Black Belt in Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Any instructor worth their salt, military or civilian will have formulated a lesson plan using a method of instruction were the information is delivered in progression of the skill set and ability of the class.

Instruction, Demonstration, Apllication, Reflection and Review tends be a standard across the board, there are other discriptions but they basically fall into the same method of delivery.

Even adults returning to learning in the education system usually have to undertake an 'access to learning' course to help them adapt to a learning environment again.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
A very interesting thread. Maybe this has already been touched on, but there might be a third option. I've actually done a fair bit of different types of teaching. I've been a MA instructor, life guard instructor, several professional types of trainer/assessor (inc. NVQs) and had to pass various qualifications along the way. But the most notable one would be the professional body qualification I took at uni. I'm a graphic designer by trade and applied to become a member of the Society of Typographic Designers. For this I had to submit a body of work that was reviewed and moderated by a broad spectrum of respected designers within the society. Now this work is from a brief which has no definitive answer. Now to be honest, designers aren't the most single minded people and everyone of them has their own ideas on what is good. But to get a consensus from them that you are competent in your craft is an achievement. But these marks are moderated against previous years pass/fails, which adds a qualitive dimension to the process.

Now how could this be applied to Bushcraft? Well could we form a society of respected Bushcraft practicioners. An exam syllabus of skills be set. E.g. be able to create fire by x number of methods a minimum of 3 times. Create a makeshift shelter and, well, you get the idea. This way the candidate can develop their own skill sets, but be deemed to have reach a "standard". Couple this with demonstrated teaching skills and we could have a credible qualification.

Bringing this back to MAs, (or even NVQs) these can form many levels which show what you know and your ability to put it into practice.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Now how could this be applied to Bushcraft? Well could we form a society of respected Bushcraft practicioners. An exam syllabus of skills be set. E.g. be able to create fire by x number of methods a minimum of 3 times. Create a makeshift shelter and, well, you get the idea. This way the candidate can develop their own skill sets, but be deemed to have reach a "standard". Couple this with demonstrated teaching skills and we could have a credible qualification.

Who will put the 'society' together initially and who will be in it ?

In my opinion from my experience in the business, I'm afraid what you could end up with is a group of friends who run companies together being the 'society' and it will be more exclusive than inclusive, very much invitations only - they will make sure there is only so much room around the table at the start so as to get the edge on their main competitors, who then may not even recognise the 'society' and may even set up one of their own.

I also feel that it is pigeon holing the skills too much, I think the ways of survival/bushcraft are far too expanse for a group of individuals to turn round to everyone else and say, '"look, we're the authority, heres our xyz certificate to say so - you do it our way or you can't join our club and therefore your not as good as us", where does it end ? heaven forbid, they'll be going to Africa next to tell the Bushmen they've been doing it wrong for the past 40,000 years.

Just my humble opinion and I accept it won't be the same as others :lmao:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Heavens forbid that we end up with a regulated Bushcraft syllabus :(

Bushcraft is different tings to different people - you only have to look at the variety of stuff practiced by the members here to realize it would be very difficult to structure - leatherwork, wood carving, smithing, survival skills, hunting .....

What I do find a little worrying is that anyone can set up to teach what is in reality an outdoor pursuit without regulatory control. I suspect that if someone was badly injured during a bushcraft course the authorities would look very carefully at the qualifications of the instructors, risk assessments, and insurance.

I'm not advocating controlling the course content but controlling the safety of the running of the course - first aid, safe practices, liability insurance etc.

I'm sure these thoughts won't be iniversally liked either ;)

Broch

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Am I the only one who read the first paragraph...and then switched off...

Nothing personal, but just get out there and enjoy it...there's more to life...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Who will put the 'society' together initially and who will be in it ?

In my opinion from my experience in the business, I'm afraid what you could end up with is a group of friends who run companies together being the 'society' and it will be more exclusive than inclusive, very much invitations only - they will make sure there is only so much room around the table at the start so as to get the edge on their main competitors, who then may not even recognise the 'society' and may even set up one of their own.

I also feel that it is pigeon holing the skills too much, I think the ways of survival/bushcraft are far too expanse for a group of individuals to turn round to everyone else and say, '"look, we're the authority, heres our xyz certificate to say so - you do it our way or you can't join our club and therefore your not as good as us", where does it end ? heaven forbid, they'll be going to Africa next to tell the Bushmen they've been doing it wrong for the past 40,000 years.

Just my humble opinion and I accept it won't be the same as others :lmao:

I take your point, maybe I'm just a little too fair minded. In my "vision" there wood be a wide scope of professionals, ideally they would have differing approaches to bring a real depth of knowledge to the table. Also the idea of demonstrating proficiency of a skill rather than just a prescribed methodology allows for personal learnings and skill sets. As I mentioned with the professional qualification I took, you were assessed as to how well your submission fitted the brief. If the brief is to create fire using 3 different methods, all you need do is create fire, or build a shelter for 2 people for one night. The way you do it is not up for question, the fact that it is fit for purpose is what counts. Bringing it back to Martial Arts, a self defence move against a knife either works or doesn't and that's what counts in the real world.

But that's my utopia, a society run for the love of Bushcraft and passing on the skills, not for profit. Agreed it would take time and effort to set up, and let's be honest, it's not likely to happen anytime soon. But I've seen it work with the Society of Typographic Designers and I've put it to practice through Martial Arts.

Maybe one day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE