I'm looking for trousers patterns....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi all,

I am fed up with trousers being a compromise. I am 6 foot 6" and have ridiculously long legs (can get away with 34/35" leg but would like longer). So I am going to commision my sister to makke me a pair (I can sew, but she can REALLY sew).

So what I am after is a pattern. I have looked at all the patterns I can find useing search combinations around the words: combat/cargo/pants/trousers/mens etc... with no real joy. I would rip a pair of trousers I like up for a pattern, but I have been through them all, and as I said above they ALL to a pair have been a compromise.

I suppose what I am really after is if any one can point the way to something they have made up that has a good number of pockets, reasonably loose, as I want to be able to layer up underneath, sort of utility trousers. If I had a decent pattern to work from in the first place, I can make them up in cheap material before using the ventile that i crave, and make adjustments to them.

What attributes would you have on a decent pair of bushcraft/utlility/walking/outdoors trousers ???

Cheers all,

Chris

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I have the opposite problem im 5.11 live here in holland and the MINIMUM leg size is 32 and im 30!! So.. anyhow to get to my point rather than making you could try shopping in Holland, its inhabitants are on average the tallest people in the world and there trouser lengths star at 2 inches longer than me an I thought I was tall ;)

Maybe we can organise exchanges ;)

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Nice idea. I have been to Holland a couple of times, and noticed that there are guys as tall and taller than me!!

I find that it is fairly easy to make things shorter (when i have found them to be to long which is almost never), but there is never anything to turn down.

If you see anything over here that will fit, feel free to give me a shout.

If you could give me the dutch for "mens combat trousers pattern" I would be grateful, it would let me search.

Chris

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have the opposite problem im 5.11 live here in holland and the MINIMUM leg size is 32 and im 30!! So.. anyhow to get to my point rather than making you could try shopping in Holland, its inhabitants are on average the tallest people in the world and there trouser lengths star at 2 inches longer than me an I thought I was tall ;)

Maybe we can organise exchanges ;)

In the UK we seem to be getting that.

I am 28" and slowly we have been getting the minmium as 30/31.

Combats are a nightmare because the leg pocket always ends up over the knee.

Look at Tag Gears top range combats - I am going to make something like that in the next six months.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Nice idea. I have been to Holland a couple of times, and noticed that there are guys as tall and taller than me!!

I find that it is fairly easy to make things shorter (when i have found them to be to long which is almost never), but there is never anything to turn down.

If you see anything over here that will fit, feel free to give me a shout.

If you could give me the dutch for "mens combat trousers pattern" I would be grateful, it would let me search.

Chris

Barryasmith is right try endicots and shop for dutch combats these are likley to be longer..
If you get stuck let me know I got a list of stores somewhere in fact look for a post by neils in the europe group I think he put a list up. But it would be cheaper if you order local the pound is not so good at the moement..

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Try Pointnorth, they have a few trousers patterns in their list. Don't know if they are what you're after but its a start!

Well, I found the same pattern in the local material shop, and I bought some coated ripstop to make a pair up a) to see if I could and b) to see if the trousers were any good before expending a of cash on ventile that a) I might not be able to sew, and b) might not like the trousers.

So, after reading the instructions that made no sense to me or my misses, and realising that you get a jacket pattern as well as the trousers, we (my misses and me) cut out the paper pattern, and pinned it to the material... First problem, as these will be waterproof, you gotta be careful where you pin. Then cut out the the pattern.

Brilliant, I thought, now, just start sewing (this is not the forst time i have sewed stuff with a machine by the way). So, I get the ordinary thread, and sew up the pockets, as per instructions. perfect. then get the top thread, to sew the outsides of the pockets..... try it out on a piece of scrap, and it turned into a birds nest. I know, just turn up the tension... any way cut a long story short, I HAVE HAD TO ADMIT DEFEAT, and send it up to my sister, either the machine is screwed, or the fabric is the problem, or and this is the one I am liable to go with, I just dont have the skills.

So, we will see what we will see, when my sister send them back. If this comes off, she is a dab hand with a sewing machine (makes wedding dresses) so should be able to knock up ventile strides with no real porblem. Will post pictures when they are done.

Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE