/javelin but I have a bit of Holly in mind for it :) - now made and tried out :)

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
FIERCE love the limpet spoon. Were considering going there for our Hand Fasting.
cheers

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work there John, I may be a bit simple but what did you use the raw hide for?

The rawhide was cut into thongs for whipping the bone spear head and knife blades in place. the spear head lashing was then coated in resin glue but the knife was not.
Willow bark cordage was used on the fish spear as rawhide stretches if it gets too wet ...

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Fantastic stuff John. We're off to Orkney early August to stay with family near Stenness. I've not been for a few years but I was there on placement twice in my student days and have some brilliant memories. The history is just amazing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fantastic stuff John. We're off to Orkney early August to stay with family near Stenness. I've not been for a few years but I was there on placement twice in my student days and have some brilliant memories. The history is just amazing.

This year Stromness Museum has an exhibition on Dr John Rae (the man who mapped Canada) and it is well worth a visit ... but the Museum in Kirkwall is closed for electrical work ... just one more reason for me to go back :) as if I need a reason!
I took over 500 photos over our 2 week stay :) and if it did not have such bad winters and did have a few more trees then I would emigrate there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE