Inspired by Horace Kephart

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I used Kephart's own knife as the starting point for this knife. The shape of the blade, the 3/32" (about 2.3mm) thichness, the size, about 3 1/2" long blade and the 4" handle. The shape of the handle is a bit different. I wanted a very simple knife with a comfortable handle. I used some Teak for the scales, epoxied on and riveted with two steel pins. There is a lanyard tube and a leather lanyard, which is absent on Kephart's knife. I chose the teak for its very oily properties. The handle is carved with anothe knife, no sanding...I don't like the Teak dust, and I like the ripples caused by the carving!

The sheath is completely different from his too. I made it deep, as simple as I could think. The loop forms part of the welt and is hand sewn. The sheath can be used either left or right, without modification. It hangs at a small angle, but that's no problem. The long loop is also quite narrow and flexible, which I find more comfortable when carrying the knife on the belt.

Only a couple of pictures as the battery's has just died on the camera!

P1030780.jpg

P1030779.jpg

I'll put up some more pictures when I have recharged the battery.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
As i said on BB - I'd own it :D

Not seen teak scales before but they have an 'age' about them that I realy like

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Thanks for all the nice comments. I can do complicated & ultra shiny, when I want to. But, it takes soooo long to get a shine on a knife, then it gets scratched in seconds...doh... I much prefer the simple, practical solid looks of a knives like this one. To me a knife is a tool, I can't do with the drawer queens living a pampered life. Not for me!

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
I'd have that on my belt. There is a certain elegance in simplicity and I think Horace knew that.
That is one of the best knives I have seen here since I joined.
You have a talent Sir.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd have that on my belt. There is a certain elegance in simplicity and I think Horace knew that.
That is one of the best knives I have seen here since I joined.
You have a talent Sir.

And I'm going to - well one just like it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE