In the woods. AW test. Pic Heavy

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Out for a night again with my daughter this time, same spot as with my son a few weeks ago so sorry for some pics the same as last time. Have to be fare!

Had chance to give my new AW textured slim bushcrafter a proper test too. Other pics of knife and whittling test HERE

The knife performed as I expected it would, great. Made pot hanger for billy can, prepared a trout, battoning, whittling etc etc. I usually carry a small axe and bancho saw too anyway so doesn't have to do anything extreme.

Here are the pics.

Camp set up, dry night again so no shelter, just under the stars!, brew on the go.
IMG_3263.jpg
[/IMG]

Some char cloth in the making. Great stuff. Let me know if you want a small sample bag to try. Works a treat with firesteel.
IMG_3265.jpg
[/IMG]

A freshly tickled trout from the nearby stream. Sorry, fishmonger, didn't take pics of the cleaning, not necessary really.
IMG_3274.jpg
[/IMG]

Prep for cooking on the fire. The AW was superb, razor sharp, easy to hold, even with slimey slippy hands, can"t beat wooden scales.
IMG_3275.jpg
[/IMG]

Mounting on sticks to cook.
IMG_3288.jpg
[/IMG]

Ready to cook. Rare pics of me, I'm usually behind the camera.
IMG_3292.jpg
[/IMG]

He's happy with that!
IMG_3294-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats the fish starter on the go. Lowered a little. With some Jacket spuds on the fire to go with cheese and beans for mains.
IMG_3302.jpg
[/IMG]

That will do nicely!
IMG_3304.jpg
[/IMG]

The sharps shot! I know you've been waiting for it.

A superb Shing Bush Baby, handled by me in Ivory micarta, mosaic pins, leather by me too. This is my daughters knife, moved up from a clipper. she loves it.

My new AW textured slim Bushcrafter as seenHERE

And an Axe. Not just an axe though, a superb little Wildlife Hatchet, great bit of kit. If I could take only one item?!?!

They are naked in the next picture, so look away if offended!
IMG_3310.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3312.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3315.jpg
[/IMG]

Heres a pic of my woods bedside table. Theres a snugpack response pack which houses all those things we take to the woods, crook knife, monocular, notepad and pencil, first aid kit, firestarting kit, tissues, etc etc. The tan pouch is a milspec monkey admin pouch, and this houses bits I want to hand but not on my person, Iphone, work blackberry, fags etc.
IMG_3317.jpg
[/IMG]

Superb pouch, map case inside. The outlined red area on the map is the area of woods I can use! lucky me!
IMG_3308.jpg
[/IMG]

My kids keep a diary whenever we are out for the night, I get them to write what we've been up too, what we had to eat, do sketches, etc. Been going for 5 years now and its great reading sat by the fire at night.
IMG_3323.jpg
[/IMG]

Morning, a brew and bacon on the go.
IMG_3346.jpg
[/IMG]

Shes got to learn somehow!
IMG_3364.jpg
[/IMG]

And relax!
IMG_3388.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Great post, my eldest(daughter 9) has been hinting she'd like to go camping with me, which came as a complete shock as i didnt think it was her thing. Will show her this post,should give her good motivation.

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Great post, my eldest(daughter 9) has been hinting she'd like to go camping with me, which came as a complete shock as i didnt think it was her thing. Will show her this post,should give her good motivation.

My daughter is 12, nearly 13. Been coming out with me for 5 years now. She will love it. Take her out. Don't get me wrong, she loves her computer, TV mates etc, but it all disappears. Real quality time.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thanks for sharing, great piccies and man does that trout look yummy! How did you clean the knife afterwards?

My three boys are still a bit young for wild camping. The idea with the diary is bril, I will copy that if I may!

Cheers

Mike

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Thanks for sharing, great piccies and man does that trout look yummy! How did you clean the knife afterwards?

My three boys are still a bit young for wild camping. The idea with the diary is bril, I will copy that if I may!

Cheers

Mike

Just water and dry thoroughly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE