In the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hello all,

Well, it's been some time. In between Spain, work and other misadventures I've found myself reconnected with my lost love for the bush. Bushcraftuk was a major part of me for some time, some time ago, it is even said that I would have done well in school, had it not been for Tony et al. I like to give him some of the blame, too. It only seems fair. :rolleyes:

Anyway. A year ago my father bought 9 acres of ancient woodland, mainly comprised of oak, willow, hazel, ash, hawthorn and rowan, also pine and larch. Unfortunately there is no birch. We've set up camp in an old quarry, which has turned into a beautiful meadow-like "dip", with an oak cabin. It took six months to transform the said quarry from a bog with old tractor bits, to a beautiful, dry spot, which is now bathed in bluebells. There are 7 pine rounds surrounding a fire bowl (like an African "boma") to one side, a "pond" (which actually goes down 5+ meters), three enormous oaks in the middle, and the cabin nestled into the cliff face on the far side. The rest is just dense woodland. You can imagine what I think. Enough to make a bushcrafter weep.

I find myself there every 2 weeks whenever I'm back in Cardiff.

So. Two things. I plan a moot, if this complies with the rules. I would love to see some of the guys I met a few years ago, put some faces to names again, but obviously it would have to be limited with numbers. I'd say 10. It would be for about November. A long weekend of bushcrafting. I start a job in Valencia in June, so I'm away for a while. Let's see who's interested. Is this okay Tony?

You would have noticed I've put in bold the trees listed above. We're trying to learn as much as we can about forestry, and it's a complicated process. Does anyone have any interesting facts, uses, ideas etc about/of the listed trees? Medicinal? Practical? Foodical? (you understood).

Look forward to hearing some suggestions and hearing from you!

Cheers,

Jake

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello stranger :D Long time no see, hope life's good. :cool:

The site sounds wonderful, working at something like that is deep down satisfying :approve:

No birch? would you like some? I've howked out about a hundred 2" high silver birch seedlings today alone, and I haven't finished. I could pack some little ones in damp peat and post them in a padded envelope. So long as you get them out and into light and water they'll be fine.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oak - ships and timber frames for building of course. "Hearts of oak" in the song. Bark is a good source of tannin for leather making. Wood for spokes and barrel staves. Acorn for coffee and famine food flour. Galls are not fruit but the home of gall wasp larvae - useful in ink making. The tannin in oak is very useful in wine making and used to cread "oaking" or "bite" in many white wines. As a home brewer I use a cup of oak sawdust to achieve this,

Is this the sort of thing you want?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hazel

Great for hedging and a traditional coppice wood (cut down to a "stool" and left to re-grow). Makes a good coppice firewood and also very useful for straight staves for huedles, sticks etc. Clearly has uses as a producer of hazel nuts too!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Larch - a weird thing as it is a deciduous needle bearer. Its main uses are in its rot resistance - used a lot in fences, boats, liquid carrying vesels etc.

I'll leave the rest for others to chime in on - was about to get going on ash - amn thats the most useful of trees - I plan on coppicing some for tools and firewood - can even pickle the keys (seeds) and eat them - a great tree.

Still _ if no-one else chimes in I'll get enthusiastic tomorrow!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hello there!

What a generous offer. The place is in serious need of birch. If you would post me some I'd be so grateful, as would mother nature! Thanks Toddy. Thank you very much.

JF, there's space for a little one. It's right by you, near Llandovery/Llangattock.

Feels good to be back...

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks BR. Great info. We've got into hurdle-making (casually), and basket making, using the willow and hazel. That is exactly the information I'm looking for.

Get enthusiastic! If you want you can come down and show us around our wood, if you get me.

We're learning a little about coppicing, pollarding etc. Wood management is a complicated task, and we're trying to inflict as little pain as possible. We've hired woodlanders a few times to show us the ropes. But I need to do a course really. Any recommendations?

The cabin, by the way, is within legal borders, so it's not for sleeping. Beautiful nonetheless. I just thought I'd drop that one in there before coming across as a law-breaker. That was for my aloof youth.

Hi Spamel!

Jake

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Jake, welcome back

I think you had just about disappeared off the radar when I signed up in '05

We're still playing with sticks, sharp pointy things and generally setting fire to stuff so we can have a brew. I don't think it'll take you long to catch up.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It may take a while to get re-accustomed to forum etiquette :eek:

I like how little things change! I knew I'd be back someday. We can't still be into sharpening sticks and boiling water... can we.... ?

Brilliant.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for invite Jake - would love to look in for nosey some time.

So - Ash - brilliant for several purposes. It has a lot of "spring" so is the best wood for making tool handles (also used in lots of sports gear , paddles etc.). Burns green or seasoned - the king of firewood. Can be coppiced like hazel. As I mentioned before you can pick the keys green and pickle and eat them - not great but okay.

Willow - the bark is a natural source of "aspirin" - can be used both in poultices and tea. Also food in tool handles and in friction firelighting. Useful in basketry and the traditional source of wattle (as in "and daub"). Rubbish as a firewood mind you - unless you get it really dry

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rowan is about my favourite firewood after ash - burns hot and long.

Berries are great for homebrew and jam making. Not aware of many traditional used for the timber - doesn't get huge so maybe thats why.

Hawthorn is a corker. The was of course are edible and good in wine. Leaves are edible too when young. Good firewood and hedging plant - amkes a cracking walking stick (although blackthorn is better still)

Pine is great for resin and sap - good kindling but spitty firewood. Pine needle tea id good for vitamin C. You can of course make turpentine, roisin and various other materials from pine trees, really good for making natural varnish and woodstains.

Thats a start on the trees anyway - you also clearly could use bluebell bulbs for glue. roots for bindings etc.

Red

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Fab. Look at that. I may have to copy and paste that into Word! I'm slightly nervous about making tea/eating berries as I have no knowledge on the subject, and a mistake could be messy...

Ash is rare in our wood, unfortunately. We have maybe 5 in the whole thing, with a number of saplings. What would be the ecological ramifications of planting birch near oak? Would there be any?

I've heard the Rowan has some kind of "spiritual" relevance. I can't elaborate.

Hey Hoodoo!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:lmao:

I'll never live that one down, will I? It was the real reason I went absent for two years, I couldn't handle the shame of it all... Although you can all imagine what it felt like, losing a Woodlore. That sinking feeling is something I haven't felt since.

And no, different wood. ;)

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
you know what a pine tree is so you can make a brew with a handful of needles in boiling water. You must have some stinging nettles or other edibles on the site!
Has Hollywood made you thick?:nana:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
It wasn't Hollywood so much as the girl...

Point taken!

I suppose if I make myself sick, or worse, I'll thoroughly deserve it. Darwin Award-esque.

Is it tasty?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its OK if you dont mind a mild taste of turps.Nettles are reasonable too. I convinced 32 cub scouts to wilt some over a fire and eat them this evening!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE