Inflatable or closed-cell?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
I think the ability to have the mat on the outside is good as I need as much space as I can in my rucksack :p
But then.. Aah I'm like becoming schizophrenic! I want both :p But I don't have the money.
Does anyone recommend a particular closed-foam mat?

I think if I was getting a thermarest I'd be looking at either this due to the cheapness (don't know how good it is though?) or the Women's Prolite 3 or 4, although I'm not too keen on the expense..

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I think if I was getting a thermarest I'd be looking at either this due to the cheapness (don't know how good it is though?) or the Women's Prolite 3 or 4, although I'm not too keen on the expense..
I'd recommend the Alpkit Airics as a good self inflating alternative for the Thermarests, been using my reg airic for the last 2 years and very happy with it, but the slim airic (2,5cm) should be just fine comfort wise and is lighter... (sometimes I'm almost too tempted to get that one as well, solved by telling myself the closed cell is still lighter and comfortable enough ;))

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
....Even if you have a repair kit you invariably discover the leak only when you set up camp in the evening and the thermarest repair kits require 24 hours drying time for the glue before use.....

hahaha, thanks, this is the best reason for me not to buy a inflatable sleeping mat, lol. Thanks for helping me decide as well on that subject :)
Lush

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Does anyone recommend a particular closed-foam mat?

I don't think it matters which brand you buy. The thing with closed cell mats is that they are made from a "simple" material. Apart from the color and thickness they are basically all the same. They are almost indestructible.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
closed cell for me ,multimat 5 season i use it on ground and in a dd hammock and find im not worried about embers and sparks if im sleeping next to a fire.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I just picked up a Insulmat Ether thermo mat. Basically similar to the Exped down filled mats, but with synthetic insulation.
Last weekend I spent my first night camping without a hammock in almost 2 yrs and woke up aching. This mat (2.5" thick and insulated) seems to be pretty good. A lot more comfortable than my prolite 3.
Cheap too.
If you chose to use any mat in your hammock, make sure you have something to insulate the bits of you that touch the sides of the hammock (shoulders and knees). Some people use windscreen reflectors.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Take both too.
My Therma-a-Rest once had a short scratch on both sides (including the seam) - impossible to repair on tour.
And a closed cell only is not comfy enough on uneven (or rocky!) surfaces. It works, I know - but IMHO the loss of energy during the night outweighs the pros in weight.
So I use a thin closed cell and a light Therm-a-rest ( 3/4 is heavy enough!).
Helsport closed cell ('Moskus'), 10 mm, 470 g, green/white (!)
Therm-a-rest ProLite3 Small (3/4), 370 g

+: When used with a tent, it might be of use to put the closed cell between tentfloor and extra footprint (Therm-a-rest inside of the tent) - to avoid puncture in the tentfloor.

David.from.Holland

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2008
Holland
I used to use closed cell mats. But I'm just not comfortable on them anymore (to thin). I recently purchased a Big Agnes insulated air core mat and its absolutely fabulous, nice and thick and packs realy small. Off course you have to be super careful with inflatables.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE