inflatable kayak.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
hi all, been really tempted at getting out on a kayak again, used to have a rigid one man thing when i was a kid that we "found" behind a garage and went travelling down the local waterways.

im really really skint so basically i just want to know if the cheap (i mean really cheap) ones work. i know it isn't going to be a patch on something more expensive but if i can get myself and a rucksack with a tarp and hammock in it and do some travelling i'll be happy.

thinking something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRAVEL-KAYAK-...14&_trkparms=72:1688|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

will it go in a straight line??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I think that one is aimed at bobbing around in the sea with the family, if you're planning to go down rivers or play around on lakes I don't think it would last that long tbh. Have a look at secondhand Sevylor Rangers/Amazons or Colorados on ebay as these all have a tougher outer canvas hull. I had one and it was spuerb but the previous owner hadn't looked after it and I got terminal punctures in one of the tubes eventually :(

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
did i mention it has to fit in the boot of a metro?......

i've had a look at those suggestions and they do look much better, but £175 for a second hand one that needs collecting is just way more than i can afford.

i was really only on about something to use on the canals, i live just round the corner from the leeds/liverpool and spent a fair bit of my childhood fishing it so i know a few good spots for camping within a few miles paddle.

its mainly to see if i enjoy it enough (though i admit that buying something cheap isnt the best way to have a good time) before shelling out for something quality.

basically if it floats and goes in a straight line it'll do me for £50

i suppose the main question is if i buy that and go down the canal...... will i get laughed at???

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
''i suppose the main question is if i buy that and go down the canal...... will i get laughed at???''
Getting laughed at might very well be the least of your problems!!!!!!

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
lol.... that bad??

i wish i had a roofrack and storage space as i would just have a go at making a rigid one, or that i was capable of saving any substantial amount of money up without spending it on silly things before i get a chance to buy something decent!

so many bits of kit i really want! so little time/money!

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
there are basically 3 types of design as far as this thread goes......

Inflatable/rigid/folding

I just don't like the idea of an inflatable even a very good quality one!
A rigid is no use to you as it will be too big to transport and store.
which leaves folding of which there are two types......

ply folders ie plywood construction which have rubber "hinges" but these to are too large.

so....

skin and frame.....

these were used by the Comando's in WW2 and commercial versions were made and periodically come up for sale second hand.

If you ever get the chance to watch the very early documentary "Nanook of the North" this inuit makes a canoe out of seal skin, drift wood and bone and uses it to hunt in the arctic waters of Canada.....

It may pay to do a bit of googling, the choice is yours good luck!

Hope that's helpfull.

Smoggy.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
The cheapest Sevylors, e.g. the Tahiti, are great fun and they come in a very discrete shade of green.
They look like beach toys but people have taken them on some very extreme trips. Just remeber to get the optional skeg, it helps to keep them in a straight line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE