I'm a rubbish prepper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Also how can a car be a Faraday cage to protect you in a lightening storm but not to protect its self from an EMP? my bet is all the cars would be fine.

Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is an electromagnetic wave similar to radio waves, and a radio will work in a car, I don't know the full reason , but i would imagine that is is to do with wavelength, I would of thought that the box would have to be fully enclosed with no holes and/or gaps, and the electronic board would have to be fully insulated from the outside casing, this is only my very simplistic view on this

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is an electromagnetic wave similar to radio waves, and a radio will work in a car, I don't know the full reason , but i would imagine that is is to do with wavelength, I would of thought that the box would have to be fully enclosed with no holes and/or gaps, and the electronic board would have to be fully insulated from the outside casing, this is only my very simplistic view on this

Simplistic perhaps. But not far off the mark I suspect.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
29 but then I am a bit low on stocks at the moment. As for my vehicle being EMP proof I have no idea, nor I expect has anyone else....

Probably the other way round. If it WERE EMP proof you'd know it as it's an expensive way to go.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Also how can a car be a Faraday cage to protect you in a lightening storm but not to protect its self from an EMP? my bet is all the cars would be fine.....

If they'd all be fine then there wouldn't be so many government plans regarding pulse weapons (both deploying said weapons and protecting from them)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Simplistic perhaps. But not far off the mark I suspect.

The place I work at makes electronic housings that have to be protected from EMP and Chemicals... and I know some of the Tolerances on the mating surfaces are shall we say very tight. so that's part of my guess work, along with being a bit of an engineer.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
56 - no weapons and I don't do canned meals !!! Oh and I've no bug-out place as I'm actually living in it! And I've no bug-out vehicle - sigh! However, I think my chances are quite good as I don't agree with their premises on what's needed for survivial. And anyway, i call it living :lmao:

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I have also non lethal weapons such as paintball markers which I have about 4000 paintballs for and enough air in the bottles for it as well at, as well as knives,....

Don't think paint ball qualifies as any type weapon (lethal or non-lethal) Usually non-lethal refers to impacy weapons such as police batons or pepper spray or tazers.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The place I work at makes electronic housings that have to be protected from EMP and Chemicals...
You're probably thinking of EMC which isn't quite the same thing..

EMP or "Electro Magnetic Pulse" Is basically a very strong, fast moving magnetic field. When a changing magnetic field travels past a conductor (wire) a voltage is generated. This effect is used in things like generators and transformers.

The faster the change - the bigger the voltage induced
the more length of wire in the magnetic field - the bigger the voltage induced
The stronger the magnetic field - the bigger the voltage induced..

Now if you can produce a very strong, very fast moving magnetic field (like on the leading edge of a nuclear blast wave, for example) Then even a couple of feet of wire - like you have in your car wiring loom - can generate voltages large enough to damage whatever is hanging on the end of that wire - like your car's engine management unit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE