Improvise and addapt or home made kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
I was wondering how many improvise or addapt non bushcraft kit to suit thier purposes? ie: coffee jar from TK Max for billy can (which I was really impressed with and mean to try) or do any of you make your own kit if so what and how long has it lasted?
Im always looking to save a couple of quid when I can and have never believed in spending mega bucks for anything unless I can see no other way (much to my wifes dismay).Alot of the stuff I take out (when I have been able too) is stuff I've had for ages or improvised and I was wondering how many people do this or is it a case of oh i need an Xitem and off to the shops you go?
(Basically I'm nosey and looking to save more penny's) :lol:

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
I'm always looking for ways to make kit at little or no expense. :wink: Billy cans from coffee and tomato juice cans, stoves from Coke cans, match safes from plumbing parts, you name it.

Thinking up and making the gear if half the fun, even if the experiments don't always work. :cool:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I think most people here adapt non bushcraft kit.... probably the most poular has to be 'the plastic film canisters' ....famous amongst bushcraft folk.... used for everything from keeping you matches dry to an improvised fishing float.
As for making kit, I made a hammock when I lived in asia.... still going.... just... after nearly 9 years.... looking a bit worse for wear now though.

:)
Ed

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Not sure how relevent this is, but a good way of getting a fire going with stuff around the house is with iron wool. Throw some sparks onto it, put it into your tinder, and you'll be amazed!

Jake :bu:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
with the help of my mum (ok my mum with my help) we have made some pockets for my rucsack from some old trousers, they have belt loops from jeans to hold them on. this is because my pack is about 12 years old so i cant get the proper pockets and other pouches cost a bomb. I've also modified a large baked bean tin for a stove. my mum made a head band for my maglite. for mountain bkinga made a front mud guard which got put in MBR

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
been pi**ed off with carrying a wood sawe blade around, never quite goes where you want it to, got hold of some 2'' velcro and some elastic

sew some elastic loops onto one side of the velcro, bung in the blade and afix to your belt of rucksack strap, really easy and cheap

i dont carry a billy can so dont put in there as ray recondmends, add a couple of extra 'loops' sewn lengthwise on the velcro for lighter or what have you

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
my trusty ultralight dual fuel stove has been going a while now, burner made from coke cans, pot stand and windshield made from bits of a disposable barbeque.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I use film pots a lot ... but not for anything I'm gonna stick in my mouth. That silver halide isn't good for you!

Go to anywhere that develop film (quickly before everyone goes digital), they'll give you all you ever need!

Ed said:
I think most people here adapt non bushcraft kit.... probably the most poular has to be 'the plastic film canisters' ....famous amongst bushcraft folk.... used for everything from keeping you matches dry to an improvised fishing float.
As for making kit, I made a hammock when I lived in asia.... still going.... just... after nearly 9 years.... looking a bit worse for wear now though.

:)
Ed

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
I use film pots a lot ... but not for anything I'm gonna stick in my mouth. That silver halide isn't good for you!
You won't get any from film containers. That is an urban legend. :wink:

Kodak Envirnmental Services: Information on 35 mm Plastic Film Containers
"Newspaper and magazine articles have mentioned "toxic residues" in the containers which might come from the film. There are none. The chemicals in a roll of film are embedded in the gelatin emulsion layers (about as thick as a human hair) and do not rub off the plastic film base.
In summary: There are no "toxic residues" in Kodak film containers. Because our film containers are not manufactured to comply with FDA or CPSC requirements, Kodak does not recommend the use of film containers for anything other than their intended manufactured purpose. However, if a customer chooses to use a Kodak film container for other than film storage, the container first should be thoroughly washed with soap and water."

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
I have read that the way to "clean" photograf containers is to fill with salt+water during 24 hours so salt react with toxic residues after that wash with soap and water.
Enjoy

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Urban legend or not, I'd rather not chance it for two reasons ...

First, I used to work a lot with metal salts and know that they aren't that good for you.

Secondly, my brother-in-law used to work for Kodak in film dev (his name is on the Kodak Gold tech patent), and he says that he wouldn't use them for anything you'd eat afterwards. He wasn't talking specifically about Kodak film but he did say that there was more risk of ingesting silver salts from cheaper films. But not only that, older film could leech the salts and if the film was damaged in any way, you again couldn't be sure.

Geletin or not, given how nasty silver halide is, I think I'll pass. If it was a cyanide salt sealed under a geletin layer, no one would chance it!

Powderburn said:
You won't get any from film containers. That is an urban legend. :wink:

Kodak Envirnmental Services: Information on 35 mm Plastic Film Containers
"Newspaper and magazine articles have mentioned "toxic residues" in the containers which might come from the film. There are none. The chemicals in a roll of film are embedded in the gelatin emulsion layers (about as thick as a human hair) and do not rub off the plastic film base.
In summary: There are no "toxic residues" in Kodak film containers. Because our film containers are not manufactured to comply with FDA or CPSC requirements, Kodak does not recommend the use of film containers for anything other than their intended manufactured purpose. However, if a customer chooses to use a Kodak film container for other than film storage, the container first should be thoroughly washed with soap and water."

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Tere is NO chance of silver halides contaminating a film cannister. When I was a photography student i even tried burning film,and it remains unaffected. If it leaked silver halides your negs wouldn't last the century or so that they do!
IMPOSSIBLE.
Rich

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
In a developed negative the silver halide has been reduced to black silver anyway so there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe it's just me. I'm not saying no one should use film pots for things they are going to eat, just that I'd rather not. :-D

Next time I'm bored I'll have to swab a few pots to see if I can detect the presence of AgBr.

Roving Rich said:
Tere is NO chance of silver halides contaminating a film cannister. When I was a photography student i even tried burning film,and it remains unaffected. If it leaked silver halides your negs wouldn't last the century or so that they do!
IMPOSSIBLE.
Rich

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
:shock: keep them ideas comin guys
And thanx for that link Dave a few things there I knew already but and quite a few I didnt :oops:
Btw old umbrella's can be made into handy lil bags (as yet nothing's gotten soaked that's been in one)

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I've also made stoves with old coke cans, for both Esbit and Alcohol. I made a nice pouch for my Leatherman from some trimmed off bits of nylon strap from a rucksac. I also recently made a sheath for a knife out of an old pair of Ben Sherman Leather moccasins :-D.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i have made loads of stuf mostly in the cloth area:

a 2 layer nylon rip-stop Zootsuit

a SAS type smock with 4 pockets, big buttons, zip, woolen cuffs, hood ect made from 2 US army BDU shirts!( i wish i'd done it in any colour but camo!)

various straps and webbing clips to improve webbing rucksacks ect.

pop riviting pouches to a webbing belt?(don't know if that counts)

i made a sniper smock including scrim(when i was younger :roll: )

made a hood for an M65 jacket.

an alpha tent(poles to convert a USponcho into a dome tent) and also equivilent poles for my UK basha!

made arctic mittens, and an arctic fur hat.

i've been adjusting and fixing for around 15 years!

i still have some projects!!!

a reversable windproof smock sandy brown to green/khaki would be nice with over trousers to match :roll: !

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i use film canisters to keep matches, tinder ect dry
i also made a small billy can out of an old soup tin

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Hmmm,
stove from a couple of red bull cans, lid for my crusader cup from a bit of old aluminium sheet, film cannisters for tinder, matches, hexi tabs,
bound to be more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE