Im a celeBRATY

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I know its not bushcraft and I know its only TV BUT ........

Did anyone watch it?

I did and I found it fansinating especially after our recent threads about TEOTWAWKI, the difference in the way people reacted in the first programme was amazing.

Yes, its an artificial enviroment and as such we would laugh at it as being 'the wilderness' (even though most of the areas we camp in are just as artificial in many ways) but the stress Natalie placed herself under tipified the curl up and die mind set of the loosing the will to live type - while Janet, beginning an old rambler, took it all in her stride.

Will be interesting to see how it progresses .......... and yes I did vote too!! :nana:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Gary....I have to admit I've watched every series they've done so far...you're quite right about it being controlled but for me it's just entertainment and I love to see how they all react.

My wife (who's a TV addict and watches this, Big Brother, Pop Idol, X-factor and pretty much every soap there is) enjoys this too and it's about the only time I'm allowed to bring the subject of bushcraft up without getting that "glazed" look from her.
It was interesting to notice how my wife thought Natalie was a silly cow for going in there in the first place, knowing she had OCD and a healthy fear of pretty much everything when my reaction was that maybe it wasn't the brightest idea but all credit to her for having the bottle to at least try it.... It's funny but I personally think that if she can get over the first week, she'll start to like it more and more and could be a star! Just have to wait and see but the way I see it; if she's got the bottle to go in then she's got the bottle to stay....hope I'm right, it'd be really good for her confidence.

Should be interesting watching her do the bushtucker trail tonight! :eek:):

I have to say, I expected to like Janet S-P but after last night I get the feeling she's going to bug the poo out of me before long!

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Nope,i dident watch it.I think this programe is bad enough,dont get me started on big brother.I just cannot stand this reality tv,i think its total and utter jacksie rot.Having said that i did watch SAS are you hard enough, :lol: .

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I found myself watching one of the preview programmes for this series the other day on ITV2 - it was where Phil Tufnell was taken back to see the camp and to try out the bushtucker trials as they developed them. Lots of interesting bits about the fauna, especially the spiders, and on how the security is run. Most satisfying bit was seeing the bushskills guy failing miserably to start a fire the 'proper' way and Tuffers pulling out a trusty bic lighter :rolmao:

leon-1

bambodoggy said:
I have to say, I expected to like Janet S-P but after last night I get the feeling she's going to bug the poo out of me before long!

Sorry mate, but could you imagine that voice after a couple of days, it would turn me homicidal in hours (maybe even minutes), I was interested in the way that "Huggy" was looking at things, you know get there, get the fire on the go and start to get sorted out, he seems very driven.

Natalie, yep if she can get through the first bit she'll probably be O.K. Must admit though that her carrying on got on my nerves to start with, then I sat back and thought that all she has to do is find something that she really likes about the jungle.

That would appear to be her major problem, she focuses on the negative and doesn't look for the positive in things.

It's looking like Sheila will be the mum of the camp, shoulder to cry on and general agony aunt and it looks like Fran is going to be the camp joker.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep watched mostly because I was too tired after the weekend to move of the sofa.(great weekend the Snow). I really am amazed that Natalie actually got as far as she did but My wife feels all a little to dramatic to be believed we'll see. Huggy is cool do I like him and his attitude.

James

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I think Huggy is cool too....top attitude but...

There's an American version that we get over here on ITV2 (yes, the wife makes me watch that too) and that's cool but I think there's got to be enough Brit D-list celebs to fill our show without the need for the two americans (and I don't mean anything whatsoever bad towards the states by this)...to me I like a Brit show with Brits for Brits (and anyone else who wants to watch) and an American show with Americans for the Americans (and anyone else who wants to watch)....just my opinion.

I'd really love to have seen Noel Edmunds in the bush....total revenge from that gunge thing he used to do!!!! :eek:): I think he'd crack fairly sharpish!!!!

Heck...I'm nervous about hitting the submit button now for fear of offending our US friends.....guys, I'm really not meaning to be poo'y about this so hope you don't take it the wrong way :p

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Didn't expect to find a thread on Bushcraftuk on "I am a celeb..."! :lol: ! Wouldn't have dared starting a thread on it for fear of everyone laughing at me but...well... I did watch it too last night.

The program had already started.

Was anyone as shocked as I was by the TREATMENT OF THE ANIMALS that are thrown on this guy lying down (don't know his name, I am afraid apart from Janet I don't know any of these guys, one of the blokes looks like Princess Diana's butler Paul but I doubt it's him... :lol: )?

They were throwing these animals about (insects, etc) with no regard and after he had got up the lobsters were left to fend for themsleves out of the water, struggling in earth, they seemed to be just forgotten. It's a case for the RSPCA. These hundreds of creatures used just to orchestrate a stupid program.

Having said that I did watch it and I don't always mind stupid programs but if animals are used, they should make sure all these creatures are treated with extreme care for their well being, and the people in the program have also to be seen to treat them with respect.

I agree about Janet, I have a lot of time for Janet, am rather a fan of hers but last night she wasn't anyhthing we had known her to be...remember her as an intrepid hiker? Well she looked like she didn't like the group too much, but I am not aware of other episodes (in case this is not the first one) and missed the beginning of last night's so maybe you know what she was brooding about! :lol: !

The set looks like it's made of plastic (plastic palms etc). Could be shot in a studio. I too prefer the SAS programs.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Nomade,
It was the first show and I couldn't see any reason (other than her not liking them) why Janet had the grumps.
That Paul bloke was Dianna's butler!

I'm not sure where I stand on the cruelty issue but it is a very fair point you've made :shock: I might warn you not to watch too much more though if that upset you as further on they start making the celebs eat the grubs raw and alive...(I've eaten some pretty horrid things in my time but I tend to like them dead and cooked first!) Don't think the RSPCA would have juristiction over there...maybe the RASPCA... It does seem a little harsh now I think about it to use all those grubs just for "entertainment".

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Andy said:
It was made by the BBC. I liked castaway 2000 as well
I didn't see castaway either,to be honest i watch very little tv,i prefer the radio or a book these days.I think the quality of tv has really fallen over the last 7 or 8 years.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Yes it is surprising these issues with the animals they use in these programs don't seem to be raised by anybody, they may get some letters from viewers.

I don't mind at all seeing a traditional tribe eating any of these creatures because they need it as food and have done so for centuries, but just because TV programs are looking for more and more strange things to show in order just to increase their ratings (to just keep the viewer watching because people are attracted by what shocks them or surprises them), I find they should stick to objects and not use animals.

It is also about the influence it may have on children and the very young: showing them disrespect for life and living creatures used as mere accessories on the set. Also emphasizing that insects and worms, snakes etc are supposed to be disgusting and creepy when in fact they are not. And it's wrong to teach for example children that they are.

Sorry I hope this doesn't sound too pontificating, it's not meant to :lol: !

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Forgot to say: tonight it's Janet with the snakes. Well like millions of people I couldn't resist watching last night as somebody was pushing a shopping trolley made of bamboo on a string over a valley...at the end they chose Janet for something with snakes tonight.

Yes Bambodoggy I eventually saw last night that the Paul-the-butler lookalike had "Paul" written on his T-shirt and was talking about the Royal Family so it had to be him.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Janet S-P is still an old grumpy knickers and is still likely to annoy me but heck....all credit to her for that snake thing...I'd have given it a go but after the first strike (let alone first bite)I'd have been outta there like a shot!!!!
Fair play to her for finishing it despite several strikes and at least TWO bites! I almost hate to say it as she's been so grumpy but....JANET ROCKS!!!! :super:

Sorry Nomade....to me they are almost all horrid creepy crawlies (still no reason to use them or kill them without just cause) but as a chap who's slept in the jungle on several occations....they are horrid! :shock: Or maybe I'm just a scaredy cat! :eek:):

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
She certainly does have some funny idea's but why would she want to ban everyone but the ramblers?

Hey!!!!! Vic Reeves has arrived, should brighten the place up a little! :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE