I'm looking for a tough over shirt? Ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello all,

I've searched the forum but not found anything specific to what I'm looking for. I've recently damaged my good fleece jacket (worn under a Swiss Alpenflage jacket) I assume it was caught on a thorn etc.

Anyway I'm looking for a tough over shirt for general outdoors work, I'm thinking maybe heavy cotton canvas. Don't want a hood or anything. Ideally just green and not camo.

Anyone used one of these?
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2231

If not, your suggestions on something cheap would be much appreciated!
Troutman

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm wearing one of those Czech shirts right now, having purchased one earlier this week. It is a reasonable weight cotton, with a single neck fastening (button), and I think makes a reasonable over shirt. For the price you aren't going to get high performance, or really heavyweight fabric, but at the price I am perfectly satisfied with it.

It does have elasticated cuff on the sleeves, which I don't much like, and I will probably get the elastic removed, but then again I normally complain that sleeves are a bit short on me, and this is excellent by comparison.

Let's be honest, at that price you might as well take a punt on it. I'm perfectly happy with mine.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks guys. For the price I was thinking the same.

Harvestman- that's good to know. I have found the sleeves too short on surplus items too! Think I may go for one of these! What's the sizing like?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I went for an XL, as although I'm a puny chest size I need a 40-42 chest at least to get the necessary arm length. Since this is meant to be an outer layer garment, it should be a bit big anyway, and the XL was right for me. Delivery from Military Mart was 4 working days, as they said at the time of the order, so perfectly happy there too.

Note that postage will be more than the shirt though. You will just have to buy something else as well to make it worthwhile. :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Harvestman. Think I will go for one!

Graham- good suggestion I used to have a Titan smock (when they were made in the UK, maybe they still are).

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Something you might consider, especially on colder days, is a us army cold weather wool shirt. You can pick them up on eBay for 15/20 quid. It's a great thick woolen shirt (almost a jacket) button up front and two chest pockets, olive green. Good as an outer layer or mid layer. Cheap alternative to swanndri etc. I love mine had years of use out of if.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have a look at the smock shop, they do heavy cotton traditional smocks, they come in at about £25 all in. Very hard wearing, & become very soft after a few washes. I got mine for bushcraft/outdoors type stuff, but now wear it for work(i'm a gardener).
I will be getting a couple more soon & have company logo on the back, so my lads can wear them when working for me. They are good value for money & made in England, well Cornwall but thats near enough !.

Rob

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I went for an XL, as although I'm a puny chest size I need a 40-42 chest at least to get the necessary arm length. Since this is meant to be an outer layer garment, it should be a bit big anyway, and the XL was right for me. Delivery from Military Mart was 4 working days, as they said at the time of the order, so perfectly happy there too.

Note that postage will be more than the shirt though. You will just have to buy something else as well to make it worthwhile. :)

I was just about to make the purchase, until you mentioned the sizing. If an "XL" is 40/42" then an XXL is never gonna fit me!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was just about to make the purchase, until you mentioned the sizing. If an "XL" is 40/42" then an XXL is never gonna fit me!

No, I said I went for an XL to make sure it it gave me enough arm length. it did, and with some to spare. The actual sizes of the XL I'm not sure of, but it is certainly more than a 40-42 chest. I don't mind if it is a bit big on me. I wore the shirt outdoors today for the first time, over a Norgee clone, and it performed really well. I'd say take a punt on whatever size you think should work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE