In Memory of Southey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup, and they haven't always been used for farming :)

Neither was the tommahawk. Or the Viking axes. They were always meant to be multi-use items exactly because they were carried by just about everybody.

Thar said, some of the items in the video seem to be more heavily oriented towards the weapon aspect than multi use. In reality I see them more oriented toward the "neat gadget that will sell" aspect than any other.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
"An that's the bottom line .......why?......cause hillbill, said so " (in a stone cold steve Austin voice over)

An that's good enough for lads in 't village :thumbup:

Lol, it's caught me on a grumpy day. Had a tooth out earlier and my head is sore :D

Last edited:

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
Neither was the tommahawk. Or the Viking axes. They were always meant to be multi-use items exactly because they were carried by just about everybody.

Thar said, some of the items in the video seem to be more heavily oriented towards the weapon aspect than multi use. In reality I see them more oriented toward the "neat gadget that will sell" aspect than any other.

I'm dissapointed by the folder with the flip out guard, I would have tgought it better to have the guards flip out with the blade, ignoring the other design flaws, that one makes me sad, as if its an idea half realised.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Isn't the kukri used for everything from a kitchen knife to a farming knife to a machete substitute in jungles to a war knife for killing people. Kind of the NEpalese army knife in that it is many tools in one. Amazing how many variations on it there are too. Variations can be as subtle as the number of those little notched at the handle end of the blade. Not a knifey type so know not what they are called. I did read a bit once on the various more common styles of kukri such as the Indian or was it British Raj army one.

Anyway the one that looked a bit like the kukri was really just an overdesigned verson of the kukri that ruined it for me.

BTW That Hawke guy...wasn't he the "survival expert" that they had on the TV studio commentary part of that programme a good few years ago where they got a good mix of normal people and shoved them on a semi-tropical island with a hut and left them to try and fend for themselves and create their own community? He was the guy in the studio telling the studio audience that it was safe to drink your own pee for up to 10 minutes after you pee it out. A case of a guy with military training getting into the media and making some money. An American Bear Grylls perhaps although I prefer BG any day over him.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm dissapointed by the folder with the flip out guard, I would have tgought it better to have the guards flip out with the blade, ignoring the other design flaws, that one makes me sad, as if its an idea half realised.

Yeah me too. The style you describe is what's on every swithblade I've ever seen.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....A case of a guy with military training getting into the media and making some money. An American Bear Grylls perhaps although I prefer BG any day over him.

Other than this video I've never seen him. But based on it alone, I get the same impression you do.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
He's an idiot. Never heard of him before and i hope i never hear of him again.

He and his wife do or did the series Man Woman Wild

Get his wife instructing on the BCUK courses if you want to increase their popularity

ruth_england_ruth_DFehJyo.sized.jpg

Not a bad show, easy to watch

[video=youtube;lGhXfNLGd1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhXfNLGd1Q[/video]

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Variations can be as subtle as the number of those little notched at the handle end of the blade. Not a knifey type so know not what they are called.

I'm told the notches in a Kukri are a Cow's hoof print and related to Hinduism.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm told the notches in a Kukri are a Cow's hoof print and related to Hinduism.

That's one of several theories (almost all related to Hinduism) Another is that it's Shiva's trident. Still another is that it's a female phalic symbol.

In any case, they're called a "cho."

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE