In Memory of Southey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Saw this and thought of him...

[video=youtube;J5PxLSMIgs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=J5PxLSMIgs8[/video]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
He'll be back. Until then check out Shug on youtube for entertainment value! :lmao:

[video=youtube;f_R5yH0rNMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=f_R5yH0rNMw[/video]

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Even if all of the virtues that he claims for those knives are true, they are still incredibly ugly looking pieces of metal :yuck:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It'll no' fit in my handbag ;)

Seriously, what does one do, in a UK bushcraft sense I mean, with something like the Klingon tool in the vid ?

cheers,
M

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Speaking as a non-expert regarding knives .... My main thought about the knives he showed was that they may well have functional blades but the handles looked as thought they would give you some really big blisters.

Then I saw his axey thing and if a weapons manufacturer refuses to make it then that suggests to me that maybe it shouldn't be made but - hey ho - it takes all sorts ......

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Actually, after a little thought, I have to say I'm a bit uncomfortable about that whole link within a bushcraft forum. I may be opening a whole can of worms, but bushcraft involves the use of sharp edged objects like knives and axes, as tools. That guy is openly marketing those axes and so forth as weapons. Except in the sense of hunting (and those are definitately not hunting tools) bushcraft is nothing to do with weapons at all.

I'd hate to think that the public perception of bushcrafters is of guys with axes that have a "360 degree kill zone". It really isn't what we are about, but it could easily be misinterpreted.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree. That's ok.

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
I'm sure it would be taken in the vein as it is Intended, an advert, the guy just has a varied range of tools, most of which are in sure aimed at our friends across the pond, his recurve hand knives are very similar in design to a khukry, a war tool which has found a large following within the "Bushcraft community" I DON'T think we should be too worried about how we are percibed, after all, what others think of us is none of our buisness :D

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
He's an idiot. Never heard of him before and i hope i never hear of him again.

"An that's the bottom line .......why?......cause hillbill, said so " (in a stone cold steve Austin voice over)

An that's good enough for lads in 't village :thumbup:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm sure it would be taken in the vein as it is Intended, an advert, the guy just has a varied range of tools, most of which are in sure aimed at our friends across the pond, his recurve hand knives are very similar in design to a khukry, a war tool which has found a large following within the "Bushcraft community".....

A war tool? Every farmer in nepal has a Khukuri.

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
I'm sure it would be taken in the vein as it is Intended, an advert, the guy just has a varied range of tools, most of which are in sure aimed at our friends across the pond, his recurve hand knives are very similar in design to a khukry, a war tool which has found a large following within the "Bushcraft community" I DON'T think we should be too worried about how we are percibed, after all, what others think of us is none of our buisness :D

Mykel Hawke produces a LOT of knives/blades that are aimed at, and are very popular with, the U.S. military....

I didn't bother having a look at the vid - I've got enough "war tools".... :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually, Harvestman raises a good point.
"360 degree killing zone" gets this shifted into Fair Game :rolleyes:...........cannae really see thon thing taking off among the deer hunting gralloching folks though :dunno:

Ah well.

It's not so much mind the children, as please be conscious that a lot of folks read the forum at work or at college; we've already had folks in bother over opening pages with unsuitable images. At least if they're in Fair Game they know to only open that forum in suitable situations.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE