Some of my bone and stone bits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I enjoy primitive skills stuff so I thought I would post up some of my bits.
I am still a long way from expert but I have fun :)
Some I made earlier... Leaf and barbed and tang style arrow heads in various flints plus a couple of bone points
003.jpg
Flint javlin

backlit...

Fish spear with detachable head

Bone harpoon

Rawhide or natural cordage lashings with resin glue as a waterproofer as well as a glue....
Todays effort... front and back
019.jpg
020.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Truely excellent workmanship. Worked flint is a thing of beauty
I would love to use the fishing spear, sockeye in rivers are 4-8lbs usually.

My brother is connected to a small group who make bows (ash), arrows and use
flint heads made by a knapping group.

Opthalmic surgeons use scalpels made of obsidian. No steel can be edged adequately.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Nice work John.

I have been working on my flint stuff a lot this year after having a few lesson from Will Lord at the gathering, I am starting to get use to doing arrowheads and I am trying to work up to bigger items. One advantage of being down here on Salisbury plain means I can sometimes get some larger bits of flint to try and work it. I still want to work on a larger project such a spearheads and hand axes or even axe heads. Flakes for small knives I find I am getting good at but I noramlly mount them in wood rather than bone. I also want to produce pine glue as most of my mounting I do with artifical sinew and I would like to have a go at the real thing as well. Lots to do and little time to do it in as always. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely stuff Mr Fenna, I especially like the bone harpoon. Pity you cant get a chance to use it in the UK. Did some bowfishing for mackerel a few years back though not so much a skill as point at shoal and shoot. Would love to try it with a bone harpoon like that. There's just a certain something about worked bone like that. Top stuff.

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
Superb, John!
If that "Ace of Spades" is as big as it seems in the photos, it may also make a good cleaver too mate ;) Seriously though, you have done some bloody good gear there John. You should be duly proud of them!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Ace of Spades - my latest piece - is only 2" from tip to toe... 1.5" wide
I have a collection of Hand Axes though - made by Karl Lee - some of which I have trouble holding they are so big!
I have used flint tools to butcher a pig on one of our meets - they are very effective!

Andy_K

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2014
Harwich
jackslrf.co.uk
There you go, bursting me little bubble of imagination which was simmering away in the void between my ears. I was hoping it was about 8 inches or so length.

I'l bet you were glad that you didn't have to despatch the pig first tho, ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE