Virtual hand drill workshop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Here is a tutorial I have tried to put together for people learning the hand drill. Although it is in my mind moderately clear and comprehensive I have yet to have feedback that it has actually led anyone to succeed. But, it is early days. I hope that people will try it out and tell me what is good and bad about it and how it does and does not help them achieve success. It comes from my personal experience and I know that others will do some things differently.

So, anyone out their trying to hand drill - do get involved and comment on your progress and how the guidelines do and don't help.

Hand drill tutorial – Part 1, draft.

Introduction

Hand drilling has probably been in use for 10s of 1000s of years. It demands only two pieces of wood, your bare hands and your skill. It exceeds the bow drill both in its absolute minimum requirements for components and in the satisfaction gained by mastering it.

It is recommended that you learn each of the basic skills before attempting to put it all together to make fire.

You will need
  • 1 drill (see below)
  • 1 hearthboard (see below)
  • A tool – knife or saw - to cut and shape hearthboard and notches, and trim the drill initially
  • A warm dry place to store the parts for a day or two before use (An airing cupboard is ideal, but just in a comfortable living room temperature would do as long as you give it another day or two and the air is dry). In dry summer weather you can get away without special storage, but for the rest of the year a warm dry place is a real help.
  • A sheltered, dry location, either outdoors or an out house, very well ventilated to take away the smoke – to perform your drilling. There should be adequate lighting to be able to see any smoke, and any dust that collects in the notch.
  • A step, chair, log or other low but flat and stable surface – about 9" to 20" off the ground (see standard position below) on which to place the hearth board to drill onto.
  • A piece of cardboard as the coal collector, to place under the hearth board notch
  • A bucket of water in case you need to put out a fire.
  • A small container of water to moisten your hands, easily within reach when in the standard setup position (see below). This can be omitted if you choose to moisten your hands with spit/ saliva.
Optional extras.
  • A set of bathroom scales that gives a continuous readout is very useful in learning how much downward pressure you are generating.
  • 1 cloth strip about 5 feet long, and a foot of cordage, suitable for making (optional) thumb loops as an aid to improving downward pressure.
  • You might need some sandpaper to roughen any shiny or polished drill tip or depression
Theory

By spinning the drill tip in a matching depression, with downward pressure, you use your energy to rub two wooden surfaces together. The friction results in both heat and a fine dust being created in the depression. As a notch has been cut into the side of the depression the dust falls into the notch and will collect in a pile. With sufficient work the drill tip, depression and the dust that falls into the notch will be hot enough to smoke. If sufficient smoking dust collects fast enough in a pile in the notch then it forms a self sustaining coal. Air coming in sideways and rising through the hot dust pile is essential to sustain and feed the burning process. Initially a column of smoke continues to rise, followed by a visible orange glowing, fragile coal. You then have about a minute or two to transfer the coal into your bundle of tinder and blow it into flame.

Basic skills

Success depends of mastering each of the basic skills, and then being able to use them in combination. Take one at a time and work on it. Don't try to get a live coal until you have mastered all the skills.

A) Finding and making the drill. The woods I recommend are – buddleia (butterfly tree), elder, philadelphus (mock orange), rose or mullein. The real challenge is often finding wood the right shape and size. The best wood is usually straight, strong growth up from low down after the bush or tree has been cut back previously. 2-3 years old is usually best.

You need a wood that gives a fine dust on friction. Usually the wood you need will be green and live when harvested. It is rare to find a suitable drill that is already dead. The piece of wood should for preference have a soft pith core. Length about 2 feet. Cut the ends square and then round them with tool or friction. , Strip off all the bark and smooth any knots that will damage your hands while drilling. Diameter is very important. Nearly all sticks are tapered. You need the active, stripped end to be between about 1 and 1.5cm diameter (3/8 to 5/8 th of an inch). The other end may be larger or smaller. It should be straight enough that spun between your hands with the tip in a depression it spins smoothly and easily. It should be dried before use. It must not have rotted at all. Rotting occurs quickly to wood that lies on the ground. If the drill has a slight bend then you may be able to straighten this while it is green or with heat.

B) Finding and making the hearth board. I would recommend you start with an ordinary commercial softwood (pine) batten. It should be about half an inch thick and a minimum of 1.5 inches across. Length long enough to put your foot on to stabilise it. Many woods would also do. Harder woods may need a smaller drill diameter, and can form a smooth polished surface that it is difficult to get friction from. Hazel has a coarse texture and is difficult to work with. Oak is also difficult.

C) Keeping everything dry. It is vital that your wood – drill and hearthboard - is thoroughly dry. Don't attempt making a live coal unless you have first stored the drills and hearth board, loose and unpacked in a warm dry place until completely dry for a couple of days. Wood absorbs water from the air, so even in transport to you, or in storage in a cold shed in the winter months it will pick up moisture. I have harvested, stripped and straightened a green wood drill on one day, stored it in the cupboard with my hot water tank and could make fire with it just two days later.

D) Prepare your tinder, kindling and firewood. If you want to be ready to convert your glowing coal to fire then you need to have already prepared a tinder, kindling, and fire wood before you commence drilling. I have omitted details on this but they can be found at www.bushcraftuk.com .

E) The depression, notch and coal collector unit.

Use a tool to make a shallow depression in the hearthboard. Then spin the drill in it to wear it down to a smooth circular depression

1) The depression in the hearth board should match the drill tip and allow free movement of the drill not only in the vertical position but also if the drill is slightly out of true. With use a depression can become deep with steep sides. This restricts the drill movement. Either abandon this depression or use a wider drill to wear down the upper part of a deep depression.
Drill1.jpg

2) With continued or repeated drilling the sides sometimes taper down to a narrow bottomed or pointed depression, narrower than the natural drill diameter. This wears the drill into a narrower point and rarely makes a live coal. Abandon a tapering drill hole.
Drill2.jpg

3) Make a notch from the side of the hearthboard into the side of the depression. The notch should be a blunted V shape. It should extend into the round depression but stop short of the central point. There should be a smooth vertical fall from the depression to the coal collector below.
Drill3.jpg

4) The flat under surface of the hearth board (especially the walls of the V shaped notch) should fit snugly to the surface below. There should be no gap or cavity for the dust to spread into and therefore cool down under the hearth board.
Drill4.jpg

F) Standard Setup Position. Make sure you are dressed in comfortable light clothing that allows free movement of your shoulders and allows you to comfortably stand with one foot on the step. Take off any coat, and jumpers and empty your pockets. Set up your stable step in your chosen location. On it place your dry hearthboard with the pre started depression side upwards. I tend to orientate a hearthboard crossways with the notch facing away from me but it makes little difference as long as the final position is practical and comfortable to work with. Place a piece of cardboard under the notch. Put one foot upon the hearthboard on the step, avoiding covering the chosen depression in the hearthboard. Now take your chosen drill and place it upright in the depression. Next position each hand, flat, fingers together and pointing forward, one each side of the top 6" of the drill, the drill at about the mid point of the hands. Your hands should be between chest and waist height. If not then arrange a different height step.
Drill5.jpg

G) Spinning the drill in a depression. While in the standard setup position experiment with spinning the drill between the flats of your hands. You need to be able to do this in an easy, flowing rhythm with the drill tip rotating in the depression and not jumping out. A full hand roll involves using both your palms and your fingers and allows the fastest velocity of drilling. A palm roll involves just the palms of your hands, avoiding the fingers, and allows the greatest downward pressure.

H) Spinning the drill fast. Once you have mastered drilling smoothly you need to develop speed. The speed needed is up to about 4 cycles per second, or 8 reversals of the drill per second. Practice both full hand rolls and palm rolls up to this speed by observing a clock or watch second hand while drilling.
Drill6.jpg

I) Hand Moisture and friction. Dry skin is slippery. Damp skin is 5-10 x less slippery (much higher coefficient of friction). Wet skin is slippery again. You will never get fire unless you maintain your hands at the optimal dampness. This is because you will exhaust yourself quickly if you use unnecessary force to press your hands together to compensate for slippery hands in trying to get downward pressure.

Experiment. Start with cool dry hands. Rub them together and get used to the smooth, easy glide with little effort. Now moisten your hands a little. Either dip a finger in water or lick a patch of one palm, and rub the liquid over the palm surface of your hands. Initially slippery with the wet, as the water is absorbed it will suddenly become much harder to rub your hands together. With continued rubbing the hands dry and become slippery again. Learn how much moisture and how frequently you need to apply it keeps your hands at the most resistant (highest friction coefficient) most of the time. You will need to apply this when hand drilling with brief pauses while you remoisten your hands.

J) Bending from the hip. Practice your full hand roll and palm roll drilling with your hands traveling from the top of the drill down to the lowest third. Do this keeping your forearms level all the way down by bending from the hip. This allows the best mechanical advantage and for you to be able to use your upper body weight to add pressure as in the diagram.
Drill7.jpg

End of part 1

Reactions: Ed

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hand drill tutorial part 2 (draft)

K) Downward pressure. This is the application of the previous two skills. Fast spinning is not enough. Without downward pressure a fast spinning drill would generate little heat. The pressure you need to generate can be shown if you create the standard setup position with the addition of bathroom scales on the step and under the hearth board. (You need to do this without your foot to stabilise the hearth board. This usually is OK if there is a non slip surface on the scales). To get from cold up to smoking point I find I need to get the scales to be reading about 8 lb. For maintaining it at the smoking point I am using about 4 lb pressure. For the final effort to make the coal I am using about 14 lb pressure.
Drill8.jpg

Thumb loops option. While learning, if you initially have difficulty getting the hand dampness right you might try using thumb loops. Place the centre of the thumb loop cloth over the top of the drill and stabilise by tying with a few turns of string near the top. Hitch your thumbs into the two loops and start drilling using downward pressure with your thumbs in the loops.
Drill9.jpg

Floating technique option. Some people find it hard to quickly move the hands back up to the top (see below). An alternative is to learn to drill with downward pressure whilst keeping the hands still. This is tricky and takes practice. To try this you must angle your hands – one 45 deg. up and the other 45 deg. down and after each reversal of the drill switch the hand position from up to down or vice versa. Practice this in slow motion before attempting to move up to several cycles per second.
Drill10.jpg

L) Moving hands up the drill. When combining spinning and downward pressure (damp hands don't forget) the result is that your hands steadily slide down the drill. You need to practice being able to quickly shift your hands back up to the top and start the drilling again. You can move one at a time. Move the hands first and then use downward pressure to straighten your back as your restart drilling.

M) Keeping in the heat. When practicing hand drilling there is a great temptation to periodically lift the drill out of the depression to see if anything is happening or while re moistening your hands. Don't do this. You will let out the heat – wasting all your effort. When re moistening your hands take care to keep the drill tip in the depression.

End of part 2

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hand drill tutorial part 3 (draft)

Putting it all together.

The three phases of drilling. 1) From cold to smoke. With moderate (8 lb) pressure drill at 3-4 cycles (6-8 reversals) with a full hand roll. After about 30-90 seconds a wisp of smoke should appear at the drill tip. Stop for a few seconds. Do not lift the drill out.

2) Maintaining the smoke. Start drilling more lightly (4 lb). Smoke should soon appear again, as you have already done most of the work and the heat is preserved for a while. Pause before repeating again and again. Each time a wisp of smoke appears rest again. Over about 2 minutes smoke should come easier and easier as the wood heats up and your muscles and lungs recover from the initial effort. You should feel almost fresh again for the final effort. You should note that some brown dust is collecting in the notch.

3) Go for it. When you feel ready (moist hands still) start drilling with increased speed and pressure (up to 14 lb). Try and maintain the full hand roll but you may find you have to change to the palm roll. Work rapidly up to 3-5 long, fast spinning, high pressure passes down the drill. Loads of smoke should be coming from the drill tip now and the dust should be forming a pile right up to the lip of the depression. Then stop and take the drill out of the depression. If you have success then smoke will continue and increase from the pile of dust in the notch.

Progress check

Many people find that they progress to being able to get smoke with this method, but get stuck and make no more progress. Very well done to get that far! Be encouraged that it is actually hardly any more physically demanding to complete the task. Closer attention to all the skills and the three phases should bring results.

Health and safety issues

Chest pain - If you get any unexplained chest pain on exertion seek medical advice.

Heartburn – Too much bending can cause some people to get heartburn. If you suffer from this during or after attempting hand drilling you might try raising the step that you drill on.

Smoke inhalation – try to avoid inhaling smoke from your drilling. All smoke probably contains carcinogens and can damage lung lining with frequent, repeated exposure.

Stick fracture – This has never happened to me, but if it occurred could cause physical injury if you fell onto the upright drill fragment. Always drill in such a way that the drill is not directly under your face or neck, but to one side. Check your stick is sound before use.

Splinters – Check drill before use to avoid this

Backache – Avoid drilling if you have backache. Bending can cause further injury to the back.

Blisters and bruises – you should have smoothed sufficiently the drill to avoid unnecessary damage to the hands. However, the action of downward pressure and rolling the drill at speed can cause wear and tear to anyone's hands. If tenderness or blistering begins to occur it is time to stop for that day. Take a couple of days break. If you regularly practice hand drilling you will find that your hands adapt by developing thickened skin that is harder to injure.

Troubleshooting

Smoke but no fire – Physically you probably have the necessary strength and stamina if you have got this far. Just re-examine all the guidelines. Alternatively try with a friend. One of you could add downward pressure by using a top piece as in bow drilling. Or, you could take turns with the 3 phases to allow more energy available for the final stage 3.

Drill slips towards the notch – Sometimes a wider than average notch, or inexpert drilling results in the drill drifting into the notch. This makes fire difficult to obtain. You can often correct this by drilling at an angle back towards the original position of the depression. However, sometimes it is better to abandon that depression.

Drill flies out of the depression – If the depression is shallow and the drill not quite true then the drill can repeatedly jump out of the depression. As the depression wears deeper this should correct itself. Sometimes it is possible to gently bend the drill straighter.

Taking it further

Having succeeded with your first materials then you might like to extend your skills. Try it in a different location. Try it after damp storage. Exchange the provided parts with those of your own. Try different woods, and dimensions. Show someone else your skill. Teach someone else the skill.

End of part 3

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Rich59,
A great tutorial mate. Perhaps some photos of the various pieces and drilling positions might help. Nevertheless, it has encouraged me to give this method a go - once I get away from work that is - the grown-ups really don't like people playing with fire here ;)

Cheers

Ogri the trog

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
It would be nice to see a mod or tony sticky this or put it in with the articles. Very nice work indeed.

I'm still reading through it now trying to figure out how i'm going to fit this in with all the other things i want to try!!!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Photos -

I tried and failed to get my daughter to take some photos and videos of me hand drilling. However, I have a typical family who want little to do with bushcraft. Hence the little stick men.

I will seek further co-operation from the wider family if I can.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Biddlesby said:
Wow very comprehensive.

Question: why should there be pith in the centre of the drill?
That is an interesting question. Experience shows it is so, but exactly why has not been proven. A few suggestions:-

1) the pith itself is providing easily combustible material to the mix

2) a hollow in the middle being helpful, reducing the friction area.

3) Helps the shape of the depression formed during drilling

It might be a bit of all 3, or something else.

Number 2 is all about velocities and pressures. With the spinning hand drill the middle is moving slowly relative to the outer edge that is moving fast. High velocity means smaller particles to form the punk which is good. With a hard/ wooden centre to the drill then it would contribute a fair bit of material that did not get very hot and also bigger grains. Also, If all the force is through the ring of wood on the outside then that is a lot less area than if the whole disc is hard wood. This means more pressure for the same effort you put in and therefore more heat.

Number 3 is about the total surface area. With a hard centre to a drill you get a depression tending to taper to a narrower depression with sloping sides. This can dramatically increase the surface area you are drilling onto so that there is less concentration of the friction in a small area.

Personally I don't think number 1 is the answer. Sometimes you find the pith just compacts and your drilling results in a ring with a raised centre (as with an elderberry wood drill), but fire is easy to get when this happens. I don't see how the pith is doing much in this situation. Also, I find that creating a hollow in the end of a sycamore drill seems to help me get a coal. However, I am told that if you remove the pith from mullein then it is harder to get a coal.

Having said all that there are hand drill descriptions on the web where people appear to advocate having no pith and just wood in the centre. Maybe it does also depend on your own unique technique a little as well, and different woods will of course be different in performance.

this is my first ever attempt at a drill....

I am getting absolutely nothing from it at all.

drill.jpg

can anyone give me any pointers from the image ?

ps. it squeeks a lot!!

pps. I have managed after sometime to get the drill too hot to touch but the harth stays cold to touch

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Tom,

Fab to see your work on this. Well done so far.

Your picture is clearly before you did any or much drilling. I guess that the drill point is beginning to smooth out now? The squeaking comes from the rough edges. You could use sand paper to smooth off any knobbles, or just keep drilling to get the same effect. Squeaks usually resolve as you continue.

As you noted, heat comes as you progress and the surfaces wear down and match together. You won't get real heat until the drill and depression have molded themselves perfectly together. So you have to be patient in the early stages.

If you use the same drill and depression next time then the work you did today will allow you to progress further next time as you will be bedding them in better each time.

Don't worry about the temperature of the hearthboard at this stage.

From the materials you have got there I would expect you to be able to get some smoke in the next few tries. At the next session - do some drilling, pause to rest for a few seconds, drill again and so on, always keeping the drill firmly in the depression. Try not to burn yourself out. The longer you do this the more heat builds up, and the better you get at it the sooner you get to smoking point.

What wood is the drill?

A few thoughts on the hearth board. Good choice of size and thickness. I see it has been treated with a wood stain and therefore probably a preservative. I have trouble with such wood. Better to use a wood that has not been treated, as I think they may put fire retardants in it.

The depression and notch are nearly perfect. However, I would make the notch just a little deeper - so that the blunted point of the V shaped notch is definitely within the circle cut by the drill.

thanks for your comments (a great encouragement) :

in all honesty I'm not sure what wood the drill is, i picked it up while walking near home the other day. The bark stripped off very easily leaving a very smooth surface straight away. Its noth pithy in the middle but seems relatively soft.. I guessed it was beach as I was walking in an area aptly named the 'Beach woods'..

I have lots of pine (untreated) of a similar size to the treated wood used for the harth (would pine work well?), I'l also make the notch deeper next time..

Thanks again.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Pine is fine for hearthboard - I use it most of the time. But keep it good and warm and dry before use, otherwise it goes soft, fragments and polishes easily.

I agree your drill looks like beech. I have no experience of beech as a drill. By all means try. Any elder or buddleia around your parts?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've tried beech a couple of times - one thing to note is that it tends to dry very hard and smooth, which means it tends to neither form dust from itself, or 'tear up' the hearth to make dust there.

Elder is generally good though, and I'v had a recomendation of elder on elder for hand drilling (not tried this yet though). Box elder is a type of maple though (Acer Negundo) so I don't know how this will perform.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have done elderberry on elderberry. For a hearth board elder is challenging. It is a hard wood and tends to polish which means you don't get enough friction. There is a way round this - have a narrower drill because you get more pressure per square (or round!) centimetre.

I would suggest elderberry on pine as an excellent combination to learn on.

The elder wood you want is "nascent growth" (stuff that grew up tall and straight from low down perhaps after a previous prune). The lower end is often too thick. Cut drills where one end is 1-1.5cm diam when stripped of bark. With elder the other end will normally be larger than this.

If well stripped then 2 days in the airing cupboard provides me with a usable drill.

Elder is often generous and you can get several drills from one bush.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Should have said earlier that I suspect that elder on elder is NOT a nascent spindle on an old piece of wood, but is nascent spindle on nascent hearth - it is possible to use round sections as hearths, either by splitting, tying or roughing, but these are different skills, and add to the complications.

And I've just realised that elder on pine was my first success for a hand drill combination, so I'll vouch for what rich59 suggested :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE