I'm baaaack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hey folks! :wave: I figure there's at least 2 or 3 people here that must have noticed I've been gone. :) Been working and playing. I was recently in the upper peninsula of Michigan at a friend's cabin for a little hunting this past week. The grouse were scarce and the deer were well hidden but the UP was in full autumnal color. I had beautiful weather and wonderful color. Here is a link to some pics.

Now all I have to do is read over 5,000 posts to catch up with the rest of ya. :shock: :shock:

UP Autumn

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Hoodoo said:
Hey folks! :wave: I figure there's at least 2 or 3 people here that must have noticed I've been gone. :) Been working and playing. I was recently in the upper peninsula of Michigan at a friend's cabin for a little hunting this past week. The grouse were scarce and the deer were well hidden but the UP was in full autumnal color. I had beautiful weather and wonderful color. Here is a link to some pics.

Now all I have to do is read over 5,000 posts to catch up with the rest of ya. :shock: :shock:

UP Autumn

Welcome back mate, you should just about finish those posts in time for your next break :eek:):

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
welcome back to civilisation :lol:

lovely pics too mate , i am jealous

poor trees barely get a chance to show colours like that here in scotland

was asking my dad (who has a lifelong interest in forrestry) about it, his explanation was that long warm and fairly dry autumns allow the trees an opportunity to "dump" toxins into the leaves before they fall. a kind of built in waste disposal if ya like which is responsible for the beautiful reds and oranges. He has planted several canadian maples here which he can watch from the house in the autumn, and the colours are better........ untill they get ripped off by the first gale that is lol

Tant

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hoodoo you lucky :tapedshut: :lol:

Those pictures make me "home" sick :cry:

Glad you had a good time. Was the weather like that the WHOLE time?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I thought you hadn't been around for a while and I was right - you were out somewhere we would have like to have gone!
Those pictures are making me look forward to the trees turning colour. Ours won't be as spectacular but good none the less.

Welcome back!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hoodoo, you're evil.......tormenting us like this! I lived in Canada for a couple of years and it's this time of the year that I really miss it :cry:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The weather was pretty spectacular. I think it only rained once during the time I was there. I went up on a Friday night (bad weather to drive in--it actually snowed) and left on a Monday so that was around 10-11 days I was there. I was in northern Wisconsin prior to that for two weeks, living in my little camper, and the weather was pretty awesome then as well. This has been a really weird summer. I heard on the radio that the mean temperature for September was higher than the mean temperature for June, July, and August combined. So the spectacular Fall really makes up for the cool summer we had.

Y'all are invited anytime! :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Tantalus said:
welcome back to civilisation :lol:

lovely pics too mate , i am jealous

poor trees barely get a chance to show colours like that here in scotland

was asking my dad (who has a lifelong interest in forrestry) about it, his explanation was that long warm and fairly dry autumns allow the trees an opportunity to "dump" toxins into the leaves before they fall. a kind of built in waste disposal if ya like which is responsible for the beautiful reds and oranges. He has planted several canadian maples here which he can watch from the house in the autumn, and the colours are better........ until they get ripped off by the first gale that is lol

Tant

Lovely pictures Hoodoo!

You dad is spot on Tant. The reason you can 'see' these pigment colours is because they are usually hidden behind the green colour of the chlorophyll in the leaves (converts the sunlight into energy for the tree via of photosynthesis etc). As the sunlight hours decrease so does the chlorophyll production and as it disappears the other colours become visible. Hence the autumn colours of the 'Fall' :) You also need sunny days for the brightest colours and also the acidity of the soil affects they colour.

Simon

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
You keep this Hoodoo, you have me leaving the desert and heading back to dairyland. Well not before spring. :wink:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hoodoo,
Looked at the pictures :roll: was do'in fine untill you said it snowed on the way there (then my pants exploded!).
Does the food get mundane on these outings :naughty: I know my way round a frying pan :wink: and could banish "gritz" forever and introduce you guys to Nouvelle Camp Cuisine :naughty: ( I recommend the Porridge :lol: , fine stuff, actually eaten by William Wallace, and possibly a food of the founding fathers). MoMs Apple Pie will pale into insignificance once you have tried Rhubarb Crumble (with Custard :super: ).
Mr Sears gastromic ramblings cannot compare with the truly "modern" approach of Mrs Beeton and her Oyster Patties :p .
Yours hopefully
NEIL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE