Inflatable or closed-cell?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
I can't decide whether to dish out for a thermarest or not.
On the one hand, I like the fact that the closed-cell foam ones are mega light and you don't really have to worry about them getting wet and stuff like that. I have no problem using them on the floor either - I find them perfectly comfy.
But on the other, I've heard such great things about thermarests! Are they warmer? I'm quite a cold sleeper so that could be a deciding factor. But they're also quite heavy, aren't they?
Also, can you use closed-cell ones in a hammock, or do you ideally need a thermarest? (Or underblanket, I know).

Thanks for any help,
Allie :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I find an open cell mat is far warmer than the old closed cell ones I used to use in the scouts. I don't have one, but have heard good things about the Airic mats from Alpkit.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
If you're comfy on a closed cell, you shouldn't bother buying an expensive thermarest imo. If the closed cell isn't always warm enough, you could get a thicker model or one with reflecting foil on one side. For as far as I know, closed cell shouldn't be any problem in a hammock (will be testing that out for myself).
I personally got a self inflating Alpkit airic but I'm starting to go back to my closed cell foam mat to loose some weight...

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Yeah that's the thing - I'm starting to think I really need to cut down on weight - I'm going on a course in the summer and just from my rucksack, daysack (necessary apparently), hammock, tarp, sleeping bag and bivi bag I've got 8kg! That's not even including clothes, etc etc...But then I want to be warm!!

i use a therm-a-rest prolite 4 (always with groundsheet to minimize risk of puncture); regular size. and i'm fully satisfied with it! warm enough for me and packs to a smaller size than any closed-cell-mat i ever used(and smaller than any other "self-inflating mattress i saw). and it's not too heavy -680 gram for regular size.

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Used a closed cell Karrimat for years (25ish), then was introduced to the Thermarest as a way of saving space in my rucksac whilst on my BELA course. Initially I was sceptical of them, but now use it whenever I sleep on the ground, which TBH isn't that often now that I have a hammock!

Simon

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, Thermarest Pro-Lite here too. Not as light as the very lightest of closed cell mats, but far more comfortable and warm. I use the Pro-Lite 3 since I'm not much into winter camping... At 570g, I don't think it can be beat.

D

Deleted member 7976

If you are looking to trim weight go closed cell and get a good one. They last forever so no point getting a £5 one on the high street. If you can afford the weight take BOTH.

Inflatable mats are great until you get a leak and then you're sleeping on the floor, and every inflatable I've ever owned including thermrests have eventually sprung a leak. They usually last a while, just long enough for you to forget where you put the repair kit. Even if you have a repair kit you invariably discover the leak only when you set up camp in the evening and the thermarest repair kits require 24 hours drying time for the glue before use.

I have a couple of thermarest prolite 3s which I've been using for motorcycle rallies as they fit in the panniers and to be honest I don't find them any more comfortable or warmer than my closed cell mats.

Favourite closed cell mat at the moment now Karrimor are defunct is the Multimat (same people who manufactured the karrimats) Summit XL - only 355g and available in olive green. Wiggle.co.uk have the olive green ones in stck for £23.

I'm also looking at the Exped inflatable mats at the moment as they don't have the weight penalty of the thicker class of thermarest and make the prolites look akin to sleeping on oatcakes. Awaiting delivery on a downmat 7 dlx and 2 x airmat 7.5s at the moment and will let you know what they are like once I've given them a proper use.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Ok, brilliant thanks very much.

What about if I'm just thinking summer-wise? Would a closed-cell do a sufficient job d'you think, both in a hammock and on the ground?

D

Deleted member 7976

What about if I'm just thinking summer-wise? Would a closed-cell do a sufficient job d'you think, both in a hammock and on the ground?

Easily. As the top end closed cell mats are designed to insulate people from the ground in everest and polar type conditions warmth isn't an issue in UK conditions, summer or winter. The only consideration as I see it between closed cell and inflatable is the comfort level and balancing that against weight, bulk and dependability.

Someone else will have to give an opinion as to hammocks as I've never owned one.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

I've only put a mat inside a hammock once and hated it. The blasted thing kept slipping out from under me, so for me at least the only option in a hammock is an under quilt.

HTH

Simon

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I seem to have more of an issue with volume rather than weight - ie I can carry it all, I just can't fit it all in. :rolleyes: I have a Stormlite inflating mat and it takes up a lot less room than the rolled closed cell mats I own.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I seem to have more of an issue with volume rather than weight - ie I can carry it all, I just can't fit it all in. :rolleyes: I have a Stormlite inflating mat and it takes up a lot less room than the rolled closed cell mats I own.
But since the closed cell mats are very strong (and cheap) it's not really a problem hanging them on the outside of the bag, is it?

A

Alex.W

I've had a thermarest for a couple of years and I find them much comfier than closed cell mats and more importantly they take up less room.
The repair kit is a waste of time though. If you get a puncture just wack on some black nasty!:cool:

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hmm interesting.. So it really does look like a matter of preference :rolleyes:
I must say I don't fancy the idea of a leak..
Eek I don't know what to do! Seems like both have advantages.
Someone tell me what to do! :p

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
If you're comfy on a closed cell and you don't mind hanging it on the outside of your pack, take it.
If you are not comfy on the closed cell, or you want the mat inside your backpack, and you don't mind the chance of punctures and you don't mind the (slightly) extra weight and you don't mind paying a lot more, get a self-inflatable imho.
(disclaimer: I have both and choose depending on destination :))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE