In the making: New indispensable piece of Bushcraft kit

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like the look of that - so when do we get to hear it?

Well, I need to finish it first! So far, I fixed the neck to the box, cut the slots for the frets and put 3 coats of finish on it. Now gotto make the bridge, make and fit the pegs, make and fit the tail and finally fit the strings.

And it's meant to be a quick to make banjo! Make you appreciate why a good hand made banjo, or knife for that matter, is expensive.

After that, the minor problem of tuning the thing and then learn to play it..

I might be a while..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
That is a beautiful piece of work.

Those strumsticks seem really intriguing. A brilliant stringed instrument for your pack and apparently anyone can sound good, which appeals to me as I am currently only proficient on the kazoo...

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
That is a beautiful piece of work.

Those strumsticks seem really intriguing. A brilliant stringed instrument for your pack and apparently anyone can sound good, which appeals to me as I am currently only proficient on the kazoo...

I was looking on Youtube and there is a massive series of a guy making one. It looks really interesting to me, I might have to have a go one day!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Well, I finished my banjo today. I am very pleased with the result, even though it has quite a few faults!

DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0125-3.jpg

DSCN0123-1.jpg

DSCN0118-1.jpg

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Wow! What a beaut.

The combination of artfully shaped different woods on the headstock looks fantastic. What wood did you use for the pegs?

Makes me want to make something intricate and composite... Probably not an instrument though... I'll have to have a think

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Only that you can see, it looks fantastic! How did you work out the spacing for the frets?

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve. The spacing is easily worked out: the cheat's way is that there are some fret calculators on the net that works out the right fret spacing for the length of strings used, in my case 21". It's also possible to work them out using a compass, I couldn't find mine so used the fret calculator.

What wood did you use for the pegs?

I had some left over pieces Mexican Rosewood from making knife handles scales so I used that. I am really pleased with the mix of woods: Ash, Oak for the fret board and Rosewoods for the pegs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE