Improvise and addapt or home made kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Red bull stove (having seen Grahams)
Likewise a crusader pot lid from an old pot.
Shirt from an army blanket.
Repaired the zips on my rucsac pouches with 2 salvaged zips.
Bags from trouser legs etc.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I think just about all my gear is now homemade:
down filled hammock
One of my synthetic quilts
Modified down quilt
3 ultralight packs
fleece jacket
beanie/ mittens
Gaiters
can stove
Silnylon tarp
Silnylon drybag
Mozzie net
Wool vest

Once you learn to sew a straight seam and gain confidence, you realise that just about all gear can be made simply (excuding baffled sleeping bags). Now I can make up a new pack for around AU$5, a simple hammock for $10 and a jacket for even less.
I did a trip a few days ago where for the 1st time, I relied solely on my homemade gear, and it was perfect for my needs. The great thing about being able to sew is, if something doesn't work the way you want it to, unstitch it and modify.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
wentworth said:
Once you learn to sew a straight seam and gain confidence..... .

Getting going with a sewing machine or needle and thread is one of the most useful skills I've learned over the last year.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Looking at it from the perspective of what SKILLS are most useful in modifying/making kit; I would say that the following skills are most useful:

Sewing
Tinsmithing

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
wentworth said:
Once you learn to sew a straight seam and gain confidence, you realise that just about all gear can be made simply (excuding baffled sleeping bags).

Oh, don't say that... :( I'm planning on making a baffled down underquilt (darted and asymmetric to boot) and I've got nowhere near the sewing experience you obviously do...

Go on then: what's so bad about baffles, and do you have any tricks to make it easier?

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
No! don't let me disuade you. It's something that I'd like to try, but the thought of sewing 15 or so pieces of noseeum mesh to lightweight nylon, then filling each with a pre measured amount of down and then sewing it up sounds complex.
My underquilt from JRB, although designed for an asym hammock is a simple rectangle. Is your quilt itself going to be asym?
Let us all know how yours turns out. You might even inspire me to have a go

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I know what you mean... ;) Especially the down-filling bit - that's going to get messy. Actually sewing the baffles should be fairly straight-forward, if tedious and time-consuming.

The design I'm working on is based on Partrick's Kickass Quilt, but with a more radical shape (think move the side "corners" closer to the ends) and a differential between the outer and the liner to ensure space between them. Mine will have rotational symmetry though - there will be no difference between the head and foot ends.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Are you still going for the "coffin" shape though? My quilt was based on Patrick's design and the HH tie-outs pass through D-rings on the quilt darts. I've not had a great deal of experience in this, but I feel that the side tie-outs are essential for a good fit on the quilt.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, pretty much... It's going to be used with a DD hammock though, so no side tie-outs. My experiments so far seem to indicate that it should work OK - you maybe need to pull the sides out when you get in (which you kinda need to do on a DD anyway to get it settled right), but once settled it should hold in place just from its shape and the shockcords.

I suppose I should really make another full-size prototype before commencing work on the real deal... I've already made one prototype, which is what convinced me that I needed to modify Patrick's design for my hammock / body. For the last few weeks, my living room has been scattered with plans and 1:10 paper models...

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Isn't the DD hammock double bottom so you can put in a pad? If you can make a baffled underquilt, then you can EASILY make a hammock to suit you. And I'll bet it will be lighter than the DD. Congrats on the quilt plan. It sounds great.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Once empty, the silver foil bag from the inside of a box of wine makes an excellent lightweight pillow.

The tap acts as a valve, push the button down and blow into it to inflate, push the button and squeeze the bag to let the air out!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
wentworth said:
Isn't the DD hammock double bottom so you can put in a pad? If you can make a baffled underquilt, then you can EASILY make a hammock to suit you. And I'll bet it will be lighter than the DD. Congrats on the quilt plan. It sounds great.

Yeah, it's double-skinned. I certainly could make my own hammock, but given that (a) I already have one, and (b) John's group buy ones are both good and cheap, it's not really a priority right now. The priority is to stop squirming around trying to stay on my mat. ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i would love to make my own hammocks, quilts etc
but im not much of a sewer as i am not very good
might have to learn

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheap tea strainer placed on top of a 111 burner makes a great radiant heater, add a foil pie dish for a reflector, works very well

111-12Small.jpg

111-14Small.jpg

Works on a Nova as well :)

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I made the Super Cat stove yesterday. Quite surprised how easy it was and that i didn't mess it up. :)

stovenb3.jpg

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
i just wanted to quote this from that homemade scout article- never thought of it, going to do it tomorrow!
Make a survival fishing kit out of an empty 35mm film cannister. Wrap fishing line around a small empty thread spool. Tie the end to a fishhook, and place in the cannister. When ready to use, take the spool of line out. Lay the line across the opening of the cannister and snap the lid back on for use as a bobber.

id add a few split weights and some kind of little spinner to that too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE