I'm after a good pair of hard wearing boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One thing I recommend is to avoid goretex lined boots like the plague. I believe GTX liners are nothing more than marketing gimmicks and are not suitable for footwear becuase once wet, a GTX lined boot will stay wet forever.

I much prefer a full leather unlined boot as they are waterproof and actually have a chance of drying out in the field! Unfortunately most civilian boots are GTX lined so army surplus maybe the way to go, I use latest issue German army issue boots and cannot fault them.

For summer use they are a big no no due to how high up the leg they go. I've yet to find a good short leg unlined boot for summer hiking, so I wear Merrel approach shoes instead, which I dislike becuase they are not leather and you get soaked simply by walking on wet grass!

I agree, the only pair of "walking boots" I possess, are never worn now, after one incident when I was up over my ankles in a bog.

In this recent wet weather I have gone walking with a friend who has been constantly complaining about wet and soggy feet. I have been wearing my Sandals, even through the mud and not been complaining. You do have to be careful with Sandals though, there is a lot of cheap rubbish about, that will fall apart on you at the wrong moment. I have a pair of Merrels for the country, and Timberland for Urban use.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've had my pair of Doc martens for 5? years now, and although the quality control regarding tongue placemnt and stiching and total lack of insole is bad they arestill tough as heck and in one piece. I chose for the mid shin high pair and they cost around £70.I won't be buying them again as the price doesn't refelct the attention to detail (made in china!..) so i've been looking at these:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grisport-Co...5U/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1344811499&sr=8-39

anyone tried those?

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
That sounds like a lot of fun, are you travelling for the sake of travel or is there a specific activity you plan for each country ie climbing mountains or such.

If you plan to simply travel around the world there really isn't one boot that will suit every location, however you will be able to pick up appropriate footwear in those countries, which you should bear in mind as everything you leave home with will probably be lost, broken or stolen long before your return, the only really important bit of gear is you, as long as you make it back with a head full of great memories, thats all that really matters. :)

Here is a pair of boots that did travel around the world...

boots.jpg

...for much of the journey they were strapped to my pack, it being too hot to wear boots, I wore various pairs of sandals instead.

A bit of both really, I've been travelling for a while now, I've been to a number of hot countries with boots and it can get a bit uncomfortable but on the other hand it does protect my feet from mosquito and other pesky insects. What boots are those?

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Mate, please take my advice - plenty of young recruits make the mistake and buy Lowa Combats- purely as the word combat is in the title. They are a very high boot, which can lead to problems for some people- they also don't have the Assymetric walking position that the Mountain boot has which gives you a more supportive natural gait.
The Lowa mountains are by far the superior and more comfortable boot and are about the same height as most military boots the Combats are a fair bit taller.
The Lowa Mountains are the most comfortable things I've ever work on my feet and now also come in green nubuck and a brown.
Thanks for the info.:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A bit of both really, I've been travelling for a while now, I've been to a number of hot countries with boots and it can get a bit uncomfortable but on the other hand it does protect my feet from mosquito and other pesky insects. What boots are those?

These are Meindl Borneos.

Insects can be a pain, as can scorpions, snakes or foot injuries. However wearing a pair of heavy boots day after day for months will destroy your boots, and possibly your feet, they will not have a chance to properly dry out, also you will go through socks like they are going out of fashion and it is not so easy to buy decent ones in some parts of the world.

Your feet were not designed to be wrapped in wool/nylon and leather, especially if your feet are actually doing what they were designed for which is moving you long distances. :)

Think about a pair of all terrain sandals, you can wear those during the day or around camp and put your boots on for rocky environments or when night falls.

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
These are Meindl Borneos.

Insects can be a pain, as can scorpions, snakes or foot injuries. However wearing a pair of heavy boots day after day for months will destroy your boots, and possibly your feet, they will not have a chance to properly dry out, also you will go through socks like they are going out of fashion and it is not so easy to buy decent ones in some parts of the world.

Your feet were not designed to be wrapped in wool/nylon and leather, especially if your feet are actually doing what they were designed for which is moving you long distances. :)

Think about a pair of all terrain sandals, you can wear those during the day or around camp and put your boots on for rocky environments or when night falls.

Those are showing a bit of wear and tear how long have you had them for?

Next time I go somewhere really hot I'll get some sandals, I could have done with some earlier in the year when I was Thailand. But I'm a long time boot wearer, tried trainers, shoes but they never last long, I even went through a long period of wearing steel cap boots, strong boots but far to heavy.

I'm going to France for the winter so sandals will definitely be out.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Those were purchased in 1997 (or early 98), I have walked a little under 5000 miles in them (they are on their third set of soles).

:)

I'm interested in the soles. The soles on my Alt-Bergs last a lot better than that (rough guess three to six times better) but the material of the soles is pretty hard and I've always said they aren't very 'grippy'. In fact the soles on my wellingtons apparently last longer than the Meindls. Are the Meindl soles soft, or are you very hard on boots?

To put some numbers on it, I generally walk 1500 to 2000 miles per year just taking the dogs out in the mornings. That's either in boots or wellingtons. Depending on the construction the wellingtons take about two or three years of that, apart from a bit of tramping around in the garden they don't do much else. The soles on my current wellingtons (Muck Boot Tay) are still fine after two years -- I'd say there's at least another couple of years left in them -- the trouble is the uppers and insole are completely shot. I wouldn't have them again. The uppers on my previous pair of Muck Boots (Tack Classic) were still perfectly fine after a couple of years, but the soles were terrible for grip and they wore through. That's why I got the Tays. :(

The insoles in my Alt-Bergs are as tough as the rest of them, and as comfortable. I can just about live with the grip except on damp rock when I sometimes have to crawl. What I'm really looking for is something like the Alt-Bergs but with soles at least as grippy and long-lasting as the soles on the Tays.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
A good fit is very important, it's always best to try perspective new boots in the afternoon or evening when your feet have swelled to their max. size. Try on different types/makes, don't rush, take your time, it's your feet and your wallet!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm interested in the soles... Are the Meindl soles soft, or are you very hard on boots?... trouble is the uppers and insole are completely shot...but the soles were terrible for grip and they wore through..."

The pair of boots in the photograph are on their third set of soles. I am hard on boots, I walk in all sorts of terrain but the ones pictured spent much of their early life walking in Central Europe, Southern Spain and Africa. Very dry conditions, not at all good for the leather and lots of rocky paths, or no paths at all.

The first set of soles (the Meindl ones lasted a very long time, they were grippy and had a softer material sandwiched between the tread and the boot.

The second soles did not last as long and were whatever soles Graham Tiso's of Edinburgh were putting on boots back then.

The leatherwork of the boots has lasted well, a split did occur just above my right ankle, it leaked but showed no sign of getting any bigger and was fixed when I returned home.

The 'grippy-ness' of all the soles was fine. :)

I should also mention that I have a newer set of Meindl Borneos, the soles of which have started to split after only 3000 miles, so as everywhere, standards are perhaps falling. :(

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Ok, so I bougtht the lowa mountain boot today, actually went to the shop to buy them rather than get them off the internet I'm glad I did too. First impressions: Just by touching them without trying them on, I could see these boots were very tough and good quality, a different quality to the 20 to 50 boots I normally get. I do find them a bit heavy but they are comfortable, I'll probably get some extra insoles. I definitely couldn't see myself wearing these all the time if I'm in the tropics. I think these boots will last me a long time.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Second day impressions, the boots feel more comfortable than they did yesterday, I can hardly bring myself to take them off. My only concern is that the treads on the sole seem thin.

..actually went to the shop to buy them rather than get them off the internet I'm glad I did too.
Well done!! I should never buy boots without trying it.. to fit your foot is the most important thing, more than the grip of the sole, the membrane and whatever.

Regarding the grip of rubber soles:
no rubber is perfect for all surfaces... and as more grip you ask, as less durable will be the sole.
It's only a matter of compromise.. Vibram found his good one, but only on some products not on all Vibram branded soles

(sorry for my english.. :))

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I agree with all that's been said about you get what you pay for and try before you buy. My Burma pros gave up last year. I bought a pair of karrimors as a stop gap which fell apart the first time going over a mountain in Greece. In January I was in TK ans tried on a pair of Regatta Soft Shell. I have never tried on a pair of boots which felt so good straight away.i bought them as another stop gap £29.99. I fully expected them to fall apart but they havn't and my feet havn't got wet. Used them all through the wet summer walked about 400 miles and pottered in them and they are as good as new. Would still prefer another pair of Burmas but for £30 they have been brilliant.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I agree, the only pair of "walking boots" I possess, are never worn now, after one incident when I was up over my ankles in a bog.

In this recent wet weather I have gone walking with a friend who has been constantly complaining about wet and soggy feet. I have been wearing my Sandals, even through the mud and not been complaining. You do have to be careful with Sandals though, there is a lot of cheap rubbish about, that will fall apart on you at the wrong moment. I have a pair of Merrels for the country, and Timberland for Urban use.

I broke my own rule and got out the goretex boots to go up Snowdon. You know what, it rained and they filled up so that I was permanently walking in my own puddle. Should've worn gaiters, but honestly that is going too far, it is supposed to be summer.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I bought a pair of Derwent Trail boots on Tuesday, on sale for £19.99 at "Go Outdoors".

No connection to the chain etc., blah, blah, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how good they are. Much better than the supposedly waterproof High Tech chukka boots I bought. Waterproof? Aye in a bone dry desert they might be.

The down side? Next week they're on sale for £9.99 - doh!

Well that'll teach me.

The right sole has split, should've have stuck to wellies.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE