In praise of the humble withy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grunde

Mar 12, 2015
Norway
Hi again.
I promised to shed some light on the use of withies, and now I've finnally collected everything I've been able to find on this topic in Norwegian sources, and made my best effort to translate it into english (in advance, please excuse the language). I hope some of you fellow bushcrafters will find this interesing too.
After all, withies used to be a indispensable resource for our ancestors. I for one think this skill deserves a resurrection.
(Pictures and illustrations will be posted shortly.)

This text is largely a translation from the book "Plants and tradition" by one of the country's most legendary botanists, Ove Arbo Høeg. It was published in 1974 based on a long and extensive series of interviews and written contributions to record traditional use of plants, from old people all over Norway. Alas the book went out of print years ago and is only available from time to time in antiquarian book stores, where it usually costs £300,- upwards.

Many of "facts" here are somewhat inconsistent, probably since the text is largely based on stories from people with only second hand knowledge of this skill. Some of the texts were hard to interpret even for me, as many of the contributions are written in some pretty hard core old-style dialects - which are abundent in Norway. Here we take good care of even our most obscure dialects, and we have a proud and long standing tradition of speaking so that no one outside a 5 km radius will understand a word.

So here's my humble translation of the text into English. My English is not the best, so please feel free to correct my language by PM.
Here goes:

https://vimeo.com/81447317

WITHIES:
Terminology:
Whities are slender, unbranched shoots or twigs, twisted and prepared as to be used for different kinds of binding. The descriptions of withies (no: vidjer, vier, viu, vio) varies from region to region. In some parts, at least in modern times, the term withies has become confused with the common names for different salix shrubs. The name withy often refer to the shoots themselves, while the finished product after twisting is called (no: spenning or spenil) (eng: my best english translation would be "buckle").

Harvesting and preparation:
For the most part long and slender shoots shot from birch stumps are used, ideally without side shoots. Other species of trees has also been used to some extent, for the most part buckthorn, sallow, willow (mostly bay willow), and to a much smaller degree juniper. For some particular purposes, corylus and picea (hazel and spruce) are used.

Some quotes to illustrate traditional preparation:
"Withy buckles are made of twisted, long birch shoots wrapped together to resemble a short rope with a strong loop at the root end. The shoots were cut down by the root, whittled flat or pointy at the thick so it could be jammed it into a notch in a stump before twisting. Then the withy was twisted from the top until the wood started separating lenghtwise. It became harder the further down you went. It had to be preformed slowly and carefully to make a supple rope that would bend easily. It required strong hands. When this was done, the withy was wrapped around itself into a ring for storage and soaked in water for a couple of days."
"No other trees than birch was used for withies. When we found and twisted withies in early summer, these were made into rings and threaded on a twig for use in winter. Before use they had to be soaked thoroughly."
"Before twisting they were put in the fire until the bark started hissing. Then they put on foot at the root end and started twisting."
"Root shoots of birch were used, but also salixes for less demanding tasks. Cut off bark and side branches. Twist with your right hand and control the process it with the left. The best time to twist withies is around midsummer . You had to twist them right after harvesting, otherwise they dried out and the bark would not come off."
"Withies were best made in spring. Before twisting they were dried in the sun for a couple of days.
"Withies were best made in fall. In spring they were too tender."
"Withies were cut and prepared between spring work and harvest. That time gave the strongest withies."
"Old people used birch. Juniper was also used because it does not rot."
"I remember we were sent out in the woods to collect withies. Preparing and twisting were work for the long evenings. The withies were stored and used at need trough winter time. They had to be soaked first. If not they would not sit properly."
"While twisting, some stood on the root end, others put it under their seat and sat on something hard. Twist with one hand while the other guides the twisting down along the shoot. When it's finished, it can be made more malleable by drawing it back and forth over your shin below the knee. Hold the withy tight and do not let the twist go out. If it wasn't to be used right away, it was lashed into a ring. The thick end was bent into a sharp loop and the thin end was then threaded through and the rest of the thin end is twirled around the ring. Each fall they should have prepared a good stock of these for use as oarlocks, amongst other things. Before use it was soaked in seawater.
"Summer withies were the best, but some said the best ones were harvested in fall. Otherwise withies was cut in spring. Then they were allowed to dry a bit while before twisting."
"Twisting a withy was a difficut skill. The most common error was too many holidays (no:helligdag) (sections where the withy was not properly twisted)."
"The best material was birch shoots from stubs, shrubbery or dense underwood. Branches from larger birches could also be used, but were less sturdy. First the branches were trimmed off. If you have large side branches, cut 1/3-1/2 into the withy right under the stub, and removed it, so as to weaken the withy. If you don't do this, the part around the branch stub will not be twisted properly. The withy had a short untwisted section at both ends. Small withies were twisted by grabbing the top with the left hand, twisting at the root end, and coiling the withy around the left wrist as the twisting progressed. Larger withies were twisted by standing on the root end. Very large withies were twisted while still on the root. I have seen withies that my grandfather made, over three meters long and as thick as a grown man's wrist."
"Not everybody knows the art of twisting withies anymore. Many old people were skilled experts on this. They were most tenacious in fall and winter. Old people would never use a withy harvested in spring while the sap was running. Often they were stored for long periods before use. This made them more sturdy. They were best when harvested on a growing moon. This is true. I have experienced it myself."
"As a kid we were sent to find withies all the time. Every man had to know this. Withies made all kind of bindings. For strong rings two were often wrapped together."
"People took withies at need, no specific season. Only birch, long shoots without without side brances. With large side branches, a small notch was made just below it."
"Withies was made in two ways. It was important to not get notches in the wood, so some left a stump of the side brances until it was finished and then trimmed off the branches."
"Withies was drawn through the ashes before use, this was called sewing. The bark came off with a sharp snap. Then the rest of the bark was shaved off with a dull knife. They were strongest in summer or spring."
"Frozen withies had to be thawn before twisting. Otherwise they would become too brittle. They cut the bark lengthwise and barked the withies over the knee with the back of a knife. If some bark was left, it would come off during twisting. Strong loops were made of up to four withies."
"Being able to twist a nice withy was a question of honour, and great effort was put into it to making them look neat. If a boy was not strong enough to twist a withy, he was not yet ready to get married.

The reports tell that extra large withies of up to an arms thickness were twisted on root, with the help of an axe shaft or similar. For many purposes withies were wrapped into a ring that could be opened and closed, and different knots at the end acted as a buckle or lock. This was called a (no:spenning).
The thick end was twisted into a loop to make the buckle. About third in from the root end, the withy was layed double and twisted together (like when making a rope) so as to form a loop at the end. The thin end was used to secure the buckle. The rest was trimmed off. The loop could then be secured in the buckle to form a ring.
There were at least tree kinds of buckle knots (see illustration). The first one (no:gråtaren) ("the weeper") were the easiest but also the weakest and most difficult to disassemble. The second was also fairly easy but better. The third (st.Stefan or st. Olaf) was the prettiest and most difficult to make, but very also the easiest to lock and unlock.
The tale behind the names is that st. Olaf one cold winter day came by a boy who was crying because he could not unlock the loop around his horse's neck. St. Olaf then took a withy and demonstradted how to make a easier buckle.
Withies were a very important remedy and a farm had to have a lot of them ready at all times, especially before winter set in. A common saying was that a wise man always harvested a withy whenever he saw a suitable shoot. A common question to measure young lad would be: "Do you take a withy when you see it or when you need it?"
In quite a few mountain communities it was common to produce withies for sale to the cities.

Use:
Withies were used to such an extent that it can be hard to imagine today. Examples: Securing turf roofs from wind by laying logs on top and securing them with withies. Door hinges, gate hinges and locks, for securing the blade on a scythes, for hanging meat, for securing live stock outstide and inside, carrying a fresh catch of fish or ptarmigan, to make brooms, loops for buckets, in barrel production and to make rucksacks of frames for carrying. It was even made into nets to carry hay loads, and carrying baskets used by woodsmen and peasants. For horse sleds withies were considered stronger and better than both steel, rope, leather or sinew. Wagoners carried a extra set of withie rings in the belt at all times, in case some or the old ones broke.
A well made ski binding of withies were considered a work of art. Snow shoes for people and horses were also made entirely of withies, apart from the outer ring that was made of sallow (not twisted). Both birch and juniper were used to make oarlocks. Nets of withies filled with stones were used as anchors. Withies were made to secure loads on boats, wagons, sleds and packs on horses, oxen etc..
Trunks of small spruce were linked together to make chains of booms during timber floating in the rivers. They twisted the top end into a withy, and by this secured it to a square hole in the thick end of the next trunk. This work required two strong men. Spruce withies were also used for roundpole fences (no:skigard). Belts for linking together hand flails for threshing were made of withies, rawhide from sheep, halibut skin, eel skin or ox penis. The latter two were considered the best.

Conclusion:
The old use of withies are rapidly going out of style, and few are left of the older people who knows this ancient art and the many uses for it.

Extra from the chapter on hazel:
Wherever hazel grew it was used for hoops on buckets and barrels. This was a house industry. Shoots of hazel were split and shaved down to size. Some regions exported large quantities to England each year. Charcoal from hazel were considered especially fine. The wood had to be stripped before delivered to the gun powder factory in Maridalen (Oslo).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE