In-cannel V gouges?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All,

I have become sucked in by some basic woodcarving. I need to chase around an incised step and clean it up. I have tried quite hard with knives and palm gouges, without great results, but ideally I think I’d really like a small in-cannel V gouge, i.e with the bevel on the inside of the V. Even more ideally :) it would be a palm type gouge. Does anyone know if such a thing exists for a reasonable price? My google-fu has failed me.

Cheers, Bob

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If my imagination serves, I'd flip a Pacific Northwest crooked knife upside down and sweep the cut with the pointed tip.
Like farrier's hoof knives, the bevels are on top. Cut the scorp off at a skew for a point. Used ought to be almost free.

OR, make one. Joint off an existing one and begin with a chalked file to set new incannel bevels.
I think that I'm brave enough (stupid?) to try it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset

Nearly :). I have all of those already, as the V gouge in that set is an 'out-cannel' version, with the bevels on the outside. The one of those that I have nearly works, but it doesnt get properly into the bottom of the groove and cleanly cut it as I would like.

The real problem is mine. I cant seem to cut one face of the 90 degree step without marking the other face, and I'd like a clean smooth step. So it may jst be practice on a piece of scrap until I'm good enough......

Reactions: Robson Valley

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I think most people would use a knife, chisel or skew chisel and then accept tthat you might score the opposite face (a very common sight in even expert carvings).

Of course, if you really need an incannel V gouge, you could either modify one or ask a tool maker if they can make you one ;)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hmmmmm. Seems like the corner chisel suggested above is the nearest thing, and so I may get one and try that. It’s also reassuring to see from Dave’s post that the marking of the other face is often seen as well in carvings by others :)

Thanks all, I will have a go at both a tool and a practice type of approach, neither of which can be a bad thing.

Cheers, Bob

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Crooked knife blades of the Pacific Northwest are double beveled and sharpened to a point.
They are commonly used for formline carving = a 90 degree deep groove.
Turn the knife over and make long, scribing 2-handed cuts for control.
Come back and cut the other side. If you're good, really good, you rarely overshoot the first cut.
Even so, burnish the overcut with the tip of a nail and it's mostly invisible.

These guys are as good as it gets, many of the shapes were distilled by Bill Holm.
I prefer the big'C' shape to carve my dishes with flat sides and flat bottoms which meet at 90 degrees.

http://www.kestreltool.com/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE